MMQB giving props to a Moore hiring

khiladi

Reaction score
To repeat:

Dallas giving reps to Dak in the Giants game, while resting Zeke to get him work in passing. They played Dak the whole game even while he lounged around scrubbing for at least a quarter and a half with good blocking up front. Dak finally connected on some basic post routes in the red-zone to Jarwin knowing all he had to do was throw there, without any real Consequences.

This idea they found something new is ridiculous absurd. It was just another game to try and polish their average QB.

This is all PR scapegoating. They even went pass heavy in the Rams game and Dak was floundering around like usual.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
The chatter with Kellen Moore around Boise, even during his playing days, is that he was always being groomed to be a coach. He had an amazing teacher in Chris Peterson. It was obvious he didn't have the body type to play in the NFL (which is too bad because he was a smart player with ice in his veins) so it was always presumed he would climb the coaching ladder......and, here we are. People balk because he isn't a flashy name

Why isnt Chris Peterson being considered for OC?

DoomsdayD22

Reaction score
Let me get this straight:

The dunces in he cowboy FO think that Moore is a great coach

The same people who thought Linehan and Garrett were great

And I'm supposed to be happy at this ?

Cmon guys
When are you gonna wake up?

I loved what Rex Ryann said, basically if we are firing Linehan for an inept offense what makes us so sure Linehan was the only problem? Maybe Moore and other offense coaches were part of the problem. Why not bring in a proven offensive coach and revamp the whole coaching staff so you know you've addressed the problem....not in Jerrys World..

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
What the Cowboy's FO is doing is logical from their POV if they are rolling with Garrett which they are. A new HC would want to pick his own OC and DC so sticking with Garrett means keeping most
of his coaches, filling in a few spots and only extending contracts to as long as you think Garrett will be extended.
Garrett will be the new play caller and have Moore and Nussmeyer to help him
game plan. Garrett will probably focus much less on the defense going forward since he has Marrinelli and Richard to handle those duties.

^this......not sure why it's hard for fans to see this. Simply put, w/o extension, Garrett is on one-year probation with limited additional support from Jerry and Stephen. If this the case, my problem is they risk waisting a year. Just fire him and move on if you've lost confidence.

Reaction score
new-understanding-the-stages-of-grief-1.png
I'm in the depression stage at this point.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
This.

What's going on is similar to the MLB trend toward young General Managers. Theo Epstein was ridiculed when he was hired and now a ton of teams baseball teams have a GM under 40.

At the end of the day its not about a young guy versus an old guy, its about picking the right guy.
And, for the record, we don't know that Moore is even the right guy. But, we also don't know that he isn't. These decisions aren't without risk.

Even if Garret was shown the door and Payton was brought in as HC there IS risk to that move (a risk most of us would be willing to take, but still risk). Garrett has built a culture and a relationship with a lot of these players. What if Payton's culture doesn't jive with the majority of players. What if they don't buy in? Well, then you start the process of jettisoning those players and finding their replacements. How long does that take? Two years? Three years.

All of this is a risk. No matter who we hire at what position.

LittleD

Reaction score
^this......not sure why it's hard for fans to see this. Simply put, w/o extension, Garrett is on one-year probation with limited additional support from Jerry and Stephen. If this the case, my problem is they risk waisting a year. Just fire him and move on if you've lost confidence.

You don't understand. Jerry is not going down without a fight to keep Garrett. Garrett is his Landry and is going to be given every chance to succeed. Jerry then can go to his next life as a genius NFL owner who stayed his course.

Kaiser

Reaction score
And, for the record, we don't know that Moore is even the right guy. But, we also don't know that he isn't. These decisions aren't without risk.

Exactly, we as fans only have a fraction of the information. My instant reaction to seeing Moore listed as a candidate was "mistake".

That was also my reaction to the Amari Cooper trade and draft selection of Zeke. My initial reaction was wrong on both of those.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I've decided I'm just going to casually watch Dallas games from now on and not let it ruin my day or mental health anymore.

Investing any sort of emotional capital into such a garbage organization is only setting yourself up for a let down.
Let's mark this post so you can remove it later.

No prob.

You are just like the rest of us.

The team is doing it's "closing ranks" thing with Moore.

Jerrah wants loyalty in the coaches.

So Moore gets a raise.

It was mentioned others down the stretch called plays as well as Garrett with some success.

Sanjay was mentioned.

What role does he play?

It seems like if Moore is OC..

maybe the silver lining will be we do OC by Committee and get different playcalling using this.

If this works..we will be the first to know.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Exactly, we as fans only have a fraction of the information. My instant reaction to seeing Moore listed as a candidate was "mistake".

That was also my reaction to the Amari Cooper trade and draft selection of Zeke. My initial reaction was wrong on both of those.
Brother I can't tell you how many times I've been wrong about decisions this team has made. From drafting Fredrick, to LVE, to Martin, the Cooper trade. The list is a mile long (just like everybody else'). It's why I laugh at posters who pretend to know what they're talking about. Especially those who post only open their mouths to pan every move made by the organization. If they were even half as smart as they think they are, they'd actually be in a position to make these calls for a team. But, no, they're just another blow hard on a football message board.

dfense

Reaction score
The only way Sean Payton or Lincoln Reilly take over the Cowboys is if Jerry is either dead or retired. I don’t see them coming here to put up with Jerry’s meddling.
Again, Jerrah is just a figure head. Jerry jr runs the team now.

kevm3

Reaction score
People are balking because you don't make a guy with one year of experience coaching an OC. Mcvey has several years of coaching experience prior to being an hc in the nfl. You DO NOT put in an experiment hire in a year we have several big contracts coming up that can affect thos team for half a decade.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is why Judges tell jurors not to talk to each other in jury trials until they begin deliberation. Its human nature for a lot of people to form an early opinion and dig into it if challenged, even as the facts shift against that opinion.

Yep. And to dig in deeper when presented with evidence that contradicts what they've chosen to believe. For example, they hate the guy as a QB coach not knowing how good or bad he is at the job in the first place. He gets promoted (hypothetically) in one year, and that becomes evidence the front office is clueless instead of evidence they were wrong in the first place.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Let me get this straight:

The dunces in he cowboy FO think that Moore is a great coach

The same people who thought Linehan and Garrett were great

And I'm supposed to be happy at this ?

Cmon guys
When are you gonna wake up?
Waking up is a process for me....every morning

Kaiser

Reaction score
He gets promoted (hypothetically) in one year, and that becomes evidence the front office is clueless instead of evidence they were wrong in the first place.

Another thing you have to consider is that we are fans following this for fun. The guys considering Moore as the front runner have their paychecks depending on moves like this and its something they have thinking about since the 3-5 start when it was obvious Linehan was going to be replaced. Since then they have been talking to candidates through back channels, getting second opinions from people around the NFL, thinking through the options, etc.

They didn't wake up one morning, realize Kingsbury was off the table and call Kellen Moore in panic. Its something they have thought about carefully for months.