Moore Betta Offense - Yards After Catch

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I saw a thread earlier about our RedZone offense last season and thought I'd chime in on other less notable things that sometimes fans miss which in this case I wanted to discuss the importance of yards after catch.

Last season the Cowboys ranked 17th in yards after catch. Which was about middle of the pack. I personally feel that it was the play calling that prevented a lot of yards after the catch (a bunch of stop routes ect) and not to mention the first half of the season WR by committee did us no favors either.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?range=NFL&type=Receiving&rank=231

This is a very important stat IMO. If you look at the top 10 offenses in 2018; most of those teams are ranked in top 10 in yards after the catch. You had exceptions like the Saints who surprisingly did not do well in yards after the catch (even with Kamara) but was a top 10 offense all season and then you have Tampa who was top 10 in yards after the catch but not a top 10 offense in yards.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/netTotalYards

So yea I get it that this is not an exact science. With that said the 2 Superbowl teams last season were top 10 in both these stats. Of course defense at the end of the day decided the winner of the SB; its still an interesting point IMO because you have to get there at the end of the day to win it and positioning yourself for bye week's and home field advantage in the playoffs are key.

Now a lot depends on what our Moore Betta Offense will look like but IMO we have the talent to be a top 10 team in yards after the catch.

Amari Cooper - 4.3 forty
Zeke Elliott - 4.4 forty
Tavon Austin - 4.3 forty
Randall Cobb - 4.4 forty
Michael Gallup - 4.4 forty
Tony Pollard - 4.3 forty

All have the ability to extend plays after the catch.

While we often associate Zeke with yards after contact in the run game he is actually top 10 in the NFL in yards after the catch as well. Shockingly Amari is not even top 25; which IMO is a play calling problem.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats.html?mode=C&sort=recyac

If Kellen just simply adds routes to the playbook that allow our receivers to be play makers after the catch and actually calls those plays in the game; that in itself should lead to more scoring opportunities.

Thoughts?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I saw a thread earlier about our RedZone offense last season and thought I'd chime in on other less notable things that sometimes fans miss which in this case I wanted to discuss the importance of yards after catch.

Last season the Cowboys ranked 17th in yards after catch. Which was about middle of the pack. I personally feel that it was the play calling that prevented a lot of yards after the catch (a bunch of stop routes ect) and not to mention the first half of the season WR by committee did us no favors either.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?range=NFL&type=Receiving&rank=231

This is a very important stat IMO. If you look at the top 10 offenses in 2018; most of those teams are ranked in top 10 in yards after the catch. You had exceptions like the Saints who surprisingly did not do well in yards after the catch (even with Kamara) but was a top 10 offense all season and then you have Tampa who was top 10 in yards after the catch but not a top 10 offense in yards.

So yea I get it that this is not an exact science. With that said the 2 Superbowl teams last season were top 10 in both these stats. Of course defense at the end of the day decided the winner of the SB; its still an interesting point IMO because you have to get there at the end of the day to win it and positioning yourself for bye week's and home field advantage in the playoffs are key.

Now a lot depends on what our Moore Betta Offense will look like but IMO we have the talent to be a top 10 team in yards after the catch.

Amari Cooper - 4.3 forty
Zeke Elliott - 4.4 forty
Tavon Austin - 4.3 forty
Randall Cobb - 4.4 forty
Tony Pollard - 4.3 forty

While we often associate Zeke with yards after contact in the run game he is actually top 10 in the NFL in yards after the catch as well. Shockingly Amari is not even top 25; which IMO is a play calling problem.

If Kellen just simply adds routes to the playbook that allow our receivers to be play makers after the catch and actually calls those plays in the game; that in itself should lead to more scoring opportunities.

Thoughts?
Much better than "Moore's Beta Offense"...

Dre11

Reaction score

Amari Cooper - 4.3 forty
Zeke Elliott - 4.4 forty
Tavon Austin - 4.3 forty
Randall Cobb - 4.4 forty
Tony Pollard - 4.3 forty

Thoughts?

