Mock with major trade

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Trading 2020 1st rd pick to Miami for their second rd pick. Pick 48. This agreement is finalized the night before the draft.

The thought process for Miami. They are in tank mode for QB in 2020. The more capital they can get, the more ammo they have to get their guy.

The thought process for Dallas. Getting decent value for the trade. Pick up a mid round 2nd for a future 1st. And there are several players they want that they believe might be there in the early 2nd.

Dallas then packages their newly acquired pick 48 with pick 90 to move up to pick 34. 560 points to 560

Pick 48 - Jeffrey Simmons - 3 Tech
pick 58 - Juan Thornhill - S

Dallas then trades pick 128 and 136 for pick 106 82 points to 82 points.

Pick 106 - Dylan Mack - 1 Tech
Pick 165 - Tony Pollard - RB

Pick 241 - Dre Greenlaw - LB

Not having a 1st rd pick in 2020 would be tough but Jeffrey Simmons is the 3 tech we need. Dylan Mack next to him on the DL would be sick.

This would shore up the 3 biggest needs in my opinion. The DT's and Safety. Plus get our backup RB and the LB the team is searching for.

Drafting Jeffrey Simmons also helps with the cap as they can move on from Crawford or Collins in 2020. Whichever one is asking for more.

Last edited:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Simmons might get drafted at the end of the first round. He is a top 15 talent and could be ready to play by the end of the season. I see you are thinking.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Trading 2020 1st rd pick to Miami for their second rd pick. Pick 48. This agreement is finalized the night before the draft.

The thought process for Miami. They are in tank mode for QB in 2020. The more capital they can get, the more ammo they have to get their guy.

The thought process for Dallas. Getting decent value for the trade. Pick up a mid round 2nd for a future 1st. And there are several players they want that they believe might be there in the early 2nd.

Dallas then packages their newly acquired pick 48 with pick 90 to move up to pick 34. 560 points to 560

Pick 48 - Jeffrey Simmons - 3 Tech
pick 58 - Juan Thornhill - S

Dallas then trades pick 128 and 136 for pick 106 82 points to 82 points.

Pick 106 - Dylan Mack - 1 Tech
Pick 165 - Tony Pollard - RB

Pick 241 - Dre Greenlaw - LB

Not having a 1st rd pick in 2020 would be tough but Jeffrey Simmons is the 3 tech we need. Dylan Mack next to him on the DL would be sick.

This would shore up the 3 biggest needs in my opinion. The DT's and Safety. Plus get our backup RB and the LB the team is searching for.

Drafting Jeffrey Simmons also helps with the cap as they can move on from Crawford or Collins in 2020. Whichever one is asking for more.
Too many trades there to think anything even remotely like that scenario might happen. However, as I wrote elsewhere, I could see giving next year’s first for a second this year for the right guy.

Simmons is good and might be worth making the trade of next year’s first but he would likely have to be sitting there at the pick when the trade is made... and I doubt he falls out of the first.

I do like the idea of the 2020 first for the 2019 second though, for a guy Dallas really loves.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Too many trades there to think anything even remotely like that scenario might happen. However, as I wrote elsewhere, I could see giving next year’s first for a second this year for the right guy.

Simmons is good and might be worth making the trade of next year’s first but he would likely have to be sitting there at the pick when the trade is made... and I doubt he falls out of the first.

I do like the idea of the 2020 first for the 2019 second though, for a guy Dallas really loves.

They considered packaging 48 and 58 to move up to pick 24 740 points to 740. Dexter Lawrence, Jonathan Abram and Jeffrey Simmons were all still on the board. These are the 3 they were targeting. When all 3 were still available they decided to risk it and wait 10 more picks hoping 1 of the 3 were still available. Simmons was still there at pick 34. Therefore, they were able to get Simmons and Thornhill.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
They considered packaging 48 and 58 to move up to pick 24 740 points to 740. Dexter Lawrence, Jonathan Abram and Jeffrey Simmons were all still on the board. These are the 3 they were targeting. When all 3 were still available they decided to risk it and wait 10 more picks hoping 1 of the 3 were still available. Simmons was still there at pick 34. Therefore, they were able to get Simmons and Thornhill.
I like all three of those guys.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I like all three of those guys.

