Video: Mike McCarthy says Cowboys will make a big mistake if fire him

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Don’t tempt JJ. It’s his team. MM may admit if fired that he was not in charge. He will say he wanted to call the plays but was not allowed and Moore was calling dumb plays the second half of the year and no longer did his homework. And JJ wouldn’t let him call plays..

If thats the case MM is crazy for not going to the media now with that...if he did Jones would have no recourse but to give him control next year and he would fail or succeed but it would be his way.

This is why i Dont believe the "Jerry takes control" I believe these coaches take the job knowing full well thats whats going to happen. Other wise they would be like Jimmy and Bill and use the media to make Jerry back off.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I cannot believe that none of the McCarthy cheerleaders haven't shown up.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
they shouldn't.
this loss is on the players...hold them accountable.
last i looked,mccarthy isn't the gm.
this is on the gm and the players.
mccarthy should stay.

The players deserve some blame. But penalties and nerves (MM’s own analysis of what contributed to the L) are BOTH a direct reflection of preparation and focus— and coaching is directly responsible for BOTH of those areas in regards to team management.

MM wouldn’t be fired because he is a lousy football coach. He would be fired for not having his team prepared, focused, and motivated to play in the most important game of the year.

And if he doesn’t have them ready when the roster is stacked with talent (JJ believes this to be the truth, so our opinion as fans is irrelevant)— what makes JJ or anyone believe MM can have them ready to play when the roster is softer and less talented?

MM has created more pressure on himself by his postgame comments and blame shifting. I hope he gets fired for that alone. I can’t stand excuse making, whining about refs, and promising to address issues “in the offseason” when everybody in the world could tell what the issues were throughout the season.

MM is in over his head and does not have solutions for what is troubling this franchise— and while we would all love to see the FO get the axe— it ain’t happening. So the next best thing is to have a coaching staff that maximizes every advantage the roster possesses. And this staff showed consistently they are unable to do that.

Fire MM and move on. Retaining him and maintaining status quo is simply wasting a year and we will be right back here in Jan 2023 looking to hire the next HC.

X550i

Reaction score
I'm not fan or detractor of MM. He has his flaws.
However the whole HC position in Dallas has become a clown show. No one of pedigree, substance, or gravitas would ever want to come to Dallas.

JJ should just do what he's dreamed his entire life. Stand on the sidelines, put on a headset and fulfill his dream.
Be the cartel kingpin - Owner, GM, Coach, mascot, cheerleader.......
Stand there, bark orders to the assistant coaches, walk up and down the sidelines, have people squirt gatorade into his mouth, and be the damn coach as well.
That's what he does indirectly anyway, might as well let him fulfill his dream before he dies.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If thats the case MM is crazy for not going to the media now with that...if he did Jones would have no recourse but to give him control next year and he would fail or succeed but it would be his way.

This is why i Dont believe the "Jerry takes control" I believe these coaches take the job knowing full well thats whats going to happen. Other wise they would be like Jimmy and Bill and use the media to make Jerry back off.
I think JJ brought him to his house and told him how it was. I have my OC in place. You hire everyone else but Moore is OC and calls plays. That alone is not allowing him control. This lack of game plans and play calls in the second half of the year and MM doing nothing is alarming. But him not doing something about his O-Line coach is also alarming. He let his buddy slip and slide and not get it cleaned up. When before this have you see this O-Line have that many penalties..

cowboyec

Reaction score
The players deserve some blame. But penalties and nerves (MM’s own analysis of what contributed to the L) are BOTH a direct reflection of preparation and focus— and coaching is directly responsible for BOTH of those areas in regards to team management.

MM wouldn’t be fired because he is a lousy football coach. He would be fired for not having his team prepared, focused, and motivated to play in the most important game of the year.

And if he doesn’t have them ready when the roster is stacked with talent (JJ believes this to be the truth, so our opinion as fans is irrelevant)— what makes JJ or anyone believe MM can have them ready to play when the roster is softer and less talented?

MM has created more pressure on himself by his postgame comments and blame shifting. I hope he gets fired for that alone. I can’t stand excuse making, whining about refs, and promising to address issues “in the offseason” when everybody in the world could tell what the issues were throughout the season.

MM is in over his head and does not have solutions for what is troubling this franchise— and while we would all love to see the FO get the axe— it ain’t happening. So the next best thing is to have a coaching staff that maximizes every advantage the roster possesses. And this staff showed consistently they are unable to do that.

Fire MM and move on. Retaining him and maintaining status quo is simply wasting a year and we will be right back here in Jan 2023 looking to hire the next HC.
the lack of execution in big games continues to not exist regardless of if the hc is parcells,phillips,garrett or mccarthy.
in my opinion...this is on the players.
i dont think preperation was the issue last week...it was execution.
regardless...mccarthy will get the length of his deal and we'll get somebody else in the role of head scapegoat.

Brax

Reaction score
McCarthy says he knows how to win a Championship. What he didn’t say is the answer plays QB for Green Bay.
Funny all those years with Farve and Rodgers 1 SB. I think MM knows how to not win championships.

