1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys news ..

Mike McCarthy's Draft History

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by 817Gill, Jan 16, 2020.

1. 817Gill

817Gill Well-Known Member

2,567 Messages
    4,205 Likes Received
    This article is meant to break down what he liked positionally by round, but I was more interested in what quality players he picked and how deep into the draft. It's really interesting and encouraging because there are a lot of meat and potatoes, B to B+, team building guys. A few stars here and there but more importantly not many busts.

Championship teams are headlined by the A-level talent, but are built through those role playing B-level guys. The Packers where also the only team in the league with more UDFA's on their rosters throughout his tenure and tied us for most draft picks starting. Mike's had to deal with a GM in Ted Thompson who never put any money towards Free Agency. As a result he seems to have developed a keen eye for solid starter types all throughout the draft.

https://insidethestar.com/cowboys-draft-what-can-we-learn-from-mike-mccarthys-past-draft-picks/8/

2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

58,308 Messages
    103,060 Likes Received
    Considering he was never a decision maker in the draft you learn nothing from this.

3. Shake_Tiller

Shake_Tiller Well-Known Member

1,184 Messages
    1,122 Likes Received
    The fact the Packers kept so many UDFAs during McCarthy's tenure could -- just could -- reflect his lack of input in the draft. In the end, he kept players who could do what he needed done. Oddly, looking at those UDFAs might be a better way to figure out the type of players he really likes...

Afigueroa22 and Risen Star like this.
  4. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

10,830 Messages
    3,918 Likes Received
    yep

5. 817Gill

817Gill Well-Known Member

2,567 Messages
    4,205 Likes Received
    He was in the war rooms and participated in the discussions and coached to see the results of those picks. I think he’s picked up a thing or two.

6. sean10mm

sean10mm Well-Known Member

1,925 Messages
    2,879 Likes Received
    If anything, McCarthy was a victim of a GM who kind of lost his touch down the stretch. Ted Thompson had some good drafts but was also the cheapest of the cheap in free agency.

7. DRella

DRella Active Member

202 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    Maybe we get the Safety or DT that this defense sorely needs. I really like the approach he took with 2 round and later. Best player available approach it seems.

Lots of pro bowl WR taken and offensive line players.

8. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

63,473 Messages
    71,185 Likes Received
    I consider this an exercise in futility as it was Ted Thompson and not McCarthy who was making those picks.

Rogerthat12, Kaiser and NorthTexan95 like this.
  9. PAPPYDOG

PAPPYDOG "It was a catchable pass" Zone Supporter

8,535 Messages
    12,411 Likes Received
    And he still won't be....right Jerry?

10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

58,308 Messages
    103,060 Likes Received
    I mean, when a head coach talks about how excited he is to have a bigger voice in the war room IN DALLAS, I don't think you can look at his past drafts and think he had a heavy influence in it.

JustChip, WillieBeamen and stasheroo like this.
  11. basilhayden

basilhayden Well-Known Member

1,216 Messages
    574 Likes Received
    Yes. We all know complete credit goes to Jerry for Troy, Emmitt and Larry Allen also.
    He needed no help since he has such a gift.... :rolleyes:

12. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

63,473 Messages
    71,185 Likes Received
    What the hell does that have to do with anything here?
    :facepalm:

darthseinfeld likes this.
  13. Sandyf

Sandyf Well-Known Member

1,514 Messages
    750 Likes Received
    Although I do believe we go either DT or S in the first round, Willie McClay will have a strong input of taking the best available especially in the first round. As to McCarthy input, it will be there but I wouldn't be surprised that it is more apt to be on free agents.

14. CalPolyTechnique

CalPolyTechnique Well-Known Member

14,200 Messages
    20,897 Likes Received
    We’ve been getting C-level ROI the past couple of drafts.

817Gill likes this.
  15. cowboygo

cowboygo Well-Known Member

519 Messages
    571 Likes Received
    What McCarthy does have experience with is coaching a team that didn't delve into the free-agency pool heavily if at all. May not mean much.

16. Creeper

Creeper Well-Known Member

2,316 Messages
    3,139 Likes Received
    If there is a top tier DT available at #17 and the Cowboys do not take him, or a top safety, then nothing has changed. I don't care who is making the selections for Dallas. In a way its kind of good that Collins is a free agent. It forces Dallas to do something at DT. Hopefully this new coaching staff will impress on Jerry that the only way of thinking that they could get away with cheap DTs is wrong and they need to fix that position. There are two or 3 DTs who could go in the 1st round and either of the top 2 would be a good choice for Dallas.

Manster68 likes this.
  17. garyo1954

garyo1954 Well-Known Member

1,917 Messages
    2,093 Likes Received
    If they don't grab Tee Higgins at 17 nothing has changed.

See what I did there?

NorthTexan95 likes this.
  18. ultron

ultron Well-Known Member

3,010 Messages
    5,417 Likes Received
    Just about every mock I've seen has us taking Delpit (safety/LSU) or McKinney (safety/Alabama)

19. garyo1954

garyo1954 Well-Known Member

1,917 Messages
    2,093 Likes Received
    You didn't see what I did there.

The point I'm making is everybody has somebody they want and if we don't take that person where the think, then "nothing has changed."

(Actually I don't have any problems with Delpit (if he's still there), or Simmons, or McKinney, but don't expect me to cry or be butthurt if they don't get the guy I want.)

shabazz and bdk76 like this.
  20. beware_d-ware

beware_d-ware Well-Known Member

4,507 Messages
    5,531 Likes Received
    Those weren't McCarthy drafts, those were Ted Thompson drafts. McCarthy didn't have anything to do with it.

charron likes this.