MMQB: How Cowboys’ Dak Prescott Can Benefit From Waiting to Negotiate His Contract

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not really the Cowboys made a significant shift in how they approached FA in general after 2013. They have demonstrated a willingness to change approach in everything from marketing to scouting to practice over the years.
What examples are there of this? Demarco and Hitchens?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't think the risk is terrible though. Him waiting out benefits him more than the Cowboys. For instance let's say he gets hurt this season........How much lower would he go in salary? He'd still sign a 28-30 million dollar deal. But on the opposite end of the coin.......what happens if he has a MVP-caliber season stats wise? He will make even more money.

If the Cowboys believe in Dak they should be getting in front of a deal for him like Eagles did for Wentz.

Why? Why would that be an even remotely good decision? If the Cowboys based a franchise effecting decision on "I Believe", rather then relevant data, that would be the worst possible criteria for making a decision. Hey, if he breaks all the records, then that's the proof the team is looking for and I believe they would pay him. The problem here is not that the team is cheap or that they are trying to screw Dak. Name me one starting QB, ever, that Jerry screwed over....................

That is not how Jerry works and every Cowboy Fan should know this. If you prove you are the guy, you are the Franchise, you are the face of the team, then if anything, Jerry actually gives too much power to the QB. See Troy, see Tony etc. I mean, how long did Jerry put up with Qiuncy, for christ sakes. No, this is wrong. If Dak had already reached the point where the team had no questions about him, the price would not be the issue now. He hasn't done that and that's the problem. Neither Jerry, nor the team, can afford to get this wrong, which why it's smarter not to give him a deal until he has shown he is that guy, even if you have to pay him a little more.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Why? Why would that be an even remotely good decision? If the Cowboys based a franchise effecting decision on "I Believe", rather then relevant data, that would be the worst possible criteria for making a decision. Hey, if he breaks all the records, then that's the proof the team is looking for and I believe they would pay him. The problem here is not that the team is cheap or that they are trying to screw Dak. Name me one starting QB, ever, that Jerry screwed over....................

That is not how Jerry works and every Cowboy Fan should know this. If you prove you are the guy, you are the Franchise, you are the face of the team, then if anything, Jerry actually gives too much power to the QB. See Troy, see Tony etc. I mean, how long did Jerry put up with Qiuncy, for christ sakes. No, this is wrong. If Dak had already reached the point where the team had no questions about him, the price would not be the issue now. He hasn't done that and that's the problem. Neither Jerry, nor the team, can afford to get this wrong, which why it's smarter not to give him a deal until he has shown he is that guy, even if you have to pay him a little more.

We don't know WHAT the price is though. We don't know how much was guaranteed and we don't know what the salary's. People are getting to stuck on this whole "35 per..." number that keeps getting thrown around. Guaranteed money is what matters here and we do not know how much guaranteed money is being offered.

And I disagree. Dak has shown you what he is. Granted, you don't know what his ceiling is but you know what his floor is and for what his floor is? You're going to have to pay. That's just what it is.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That and not paying for the Brandon Carr's of the world on long term deals. Instead it is short, modest deals like they did with Cobb.
They didn't pay for the Brandon Carr's of the world because they didn't have the money to do it lol. They just tried to break the bank for Sammy Watkins just a year ago. That deal would've KILLED this team. Cowboys are just being frugal and cheap on certain guys like Allen Hurns and Randall Cobb. Make no mistake if a guy is young like a Sammy Watkins they would've threw their money at him. Chiefs saved the Cowboys from themselves with that one.

JBS

Reaction score
Anyone with half a brain could put this together...If I was Dak I wouldn't even entertain signing a new contract right now..he is going to lose tens of millions - even if he gets the MAXIMUM right now, which he clearly isn't going to get. If he was smart, he would wait..no doubt about that

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
We don't know WHAT the price is though. We don't know how much was guaranteed and we don't know what the salary's. People are getting to stuck on this whole "35 per..." number that keeps getting thrown around. Guaranteed money is what matters here and we do not know how much guaranteed money is being offered.

And I disagree. Dak has shown you what he is. Granted, you don't know what his ceiling is but you know what his floor is and for what his floor is? You're going to have to pay. That's just what it is.