Big D

Reaction score
I disagree with deferring not being the smart thing. If played right you can have the last possession of 1st half and the 1st possession of 2nd half giving you two consecutive scoring opportunities. If you believe in your defense you take that chance knowing whats in store. Even though we failed initially when defense allowed the 49ers to score on the first drive we were in position to score on last possession of the half. If we get even a fg on that drive before the half things change.

The problem is nobody seemed to notice or care much and it continued with the first drive of 2nd half. To me it's a basic football strategy but I really doubt that it was in the minds of anyone on the team. That is our teams biggest issue ahead of any personnel shortcomings.

Carson

Reaction score
Funny all those years with Farve and Rodgers 1 SB. I think MM knows how to not win championships.
It’s tough. That’s why only 13 have ever won more than one super bowl

Sheepherder

Reaction score
DQ might be the best if you want someone with Skins on the wall. Zimmer I like, obviously if he brings a solid modern OC.
Harbaugh and leave him alone. Let him bring in his own staff. But since Jerry is most likely staying with McCarthy, allow him to decide on his own staff. That would be the right thing to do. Odds are, that won't happen either.

Last edited:

Brax

Reaction score
It’s tough. That’s why only 13 have ever won more than one super bowl
Agree on winning but getting there, win or lose, even the Bills got there 4 times and the chiefs twice so far, Cowboys come to mind also. Coaching is important especially in the playoffs and that is something MM doesn't seem to excel at.

75boyz

Reaction score

Yes.
I am not normally a betting guy but I'd be willing to wager a pretty substantial amount that what you say here happens.

Every single word of this is the truth.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I think JJ brought him to his house and told him how it was. I have my OC in place. You hire everyone else but Moore is OC and calls plays. That alone is not allowing him control. This lack of game plans and play calls in the second half of the year and MM doing nothing is alarming. But him not doing something about his O-Line coach is also alarming. He let his buddy slip and slide and not get it cleaned up. When before this have you see this O-Line have that many penalties..

To be honest I have seen it for the last 10 years..but then you throw C Will in there and that makes it crazy...Pre snap penalties have plauged this team for a while...Again how many years now do we end the season basically saying "We will work on executuion this offseason"....Why does it never seem to get fixed...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Where did McCarthy say the Cowboys will make a big mistake if they fire him? :huh:

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
the lack of execution in big games continues to not exist regardless of if the hc is parcells,phillips,garrett or mccarthy.
in my opinion...this is on the players.
i dont think preperation was the issue last week...it was execution.
regardless...mccarthy will get the length of his deal and we'll get somebody else in the role of head scapegoat.

I agree. Execution has been an issue under Garrett and Moore, and now McCarthy and Moore.

The defense has sucked due to a lack of talent. A better DC and a nice draft and FA haul yielded better results. With JJ as the GM.

The offense is another matter. Dak has sucked in big games for his career. A 1-3 playoff record and numerous examples of him disappearing for whole stretches in big games abound. Moore has developed a habit of slow starts, not making adjustments, and not getting the ball to his playmakers. All with JJ as GM. Most analysts look at the offensive roster and conclude the talent is there— the production is not.

Therefore— while JJ is a problem— good coaching got more out of the talent on D. Mediocre coaching got less production in big games with “more talent”. Ergo… coaching makes a difference. A sizeable one.

JJ is not a good GM. One error he has made is overestimating how good his offensive coaches are— whether that is Garrett, or Moore. He also overestimates the talent of quality of his QB, RB, and OL.

If he is unwilling to cut key players— then his only option is to address coaching. And while you may want the players to be held accountable— Dak and Zeke aren’t seeing the bench anytime soon. So— upgrade the OC and HC and bring in an innovative system that protects Dak with a more effective ground game.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Harbaugh and leave him alone. Let him bring in his own staff. But since Jerry is most likely staying with McCarthy, allow him to decide on his own staff. That would be the right thing to do. Odds are, that won't happen either.
I'd be curious how McCarthy would do without Kellen Moore as far as calling the plays or the overall offense. I find it strange to have walk around CEO head coaches. Even Belichek has a HUGE say in that defense even though he is not calling the plays anymore. Harbaugh however is a builder and I think he would get the right guys in. I still wonder if Kellen Moore was not retained would the offense be different. As in less 40 and 50 point games but more points scored against better opponents (KC, SF etc)

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The thread title matches the title posted with the video on YouTube by the show. That said, I am curious whether they played McCarthy stating that prior to the posted segment. It would explain why the video title and actual transcript does not match.

I had hoped someone else had watched and verified whether the quote was in the video before I watched it earlier. Those eleven minutes are gone forever. I do not like sports talking head shows :( although I would be lying if I said I did not appreciate the 13 on-screen seconds of Alex Curry at the beginning of the segment. :)
For the record. I wasn't calling anyone out.

I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to say "not cool Fonzie".

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
According to Shannon Sharpe, McCarthy is just another Jerry Jones puppet. If that’s the case changing head coaches is never going to fix anything. Every coach will be viewed as a spectator on the sidelines. No matter who Jerry hires as head coach nothing ever changes. We see the same problems and the HC gets criticized for the same things the previous HC got criticized for. Different head coach same results.