1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Mike McCarthy's Analytics Fraud

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Toruk_Makto, Jan 11, 2020.

1. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

9,366 Messages
    6,595 Likes Received
    you ain't seen nothing yet, just wait til the season gets rolling

2. Soth

Soth Well-Known Member

552 Messages
    363 Likes Received
    The issue doesn't seem as simple as that. The same article states the following:

"Prescott also averaged 5.1 fantasy points per game (with a 133.3 passer rating) on play action passes when Elliott was on that field, with those numbers dropping to 1.9 fantasy points per game (and an 83.0 passer rating) during Elliott’s suspension weeks. Perhaps teams didn’t take the threat of play-action as seriously without Elliott on the field, and Prescott’s efficiency suffered as a result."

From the same article:
    "On the other end of the spectrum we have four quarterbacks who actually posted a higher passer rating on non-play-action passes. This seemed weird to me, but perhaps the connection is all four passers’ teams also ranked bottom-10 in team rushing attempts over our sample."

Full article: https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-football-metrics-that-matter-quarterbacks-on-play-action

So McCarthy is right about establishing the run, but it seems like running effectiveness is not as important as run attempts. Also, results vary significantly from team to team and from QB to QB. I am not sure we can call Big Mac a fraud just for this statement. We also can't expect him to spill all the beans on his research. Do you think Bellicheat would willingly tell the media stuff he has found using analytics??

3. Ranching

Ranching Well-Known Member

24,927 Messages
    64,738 Likes Received
    Also long winded. Someone must be bored.

4. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

31,552 Messages
    21,881 Likes Received
    PFF is using league wide stats. I too am curious if different teams, QBs, or opposing defenses change those results.

5. Ranching

24,927 Messages
    64,738 Likes Received
    Lol!!!!

6. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

16,899 Messages
    17,566 Likes Received
    I’d rather throw myself off a 3 story building breaking both of my legs than watch that loser coach this team again.

That dude wasted so much talent over the years it’s unforgivable.

7. Ranching

24,927 Messages
    64,738 Likes Received
    I hope I never have to say McCarthy Sucks!!

ShortRound131, Bullflop and Techsass like this.
  8. blueblood70

blueblood70 Well-Known Member

10,393 Messages
    7,537 Likes Received
    :popcorn::hammer:

of course not but the OP wants to go there and we should take what he says as truths because hes been coaching in the nfl for 25yrs..

oh wait...:facepalm::muttley:

9. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

4,663 Messages
    4,214 Likes Received
    Listen I saw the whole analytics pitch as complete crap and salesmen ship. A coach is what he is, expecting one to change their stripes, well don’t hold your breath. Hopefully some culture will change here, but I knew that this analytics thing was complete ear candy to the masses.

Soth likes this.
  10. CapnB

CapnB Well-Known Member

1,557 Messages
    1,929 Likes Received
    Pretty sure he said they will have someone who does all the analytics stuff while hes here. And for the life of me, even analytics dont and wont work if you dont have the players that can execute.

conner01 likes this.
  11. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Well-Known Member

199 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    As a fan, I would be outraged if the HC got on TV and discussed anything significant about his analytics, or really any other aspect of his strategy/scheme. An unbelievably stupid thing to do, if you ask me. I would simply give them platitudes and generic crap, or I might even give them outright false information, to throw my competition.

12. cowboyec

cowboyec Well-Known Member

17,948 Messages
    20,623 Likes Received
    we'll see.

13. Techsass

Techsass Well-Known Member

2,418 Messages
    3,031 Likes Received
    I was one of the meh folks at the news of his hire, but I'm not anti-Mc. We'll see what he can do next season. Once we figure out if GB's success was him or just Aaron, we'll be in a better spot to judge our new coach.

14. irishline

irishline Well-Known Member

1,642 Messages
    2,272 Likes Received
    So 102% of his passes went to his WR's, TE's, and RB's? (62+22+18=102). Where did the rest go haha? :p

15. JW82

JW82 JJ21

2,915 Messages
    5,149 Likes Received
    Give me a break. It wasn’t analytics that made
    Garrett suck. It was basic game and clock management. The ability to make halftime adjustments. I’ll take the guy that went to the playoffs 9 of his first 11 seasons and won a ring over the guy surrounded by nerds with pocket protecters. And I am in IT so I know those nerds...

MichaelWinicki and Techsass like this.
  16. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

31,552 Messages
    21,881 Likes Received
    McCarthy says he has changed and explained how he was changing with specifics. He has detailed how he wants his department set up and how he intends to use them of game day.

So what do people do?

Say he is lying because he cannot articulate something that is difficult to articulate in soundbites ie statistical analysis.

What I found really interesting was in his interview with Eatman on the mothership, McCarthy stated that procedurally, whoever was calling plays had to also be the one installing the plays in practice. That he had not done that in GB and it caused issues. He was changing that too.

17. daboyzruleperiod

daboyzruleperiod ♡☆

22,125 Messages
    53,465 Likes Received
    Here's the ONLY analytics I care about.

Head Coach Experience
    McCarthy: 12
    Pederson: 4
    Rivera: 9
    Judge: 0

18. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

35,541 Messages
    6,997 Likes Received
    Not saying there's nothing to what the OP is saying, but too many of these analytics posts feel like they're saying I'm smarter than this ignorant neanderthal football coach.

If McCarthy fails here, it won't be because he wasn't an analytics expert.

19. garyo1954

garyo1954 Well-Known Member

1,917 Messages
    2,093 Likes Received
    Yes, you read that right!
    I screwed up. Glad you caught it.

20. Playmaker247

Playmaker247 Well-Known Member

818 Messages
    1,490 Likes Received
    Exactly. Belichick has gone on record saying he doesn’t use analytics when everyone knows that’s in fact straight bs