1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Mike McCarthy's Analytics Fraud

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Toruk_Makto, Jan 11, 2020.

1. atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy Zone Supporter

9,413 Messages
    12,749 Likes Received
    Thats a strong accusation calling him a liar and a con man. Got any proof?

Jake likes this.
  2. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

17,674 Messages
    12,884 Likes Received
    This thread began with disdain for the McCarthy hire. Now the limens are jumping off the cliff altogether. Hell, they may never enjoy another Cowboy’s game. Ha!

3. atlantacowboy

9,413 Messages
    12,749 Likes Received
    I think we have a few fans who got their panties in a wad b/c their pet cat wasn't hired.

4. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

17,674 Messages
    12,884 Likes Received
    I guess the OP is 0-2 when it comes to pet cats. He doesn't care much for Zeke. And now it’s obvious how he feels about McCarthy.

Luther, Zman5, brooksey1 and 2 others like this.
  5. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye.

21,737 Messages
    12,955 Likes Received
    Generally, a guy has to start losing big repeatedly before fans start going after his character.

Fletch likes this.
  6. atlantacowboy

9,413 Messages
    12,749 Likes Received
    And its all based on a tweet from some guy who either misunderstood or clearly doesn't know what play action means.

Fletch likes this.
  7. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

17,674 Messages
    12,884 Likes Received
    :muttley:

8. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

17,674 Messages
    12,884 Likes Received
    We have some very special fans. :laugh:

9. Soth

Soth Well-Known Member

552 Messages
    363 Likes Received
    This is what it said about the Steelers:

"On the other end of the spectrum we have four quarterbacks who actually posted a higher passer rating on non-play-action passes. This seemed weird to me, but perhaps the connection is all four passers’ teams also ranked bottom-10 in team rushing attempts over our sample."

If rushing attempts don't matter then why do they offer this as an explanation for the low PA passer rating? Do these writers understand their own analytics? By your standards, the writers of this article are frauds.

Also, you failed to respond to any of my other points. They claim a .14 correlation between PA attempts and passer rating, but their whole point is that PA is great for passer ratings. Maybe it is a typo in the article, but in this case then how can we rely on it at all?? You seem to give this article all the benefit of the doubt but you are quick to call MM a fraud based on a casual comment he made?

Luther and CowboyStar88 like this.
  10. CB61

CB61 Zone Supporter

9,229 Messages
    5,424 Likes Received
    Thank you hadn't seen it yet

11. garyo1954

garyo1954 Well-Known Member

1,917 Messages
    2,093 Likes Received
    I don't think people understand what he meant when he said he watched every play. In December Peter King of NBC sports visited him at the barn. At that time he said, "every offensive snap of the top 10 offenses last year," to dissecting formations and play calls, to reviewing quarterback footage.

You don't have to watch every play to watch every offensive snap of the top 10 offenses. Since you're only interested in formations, play calls and the QB, punts, kick are out. And anytime you're on defense is out.

But there is something nobody has picked up on. He wasn't analyzing defenses. He was interested in what the offenses were doing.

12. TheDude

TheDude McLovin

9,212 Messages
    7,427 Likes Received
    That investment analytics is usually not customer facing

13. SackMaster

SackMaster Well-Known Member

542 Messages
    1,096 Likes Received
    The guy hasn't even finished hiring his staff and we are SCREWED already!!!!!!
    :lmao2:

He didn't even get a chance to screw up the draft, off season workouts or actual GAMES and we might as well forfeit the season according to some.
    :facepalm:

This is going to be a fun year.
    :popcorn:

darthseinfeld and Eightneight like this.
  14. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

19,452 Messages
    36,314 Likes Received
    I can't wait to see you prove that accusation. :muttley:

Funny thing is, I'm not excited about the McCarthy hiring. Some here are, I think because anyone not named "Jason Garrett" sounds good to them at this point (for reasons I understand), but claiming to know what happened in the interview (and whether it's true) is just a baseless accusation. You couldn't possibly know.

15. Eightneight

Eightneight Well-Known Member

512 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    So the guy fizzled out after 13 seasons. His final 2 years of service to the GB packers shouldn't sum up his entire career. Most coaches loose their message after a long run with a team. The fact he lasted 13 seasons is a positive in my book. Analytics and engineering mindsets aside, the guy wins alot of football games and consistently took his team deep into the playoffs. I'll take that any day

16. darthseinfeld

darthseinfeld Drunk on Dalton Juice Zone Supporter

20,005 Messages
    20,725 Likes Received
    You know how this fan base is Sack

FuzzyLumpkins likes this.
  17. TWOK11

TWOK11 Well-Known Member

2,257 Messages
    6,192 Likes Received
    Some of you simply refuse to let yourselves be happy

atlantacowboy likes this.
  18. Playmaker3128

Playmaker3128 Well-Known Member

1,587 Messages
    1,964 Likes Received
    Anyone ever think that maybe McCarthy didn’t run the ball as much because he didn’t have a great rb. Name me a great rb that they ha during those days.

And yes he had Aaron Jones as a rookie.... and last year but he wasn’t what he was today.

brooksey1 likes this.
  19. Runwildboys

Runwildboys Well-Known Member

24,788 Messages
    47,389 Likes Received
    Hey, that's what my mom says!

Fletch likes this.
  20. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

31,552 Messages
    21,881 Likes Received
    You said it was the same for everyone. You were wrong. How about you own that as opposed to these strawmen you keep trying to ram down my throat?

It was also not simply "rushing efficiency" or "attempts" it was those attributes within a game. That was different than for a season or for the games leading up to the game in question. It was just one possible bias of one average and you act like you can make it into scientific law.

The one other permutation of the data showed how it was not universal yet here you are waving your hands and spouting idioms.

If my financial advisor came at me when an investment went different than what was advertised with a line like "it's the exception that proves the rule," and insisting we do it again then I would fire them right on the spot.

They should be explaining to me why it was different for me and how it would not happen again. Going forward with it again would be stupid just like it would be foolish for Roethlisberger or Rodgers to PA willy nilly. What you should be doing is looking into why those 15% of QBs do not experience better passing when they PA like the article you cited does.

There is evidence that defenses gameplan their run keys differently against teams that do not run the ball. It also makes intuitive sense because we understand the mechanics of why PA helps a passing attack.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Luther likes this.