That's true, we don't but I know this, whatever the price, it's not going to be light years from what he's asking in a year or so. I'd rather over pay and know I'm paying for quality, rather then pay a premium for a player that might destroy my cap for a period of 5 years and virtually kill any window for this team, that has Championship talent. See, this is what a lot of people don't get with me. I'm not against paying Dak. I'm against paying him for no other good reason then the idiocracy of "Pay The Man!" Yes, pay Dak if he can prove to be the man but don't just go out and give him money because it's his turn to get paid. That I don't believe in that, at all. That's dumb and it wrecks teams. If he proves it, yes, pay him. Make him a Cowboy for life. Make him the next great QB in our history. Do all the things a player of that stature deserves, as a Cowboy. Do that but not until he proves that this is what he really is and he hasn't done that yet.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Why would they have to cave? Both guys are under contract and holding out would do a lot more harm than good. I don't think Zeke will hold out either once the season starts, I think deals get done with at least two of the three but Dallas has no reason to blink at this point.
I don't mean this season. It appears both Dak and Amari are content to play the season out (unless Jerry gives them an offer they can't refuse) and hit the market next year. Can't tag both.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm curious if Dak has been given this advice by his agent. Waiting is a risk but the advantages of negotiating on a tag rather than a rookie contract can not be denied.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
The Cowboys are now negotiating contracts with their three offensive stars—Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott and Amari Cooper—and are playing the “we only have so much cap room” card. Left unsaid by the team is how they have preyed on the rookie compensation system with all three players, being on the plus side of inequitable contracts for multiple years. Now they are playing the cap card while conveniently not mentioning the team-friendly nature of the past.

Wow, the innuendo is so thick I am choking.

The reality is that Jerry spends all of the money that he is allowed to on players. You may disagree with which players get that money but let's not think that Jerry is taking the money he saved on Dak and using it to finance a trip to Cabo.

visionary

Reaction score
This nonsense has to stop.

He made about 3 million in endorsements last year. By comparison Matt Ryan made 5 mill.

Dude is out there slinging Campbell's soup and everyone is thinking "he's so lucky to be a Cowboy!"

You are correct, the nonsense you posted above had to stop

1. Everyone around the league (and everyone with football sense) knows Ryan is a much better qb than Dak

2. Ryan has been in the league a lot longer so is going to have more endorsements

3. Ryan has had far more post season success than Dak so will get more endorsements

But please carry on with your faux outrage

AbeBeta

Reaction score
You are correct, the nonsense you posted above had to stop

1. Everyone around the league (and everyone with football sense) knows Ryan is a much better qb than Dak

2. Ryan has been in the league a lot longer so is going to have more endorsements

3. Ryan has had far more post season success than Dak so will get more endorsements

But please carry on with your faux outrage

Please actually read what i was responding to.

The post was about how Dak gets tons of endorsements from being on "America's Team" so he should be happy with a smaller contract.

He clearly does not get a huge advantage as 2-3 mill a year is not at all unusual for a QB.

The entire argument was that Dak should take less because he can make a ton in endorsements. So he should take less because he's gonna make maybe 2-3 mill in endorsements a year? Gee, I'd totally take a 30 mill a year deal there instead of 35 mill a year. Those endorsements ... totally worth it*.

*Unless you understand math

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Huh? Nobody is turning down 2 million. If Dak signs for 100 million he will still be paid 2 million next season. He’s getting 2 million regardless.

The only explanation for Dak not grabbing all the dollars he can now is he working towards some kind of validation. Contracts in the NFL are about the good as the stuff you wipe your butt with (as far as team's having to honor them), if you look at them close enough not even the guaranteed money is guaranteed.

visionary

Reaction score
Please actually read what i was responding to.

The post was about how Dak gets tons of endorsements from being on "America's Team" so he should be happy with a smaller contract.

He clearly does not get a huge advantage as 2-3 mill a year is not at all unusual for a QB.

The entire argument was that Dak should take less because he can make a ton in endorsements. So he should take less because he's gonna make maybe 2-3 mill in endorsements a year? Gee, I'd totally take a 30 mill a year deal there instead of 35 mill a year. Those endorsements ... totally worth it*.

*Unless you understand math

Like I said, faux outrage

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Like I said, faux outrage

You consistently fail to actually address arguments. All you do make dumb yet highly confident claims and hope people just accept what you said regardless of fact. Ya really gotta wonder about people who are so confident in their own nonsense.

plymkr

Reaction score
Agree but the article didn’t say that. It only mentioned that the cowboys had obtained a lot of value from Prescott and that should factor in the negotiations
Do you mean kind of a back pay type situation?

Gaede

Reaction score
Prescott has also ‘received a lot of value’ by starting for America’s Team in the form of endorsements. He wouldn’t have gave of those if he were starting for most other teams

So he should be thankful?

Last I checked he earned his role, and the endorsements that came with it are a direct result of his personal success, which wasnt given to him but obtained

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The only explanation for Dak not grabbing all the dollars he can now is he working towards some kind of validation. Contracts in the NFL are about the good as the stuff you wipe your butt with (as far as team's having to honor them), if you look at them close enough not even the guaranteed money is guaranteed.
Understood. But Dak's getting 2 million regardless if he signs or not. Next season he will be paid 2 million.