Missed My Flight in Denver

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
So my flight was at 6:45am.

TSA was unusually longer than normal, it was like a time warp.

Got to my Gate at exactly 6:45am, they wouldn’t let me on the plane. I have never seen a Gate closed early and I’ve always had flights held for 10-15 min for other people, it makes no sense..

So alas, I’m sitting here till the next flight at 9:35am. Breakfast was a ham, egg, and cheese crepe..

It’s snowing here, one of the lamest and strangest Airports I’ve even been thru...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Got to my Gate at exactly 6:45am, they wouldn’t let me on the plane. I have never seen a Gate closed early and I’ve always had flights held for 10-15 min for other people, it makes no sense..

So alas, I’m sitting here till the next flight at 9:35am. Breakfast was a ham, egg, and cheese crepe..

It’s snowing here, one of the lamest and strangest Airports I’ve even been thru...

Certainly an odd looking airport.

It was the last big airport built in the US replacing Stapleton (which was smack dap close to Denver) around 1995.

The new airport is along drive from downtown Denver and out in the middle of nowhere.

I'm a bit of an airport historical nut... Stapleton airport was quite the place. It was featured in a couple movies: "The Shining" and "Die Hard 2".

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Certainly an odd looking airport.

It was the last big airport built in the US replacing Stapleton (which was smack dap close to Denver) around 1995.

The new airport is along drive from downtown Denver and out in the middle of nowhere.

I'm a bit of an airport historical nut... Stapleton airport was quite the place. It was featured in a couple movies: "The Shining" and "Die Hard 2".

Yeah not to mention all the Apocalyptic type Art they have here..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TDay eve of 93, we flew through the old Stapleton from Boise headed to Little Rock, The flight was late arriving and we had the last gate and our departing flight was out of the last gate exactly as far away as it could be. We did that "Home Alone" run through the entire airport on one of the busiest days of the year and arrived at the gate 2 minutes before departure. Then, we sat for 2.5 hours on the plane while they de-iced the plane several times.

CF, was your flight overbooked? They might have taken advantage of your "no show" to give your seat away. When I used to fly all the time, I saw them do that several times.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

Man,Brother! Reading you're post ,immediately transported my being right there next to you in my minds eye,and it sucks,,,a few years back I had a one-way flight out of Phoenix to Billings Montana,I had on about a 42 metal snap button denim bib style shirt and a Korean war issued field jacket no metal zipper but all buttons, well, this big bristle buzz cut T.S.A. agent had culled me aside for extra shakedown scrutiny, and he's just digging & grinding away in this jackets side pocket for something he thought he'd felt ( I kinda' had a faint twinge apprehension ,thinking there might be a loose .22 rd down in there,cuz' I wore it huntin' a bunch,,,anyway & finally I'd had enough of this Gestapoesque B.S. and just unbuckled & dropped my pants down to my knees,telling him " look,Man ,I've about 5 minutes to board that plane so whatever it is yer' looking for I hope you find it soon",,, he STOPPED digging in that coat pocket, called me "SIR" while instructing me to pull my pants back up,,,and cut me loose,,,and I caught my flight in time.

*straight up true storyo_O

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Yeah not to mention all the Apocalyptic type Art they have here..

Yeah isn't that a little eerie? There is also a plaque there (that I understand is a time capsule) that declares the airport was built by the "New World Airport Commission" and has a free-mason symbol stamped in it. Hmmmmm..........

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
TDay eve of 93, we flew through the old Stapleton from Boise headed to Little Rock, The flight was late arriving and we had the last gate and our departing flight was out of the last gate exactly as far away as it could be. We did that "Home Alone" run through the entire airport on one of the busiest days of the year and arrived at the gate 2 minutes before departure. Then, we sat for 2.5 hours on the plane while they de-iced the plane several times.

CF, was your flight overbooked? They might have taken advantage of your "no show" to give your seat away. When I used to fly all the time, I saw them do that several times.

Nope, they had seats available.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

Actually, when I flew to Tulsa a few weeks ago, my flight was set to depart HPN -> Atlanta at 6:30AM (first leg of the flight) and the flight pulled away from the gate at 6:15AM. I'm guessing everyone was already on the plane for it to leave that early.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I happen to be in Denver as I type.
As we were walking out saw the long lines for security and we told each other we'd have to get here nice and early to depart...

Denver is quite the foodie town. If you leave the airport Sam's #3 is close. Great breakfast foods!

Love this place, could def live here.
The airport has a train that runs into Union station downtown. 9 bucks for a day pass.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I happen to be in Denver as I type.
As we were walking out saw the long lines for security and we told each other we'd have to get here nice and early to depart...

Denver is quite the foodie town. If you leave the airport Sam's #3 is close. Great breakfast foods!

Love this place, could def live here.
The airport has a train that runs into Union station downtown. 9 bucks for a day pass.

If you like beer check out Seedstock on Colfax. I go there every October. Special Hell and Espresso Stout are their two best beers..

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

I used to live in Denver. The purpose of building that airport was to make Mayor Pena rich. That's why it's so overbuilt and weird. It worked. He got rich at the public's expense.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I'm an airline pilot. The door gets closed 10-15 minutes before departure routinely. The company's on time performance (and pilot pay) is based on when the door is closed and the parking brake is released.

We can't close up until the flight attendants get a passenger count and the ground crew gets the baggage loads. This takes a little time, and is the reason it closes early.

The company will rarely hold a plane for late passengers, unless a significant amount of them were late due to a late connection.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I used to live in Denver. The purpose of building that airport was to make Mayor Pena rich. That's why it's so overbuilt and weird. It worked. He got rich at the public's expense.

It seems there are still many people that are unhappy that Stapleton was closed.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I'm an airline pilot. The door gets closed 10-15 minutes before departure routinely. The company's on time performance (and pilot pay) is based on when the door is closed and the parking brake is released.

We can't close up until the flight attendants get a passenger count and the ground crew gets the baggage loads. This takes a little time, and is the reason it closes early.

The company will rarely hold a plane for late passengers, unless a significant amount of them were late due to a late connection.

So they knew I checked in, they knew my bags were on the plane, they knew I wasn’t on the plane, my lady asked them to wait, they just took off.

I can’t tell u how many times somebody’s wife got them to hold a plane for 10-15 min because their husband was on his way..

Whatever....