MMQB's Al Breer thinks it's Marinelli on thin ice

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Truth be told, Linehan scheme is Jason Garrett's scheme. Remember he was hand pick by Garrett. Unless you changing schemes, ( which I doubt ) who you gonna replace him with...........Norv Turner?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Ask yourself at this point what side of the ball is the problem ?
Which side is developing players
What is it 70% of the salary cap is spent on the offense and the offensive coaching staff can’t put together a game plan to block a beat up Seattle defense, while our young and developing defense with 30% of the salary cap can hold Seattle’s offense to less than 150 total yards. This team has some player issues, BUT the biggest problem with this team is Garrett( basic/simple game plans and schemes, lack of good in game adjustments and bad clock management at the worst times) This team will not sniff a Super Bowl until Red is gone.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
What is it 70% of the salary cap is spent on the offense and the offensive coaching staff can’t put together a game plan to block a beat up Seattle defense, while our young and developing defense with 30% of the salary cap can hold Seattle’s offense to less than 150 total yards. This team has some player issues, BUT the biggest problem with this team is Garrett( basic/simple game plans and schemes, lack of good in game adjustments and bad clock management at the worst times) This team will not sniff a Super Bowl until Red is gone.

Said it better than I could.

Rod is part of the problem, sure.

But most resources have been allocated to the offense which is performing just as poorly.

It wasn't Rod whose game plan in Atlanta was "Hey Chaz Green; go be Tyron Smith".

And, "Chaz, I know you've been getting beasted all day, but block this dude one-on-one at this pivotal moment in the game"

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

While this is true.......it's only one game. Pretty sure evaluation will cover entire season........

dfense

Reaction score
That would be too bad. Marinelli had to revamp an entire secondary and is still getting subpar safety play. The pass rush is coming on and they may have just had their best game of the season defensively as a unit.

On the other hand, some decent QB play and an adequate third down RB would have helped the offense a ton. A fresh offensive philosophy may help more than defensive change.

Reactions: CWR

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
We've actually improved defensively from last season, despite the roster turnover. We were 20th in ANY/A last year (6.4) and are 17th (6.1) this season. The main reason for the change in record is the drop in ANY/A on offense. We were 3rd last year (7.6) and are 16th (5.7) this season.
Who’s offense is it? Linehan’s and Garrett’s. We were consistently dominated in the 3rd quarter because these two do not adjust on the fly very well. Garrett is the main problem with this team, but Linehan also watched while Dak got killed by Atlanta’s mediocre right DE the whole game. I would jump for joy if they both were canned.

Reactions: BAT

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Said it better than I could.

Rod is part of the problem, sure.

But most resources have been allocated to the offense which is performing just as poorly.

It wasn't Rod whose game plan in Atlanta was "Hey Chaz Green; go be Tyron Smith".

True but coz the offensive scheme belongs to head coach, it's possible he's 100% confidence he can fix it. Not so much for the D.

Reaction score
With less too.

But I think he's done. Like Garrett, his in-game adjustments seem to be lacking. Also, he's either signing off on these guys or he's letting it happen so he needs to take some accountability with the lack of talent on defense.
When you combine the lack of in game adjustments and the non-existence of turnovers, it makes sense that Marinelli gets the boot.

But Linehan needs to go as well. Garrett should be shown the door, but that clearly is not an option.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
You know when this team’s playoff chances were effectively dashed? When they lost back to back home games against the Packers and Rams; games in which the offense dominated, scoring over 30 points and gaining over 400 yards; games in which the team had a two score lead; games in which the Cowboys had over a 90 percent chance of winning; games in which the defense could’ve forced a punt or two more in the second half.

So don’t give me crap about Rod getting the short end of some proverbial stick. How about you not play 10 yards off every down, hoping the quarterback makes a mistake? How about you learn to design and implement blitz packages? I mean, Jim Johnson has to have an old book of notes floating around somewhere.

bark

Reaction score
One side of the ball improved as the season progressed. The other side regressed.
Only in Dallas does the regression keep the job

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
One thing for sure, more options if Martinelli is fired.

I am not a big fan of what Marinelli has done with the drafting and talent of the defense. We passed on too many good defensive talent in the draft because "they didnt fit the scheme".

Get the best football players you can and adjust to the talent you have. This team needs to become more of a defensive minded football team. Running the ball, defense, drive the bus with efficiency QB play.

Reactions: CWR

jday

Reaction score
If Marinelli and Linehan get fired while Garrett stays, prepare for another decade of mediocrity. I highly doubt any other decent coordinator will want to come here.
As a football fan, period, you should already be prepared for mediocrity; nature of the beast.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
One thing we need to keep in mine, Jerry, Stephen, and Jason will evaluate personnel for the entire season....... not the last few games, many of us have focused on.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/28/nfl-coaches-black-monday-firings-hirings

3. Cowboys set to make changes, too. Jerry Jones has publicly proclaimed that Jason Garrett’s job is safe for 2018. He stopped short of giving the same assurance for Garrett’s assistants, and the list of those who won’t be examined closely next week is very short. I’m told plenty of assistant coaches have expiring contracts, which makes this an easy time for Dallas to overhaul the staff, if it so desires.

Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli is the coach who appears to be on the thinnest ice, in part thanks to an inability to adjust on a game-to-game basis, something that showed up against an Eagles team that is very familiar to Dallas, and in how the Chargers and Packers easily roasted the Cowboys’ man-to-man looks earlier in the year. The Cowboys turned over a lot of personnel on that side of the ball, of course, and that’s part of where the problems were, but there’s also a feeling not enough was done to prop up rookies like Jourdan Lewis and Chidobe Awuzie, who were quickly thrown in the fire.

As for the offense, if the changes aren’t as big on the sideline, I’d expect there will be some significant ones coming on the field. Dez Bryant clearly has lost a step, and his ability to extend his prime will come down to whether or not he can adjust his game the way Larry Fitzgerald did a few years ago—becoming better at the little things, and dedicating himself through training and nutrition. Even if he does that, it’s clear Dallas needs to get more explosive, with Bryant not the downfield threat he once was. I’d expect an effort to fix that, and maybe add some depth to an offensive line that clearly missed Ron Leary and Doug Free.

There’s plenty of work to do for the Jones family. The good news? The guys they’ve had in place, and that includes Garrett and personnel czar Will McClay, have done a pretty good job reworking the team as they’ve gone the past few years.
I think Breer is off in this case.