MMQB's Al Breer thinks it's Marinelli on thin ice

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
You know when this team’s playoff chances were effectively dashed? When they lost back to back home games against the Packers and Rams; games in which the offense dominated, scoring over 30 points and gaining over 400 yards; games in which the team had a two score lead; games in which the Cowboys had over a 90 percent chance of winning; games in which the defense could’ve forced a punt or two more in the second half.

So don’t give me crap about Rod getting the short end of some proverbial stick. How about you not play 10 yards off every down, hoping the quarterback makes a mistake? How about you learn to design and implement blitz packages? I mean, Jim Johnson has to have an old book of notes floating around somewhere.
I agree pretty much when this teams season went down the tubes

plymkr

Reaction score
I don't know how someone could say only the defense doesn't make adjustments from game to game with a straight face. Garrett hasn't adjusted anything. Dez has lost a step, ok then use him differently. Tyron is out so get Cooper or whoever that scrub was some help in the Atlanta game. I could go on and on. Yes the defense had adjustment issues. I'm not denying that but the offense hasn't adjusted to anything in 8 seasons. Ridiculous.

pitt33

Reaction score
Marinelli is the only teacher/coach we have for crying out loud! While I would be fine with a change, I will be mad if this offense stays the course! That's what's broken. At least Marinelli has done something in the league. His Bear defense got to the SB along with the TB defense. Linny and JG have done squat!
While true on Marinelli the teacher, Marinelli the coach has had some monumental collapses under his watch. How many times did this team blow a late game lead?

Heck, we were lucky the season didn’t end against the Raiders on that last drive.

Aven8

Reaction score
While true on Marinelli the teacher, Marinelli the coach has had some monumental collapses under his watch. How many times did this team blow a late game lead?

Heck, we were lucky the season didn’t end against the Raiders on that last drive.

How can you blame him when he has the 32nd ranked payroll defense in the NFL, and a secondary full of youngsters, let alone suspensions to start the season?

mahoneybill

Reaction score

Good point. Long drive and big save by heath at the end

pitt33

Reaction score
How can you blame him when he has the 32nd ranked payroll defense in the NFL, and a secondary full of youngsters, let alone suspensions to start the season?
The thing that irks me with him is his zone defense. And his defenses hardly ever create turnovers...we are always near the bottom statistically.

I get his hands are somewhat tied as we have always been more about “flash”, and offense, but I would like to see another DC in here. I’ll be surprised if he makes the cut this offseason.

Aven8

Reaction score
The thing that irks me with him is his zone defense. And his defenses hardly ever create turnovers...we are always near the bottom statistically.

I get his hands are somewhat tied as we have always been more about “flash”, and offense, but I would like to see another DC in here. I’ll be surprised if he makes the cut this offseason.

His defenses never had an issue with TO's in Chicago when they led the league in TO's. I'm fine with letting him go, but if we keep this crappy offense around and lose him that will be a bunch of crap! The offense is the issue this year, not the defense.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's still hilarious that the two Jones nitwits survey the Cowboys landscape of the last 5-7 years and their conclusion would be.............. fire the DC. That is the solution to their woes.

LOL. Geezus we are screwed.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I think he adjusts FAR better than Garrett and Linehan does. Part of the problem is that he usually has to wait for a poor first half performance to adjust. If we play well in the first half the opponent may adjust and Rod won't.

But Garrett and Linehan make roughly no adjustments. The only adjustments I can recall in the past couple of years was this year when we switched to 21 personnel.

My problem with Rod is that his scheme stinks. Too much Cover 2 which gets eaten alive by underneath routes, back shoulder fades and fast TE's and Y-receivers. Puts the safeties and corners in bad positions and that's why we don't force turnovers. We don't bracket receivers and we rarely blitz. The 1-tech position has been a disaster. At this point I'm even willing to get a quality space eater at the 1-tech just to slow down the opposing run game and keep a pass rushing 1-tech fresh for passing downs.

But even still, Rod is a better D-Coordinator than either Garrett or Linehan is an O-Coordinator.

YR
You really should post more bro. Your thoughts are always spot on.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
They probably think they have a replacement in house in Eberflus.
His contract is running out, so I don't know about that.

Maybe Lovie gets canned in Illinois and Old Man Kiffin puts in a good word for him when Marinelli decides to "retire".

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
His contract is running out, so I don't know about that.

Maybe Lovie gets canned in Illinois and Old Man Kiffin puts in a good word for him when Marinelli decides to "retire".
Yes, have Lovie the super bowl coach be a coordinator for Garrett. That priveledge is something else

pitt33

Reaction score
His defenses never had an issue with TO's in Chicago when they led the league in TO's. I'm fine with letting him go, but if we keep this crappy offense around and lose him that will be a bunch of crap! The offense is the issue this year, not the defense.
I feel you on that.

The offense was brutal. I find it hard to believe that all the receivers had “lost it” in nine months. Bob Sturm just wrote in his The Morning After blog that it was clear the coaches don’t trust Dak. He made it sound like a lot of the teams offensive woes can be laid at his feet (along with Dez).

I just think with all things being equal Rod will take the fall.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Lol don’t play dumb. Lovie better have more pride than to become a Garrett flunkie
If Illinois cans him, he might take it just to get back in the NFL.

It probably will not happen though. He seems like he will get another year. He is firing his OC and what not.