Me too. They are the 3 we have a realistic shot at being able to trade up for that I think might be worth it. Which is why I have been thinking about ways to trade up that could make some sense.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Abram is the most likely of the three, IMO. He’ll probably be the last one taken and the smaller the move up, the more likely it is to happen, I think.

He’s a really good player but the team would have to like him much more than Savage / Thornhill / Rapp, etc. in order to make that move, and I’m not sure they will.

Abram is my favorite safety in this draft because of his toughness, tackling, and alpha dog mentality. He’d be perfect for SS in Dallas.

Flamma

Reaction score

I can easily see Miami accepting that trade. Just can't count on acquiring #34 for picks 48 and 90. Same with pick 24 for 48 and 58. I know I wouldn't do it unless I was specifically looking for quantity over quality. In this specific situation I think the Raiders might bite, but I doubt the Colts would.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Things like this never happen "before the draft"

You may have some idea who will be there at 48, but it's hardly a sure thing and if your house is not in order and teams know who you like, and they like him too, you just gave them an easy aiming point to get ahead of you.

A trade like this could happen if your guy is there at 48 AND Miami is not happy with who is there.

Also, it's likely costing you your 2nd (58th) and a future pick, not just the future pick.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I can easily see Miami accepting that trade. Just can't count on acquiring #34 for picks 48 and 90. Same with pick 24 for 48 and 58. I know I wouldn't do it unless I was specifically looking for quantity over quality. In this specific situation I think the Raiders might bite, but I doubt the Colts would.

I hear you. Pick 48 is interesting enough since it is one ahead of Cle who is known to have interest in a specific player. (JS)

I would make the trade for 48 with Miami in the hopes of landing one of the 3 players targeted. Then wait until two of them go off the board and try to swing a deal then. Possibly even be willing to overpay to jump up and grab the last of the 3. Who knows? It's possible one of them lasts til 48. But even if we were to miss out on the 3 players being targeted due to not being able to find a trade partner Pick 48 is not a bad place to be.

If you can't find a trade partner to move up and get one of the big 3 and all three are gone before 48 then you can still add a very good player at 48 in addition to the haul we will receive for the rest of our picks. Deebo? Hakeem Butler? CB? OT?

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Things like this never happen "before the draft"

You may have some idea who will be there at 48, but it's hardly a sure thing and if your house is not in order and teams know who you like, and they like him too, you just gave them an easy aiming point to get ahead of you.

A trade like this could happen if your guy is there at 48 AND Miami is not happy with who is there.

Also, it's likely costing you your 2nd (58th) and a future pick, not just the future pick.

Nah. No way pick 58 and 2020 1st would be needed to move up 48. The whole premise for being willing to do it is the fact that Miami is tanking in 2019 to get a qb in 2020. Gaining the Dallas 2020 1st would be ammo they could use to combine with their own 2020 1st and any other ammo needed to ensure being able to get their guy in 2020.

I am not saying Miami would be willing to do it. I do think it is worth exploring though.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Nah. No way pick 58 and 2020 1st would be needed to move up 48. The whole premise for being willing to do it is the fact that Miami is tanking in 2019 to get a qb in 2020. Gaining the Dallas 2020 1st would be ammo they could use to combine with their own 2020 1st and any other ammo needed to ensure being able to get their guy in 2020.

I am not saying Miami would be willing to do it. I do think it is worth exploring though.

I can't think of a single incident where a trade like that occurred, especially pre-draft.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I can't think of a single incident where a trade like that occurred, especially pre-draft.

I can't think of any instances where a team was clearly tanking this far in advance of attempting to get a qb. Not in this obvious of a way anyway.

What would normally stop this type of trade from happening in advance would be the team attempting to acquire the 2019 2nd rounder would want to wait until during the draft to pull the trigger on the trade so that they know the player being targeted is there for the pick.

In this situation we could attempt to make the deal without knowing specifically who is available there in exchange for a little bit of value on the trade. Normally a 2020 1st from a team picking late in the round would be worth a late 2019 2nd round pick.