It's not just about the routes called. This drives me bonkers when people talk like this, the qb must be able to throw passes that allow run after catch opportunities. Accuracy is huge, any route can have yards after the catch, even on a stop route if the wr has a feel for where the defender is, if he sells the go route well enough he creates separation to be able to turn up field. Same with the comeback.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
It's not just about the routes called. This drives me bonkers when people talk like this, the qb must be able to throw passes that allow run after catch opportunities. Accuracy is huge, any route can have yards after the catch, even on a stop route if the wr has a feel for where the defender is, if he sells the go route well enough he creates separation to be able to turn up field. Same with the comeback.
If the WRs are not running the appropriate routes to be able to get yards after the catch......I'm just saying. How can Dak be missing passes on those routes if we are not running those routes? Yea any route can have yards after the catch as Dak and Amari proved that last season.....the idea is to do it more often with routes that lend itself towards yards after the catch. Bill Walsh created a whole offense on this premise....it was pretty epic you should have seen it.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Yep, RAC is large. Brady zips 8 yard passes, their RB take it for 8-10 more. No more Gronk may change that. Gronk just flat out abused DB's.

Coop was great at RAC and I'd like to see his numbers as a Cowboy. I'm not sure if he was great by design though. Gallup got better as the season went along. Zeke excels at it too. Beasley, not so much. Witt, not at all. Would be interested in how our group stacked up after Coop arrived.

Last edited:

ItzKelz

Reaction score
It takes more than speed. I give you Irvin as a prime example
Everyone but Pollard we've seen that they are good at running after the catch in the NFL. The speed only indicates the ability to take it to the house. With that said Pollard appears to have that ability after the catch but we will see.

Last edited:

Dre11

Reaction score
If the WRs are not running the appropriate routes to be able to get yards after the catch......I'm just saying. How can Dak be missing passes on those routes if we are not running those routes? Yea any route can have yards after the catch as Dak and Amari proved that last season.....the idea is to do it more often with routes that lend itself towards yards after the catch. Bill Walsh created a whole offense on this premise....it was pretty epic you should have seen it.

Again any route ran lends to yards after the catch, Again Accuracy and anticipation of the qb is the key ,also your qb has to be able to fit the concepts your asking . We dont know If Bill Walsh concepts fits Dak, we've seen Dak inaccurate on crossing routes which are highly used within Bill Walsh offense. So if you're asking them them run more west coast concepts, I don't see that being Dak' s strengths. Where Dak is accurate at times, he also need to improve a lot in that area. That in itself will create more yards after the catch. Bill Walsh offense is one of the most complicated offenses for qb .

Dre11

Reaction score
Yep, RAC is large. Brady zips 8 yard passes, their RB take it for 8-10 more. No more Gronk may change that. Gronk just flat out abused DB's.

Coop was great at RAC and I'd like to see his numbers as a Cowboy. I'm not sure if he was great by design though. Gallup got better as the season went along. Zeke excels at it too. Beasley, not so much. Witt, not at all. Would be interested in how our group stacked up after Coop arrived.

Coop is great at it because he run precise routes and can get separation.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Again any route ran lends to yards after the catch, Again Accuracy and anticipation of the qb is the key ,also your qb has to be able to fit the concepts your asking . We dont know If Bill Walsh concepts fits Dak, we've seen Dak inaccurate on crossing routes which are highly used within Bill Walsh offense. So if you're asking them them run more west coast concepts, I don't see that being Dak' s strengths. Where Dak is accurate at times, he also need to improve a lot in that area. That in itself will create more yards after the catch. Bill Walsh offense is one of the most complicated offenses for qb .
Dak has been one of the best tight window QBs in the NFL since he has been in the NFL with the OC doing him no favors. We will see what Moore does and how it plays into what Dak does well.

Dre11

Reaction score
Dak has been one of the best tight window QBs in the NFL since he has been in the NFL with the OC doing him no favors. We will see what Moore does and how it plays into what Dak does well.

Hence, no run after the catch opportunities, IIRC, that stat came out when we were actually struggling in the pass game because our wrs weren't getting separation. What I hope is Cooper/Gallup/Dak are working night and day on chemistry.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Or that the receivers weren't doing their jobs. Hence the trade for Coop, what do you know the play calling magically got better:rolleyes: especially the passing game
Cooper can get open in any offense even with the lack of creative play calling. But I truly do not disagree with the premise of the point you are making.