Video: Mike McCarthy says Cowboys will make a big mistake if fire him

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Who would your pick for the next head coach be. Any solutions instead of just complaints ?
DQ might be the best if you want someone with Skins on the wall. Zimmer I like, obviously if he brings a solid modern OC.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
It’s time for everybody associated with the Cowboys to just stop talking. Go on vacation and come back and get back to work. Stop talking to the media. I don’t hear anyone from the Cardinals still yapping about the game or how good Kliff Kingsbury is.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
The fact that nob9dy can say what MM actually does says it all. Same as Garrett his last few years. What do you do WELL?

Creeper

Reaction score
This situation sounds like it is spinning out of control. It sounds like Mike is daring Jerry to fire him and that is just dumb. I don't blame McCarthy for the loss to the 49ers. But he is the head coach and the buck does stop with him when it comes to game decisions. But to fire him to hire Dan Quinn is the bigger mistake, I think. Why did Jerry have so much patience with clapper?

TheHerd

Reaction score
Well, duh. MM's not going to say, "I'm a lousy coach who deserves to get fired."

If I thought this season were a stepping stone to becoming a much better team that can advance further in the playoffs, I would be all for retaining MM. I just don't think that. This team just had too many bizarre and unforgivable errors.
And the same errors from the start of the season until the playoff exit. All the signs were there all year for everyone to see. Everyone said the penalties didn't matter because we won the game. MM clock mismanagement didn't matter because we won the game. The drops didn't matter because we won the game. The missed tackles didn't matter because we won the game. The missed receivers and inaccurate passes didn't matter because we won the game. The missed FGs and XPs didn't matter because we won the game (I'm assuming Greg would have missed the XP and we lose in OT even if we scored at the end).
But all those things are the identity of the team and it came through when the pressure was turned up. It always does.
I know all of these things aren't completely on the coach, but some are and all needed to be addressed.

JustChip

Reaction score
I’m neither a MM fan or hater. I was ambivalent about the hire and thought fans put way to much into him being a SB winning coach. And his decisions in 2020 were highly suspect.

That said, this team met or exceeded most people’s preseason expectations by winning 12 games. Sure, the NFCE was weak, but part of the reason was Dallas was that much better.

It’s not a ringing endorsement, but I think MM has earned another year. Firing him now would be a Steinbrenner move. I expect the team to backslide next year because of the roster turnover and schedule so the opportunity to move on from him after next year will be there if I’m right.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I did not see this posted or maybe i missed it

I like the confidence. Speak the truth

if he has to hear the rumors and nonsense why not respond in kind. if everyone publicly spoke about your job on the line you would respond the same way,

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
If those were his words I'd fire him immediately. Weak power play by a desperate man. This guy just can't keep his mouth shut when that's obviously the best move right now.

Aven8

Reaction score
I’ve always been behind Mike but it would be wild if Jerry were to fire him after a 12-5 year and after only two years. Really wild. IMO you give him in another year, fire Philbin, demote Moore if he doesn’t leave, and get another awesome DC. If that doesn’t work hire Payton in 2023 when his contract is up.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
This franchise is a mess. The FO has done a fantastic job mostly with the roster but the process of hiring coaches is just a mess. One goofball after another