We gain a little value on the trade in exchange for doing it without guarantees of which players are available with the knowledge that we are going to try to trade up again if needed with another team. They gain the value of knowing the deal is done and not being reliant on finding a team willing to trade a future 1st on draft day for a specific player. That deal may not come.

Again, I am not sure they would be willing to do it but it is worth checking into.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
So the Cowboys are going to trade next years 1st round pick before the draft starts for pick 48 not knowing who's on the board.

That would probably be one of the dumbest moves made in the draft.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
So the Cowboys are going to trade next years 1st round pick before the draft starts for pick 48 not knowing who's on the board.

That would probably be one of the dumbest moves made in the draft.

Absolutely. The question shouldn't be would we would be willing to do it? The question is would Miami be willing to do it? There is no way they would if they weren't in tank mode. We don't know who is going to be on the board at pick 58 either but it doesn't make the pick any less valuable. There is a reason why future picks are less valuable. If you assume a similar finish for Dallas next year then it would be 2020 pick 27 traded for 2019 pick 48. Future picks are normally valued at a full round discount so our future pick should be valued at pick 59. We would be trading 310 points for 420 points.

Picks 48 and 58 would be enough value to get as high as pick 24. In the scenario I used we traded picks 48 and 90 to get to pick 34 which I believe is where we drafted D Lawrence a few years back. It also just happens to be where I believe the last of the real difference makers should go this year as well.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Absolutely. The question shouldn't be whether we would be willing to do it. The question is would Miami be willing to do it? There is no way they would if they weren't in tank mode. We don't know who is going to be on the board at pick 58 either but it doesn't make the pick any less valuable. There is a reason why future picks are less valuable. If you assume a similar finish for Dallas next year then it would be 2020 pick 27 traded for 2019 pick 48. Future picks are normally valued at a full round discount so our future pick should be valued at pick 59. We would be trading 310 points for 420 points.

Picks 48 and 58 would be enough value to get as high as pick 24. In the scenario I used we traded picks 48 and 90 to get to pick 34 which I believe is where we drafted D Lawrence a few years back. It also just happens to be where I believe the last of the real difference makers should go this year as well.

I think you are missing my point is, who in their right mind would trade next years 1st round pick for pick 48 with 0 clue who will be available. Now if they did that move when Miami is on the clock and a player they love is on the clock I get it although I think it would be an awful decision.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I think you are missing my point is, who in their right mind would trade next years 1st round pick for pick 48 with 0 clue who will be available. Now if they did that move when Miami is on the clock and a player they love is on the clock I get it although I think it would be an awful decision.

I didn't miss your point at all. You missed the point. If they waited until Miami was on the clock then there would be no way to take that pick and move up higher by combining it with another pick. Pick 48 has a value. I told you the value of pick 48 and I told you the value of our 2020 1st rd pick. Maybe you think it would be an awful decision because you just don't understand.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I didn't miss your point at all. You missed the point. If they waited until Miami was on the clock then there would be no way to take that pick and move up higher by combining it with another pick. Pick 48 has a value. I told you the value of pick 48 and I told you the value of our 2020 1st rd pick. Maybe you think it would be an awful decision because you just don't understand.

You're right, why in the world would you guy up a top 32 pick next year for a pick with 0 clue of what's available at the pick and even if you want to move up into the 1st no clue if you have a partner.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
You're right, why in the world would you guy up a top 32 pick next year for a pick with 0 clue of what's available at the pick and even if you want to move up into the 1st no clue if you have a partner.

Because pick 48 is worth more than the pick being traded and even if you couldn't find a trade partner you would be getting a top 48 player this year but as I said before, if I was going to miss out on one of the 3 players I am targeting I would be willing to overpay a little. Let's say for example, the team we are negotiating with at pick 34 didn't want to make the trade despite it being fair value for both sides I would be willing to throw in another late round pick. Or maybe I would be willing to trade with the team picking at 35 even though we would lose a little value. I am pretty sure there would be a way to make it happen but even if for some reason no one wanted to trade even if we gave them a little extra value.

We still get a player at pick 48 this year and that would be a pretty good player.