Moore is possibly a good coach

Cmac

Reaction score
What’s your relevance to Kellen Moore’s ability or inability to gameplan and coach an offense?

My Andy Reid point is clear. Big fat dude could never play QB or any position not on the line and yet he has half the nfl coaches being his former assistants.
Andy Reid came up the ranks......that doesn't happen in Dallas....Upstart gets the world as long as he says yes, yes, yes.

superonyx

Reaction score
Andy Reid came up the ranks......that doesn't happen in Dallas....Upstart gets the world as long as he says yes, yes, yes.
I am not saying I agree with Moore (if he is the guy).
But look around the league. Teams are grabbing coaches off of the Andy Reid and McVey tree with little experience. I dont know the mind of Moore so i can't speak intelligently to his ability to coach offense in the nfl. He may be an offensive football wizard for all i know.

My original point was that we can't just look at what type of player Moore was as an indicator of the type of offense coach he would be.
The OP is attempting to say Moore would suck because he played at Boise and we are not Boise. I don't think it works that way.
Matt Nagy was the QB for University of Delaware Blue Hens. He is a pretty good coach for the Colts this year. Last I checked the colts were not running the Winged T like Nagy did in college.

Sydla

Reaction score
Moore has done a little more than what you're suggesting in your analogy. Stating otherwise is removing his history and all context.

I just don't know what would make Moore more qualified, which is why I'm asking - how many years does he need as a position coach before he become qualified? Getting praise from college coaches, NFL coaches, and players on this team isn't enough to say he might just be a good choice for the job?

More than one year coaching might be a good start.

Playing experience is great but trying to equate playing experience to coaching experience is a stretch. There are a lot of failed former players turned coaches out there.

He very well may be a great coach down the road (I hope he is and he’s doing it here in Dallas) but IMO, at this point, his inexperience is a risk.

The only way this makes sense is if the rumor of Garrett taking playcalling back is true. Then Moore can ease into an OC role.

It just seems to me that if you are heading into Year 9 of a HC’s regime where the pressure is building to win NOW, hiring a first time OC with one year of experience as a NFL coach and was part of the offensive staff that led a mediocre offense the year before seems like an unnecessary risk.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yet, the bolded point eludes far too many fans.

Sure but McVay has 6 years of coaching under his belt before being made OC.

Nagy has almost 10 years of coaching under his belt before being OC in KC.

Moore going from QB to OC in basically a season would be unheard of and IMO an unnecessary risk.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Dak's mum died while he was in college, that's the kind of thing that'll age up a rookie pretty fast.
This makes no sense honestly because this happened a year before he even entered the league. Has nothing to do with age up anybody.

JustChip

Reaction score
Sure but McVay has 6 years of coaching under his belt before being made OC.

Nagy has almost 10 years of coaching under his belt before being OC in KC.
Moore going from QB to OC in basically a season would be unheard of and IMO an unnecessary risk.

I'm not championing Moore for OC, but neither am I dismissing him outright simply because he doesn't have x amount of experience. Someone, I don't remember who, asked the question how do you know when one has enough experience. The answer is you never do for sure and it varies from individual to individual. Also, did McVeigh NEED 6 years as an assistant position coach or did it just take that long for someone to be willing to take the risk?

But if one believes the OC needs more coaching experience, and that's fine, wouldn't that then also exclude Tony Romo? Yet many on here clamor for that, even to be HC. And I believe many are at the same time vehemently against Moore.

What I'm expecting is for the FO to do what any business does when searching for talent. Codify what it is they want from the position and then conduct a thorough interview to determine whether a candidate can deliver those needs. Personally, I would be looking for the candidate to bring fresh ideas, not necessarily a totally new playbook, whether I felt those ideas were inline with what I wanted and needed, and whether that individual could mesh with the existing personnel.

The biggest risk to me with Kellen Moore isn't his inexperience, but that he's currently inhouse. In my 35 years of middle and executive management, I was very wary of promoting from within because of the chance of becoming stagnant or myopic. But there is a risk to bringing in from outside as well - it's a balance.

Personally, the one individual I would not want is Josh McDaniels. I have zero confidence that he can or will be effective outside of NE. He wouldn't have Brady or Belichick here.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm not championing Moore for OC, but neither am I dismissing him outright simply because he doesn't have x amount of experience. Someone, I don't remember who, asked the question how do you know when one has enough experience. The answer is you never do for sure and it varies from individual to individual. Also, did McVeigh NEED 6 years as an assistant position coach or did it just take that long for someone to be willing to take the risk?

But if one believes the OC needs more coaching experience, and that's fine, wouldn't that then also exclude Tony Romo? Yet many on here clamor for that, even to be HC. And I believe many are at the same time vehemently against Moore.

What I'm expecting is for the FO to do what any business does when searching for talent. Codify what it is they want from the position and then conduct a thorough interview to determine whether a candidate can deliver those needs. Personally, I would be looking for the candidate to bring fresh ideas, not necessarily a totally new playbook, whether I felt those ideas were inline with what I wanted and needed, and whether that individual could mesh with the existing personnel.

The biggest risk to me with Kellen Moore isn't his inexperience, but that he's currently inhouse. In my 35 years of middle and executive management, I was very wary of promoting from within because of the chance of becoming stagnant or myopic. But there is a risk to bringing in from outside as well - it's a balance.

Personally, the one individual I would not want is Josh McDaniels. I have zero confidence that he can or will be effective outside of NE. He wouldn't have Brady or Belichick here.

I have no idea if he'll be a good coach or not.

I just view this in the context of a franchise that is scuffling to get over the hump and just went through two seasons where the offense sputtered at times and just fired their OC. Not sure it is wise to hire in house, especially a guy who has pretty much zero coaching experience outside of one year.

I wouldn't hire Romo either. And I agree on McDaniels.

Darkhound

Reaction score
All my expectations and resepdt for this franchise have gotten to the waste

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
In my 35 years of middle and executive management, I was very wary of promoting from within because of the chance of becoming stagnant or myopic.

Sidetrack, but that is possibly the most middle management thing I've ever heard. :D

You know you've truly become a manager when you believe that the people currently doing the work that warrants promotions are the wrong people to promote.

As to Kellen, I don't buy that he's a bad coach for the same reason I don't buy that he's a good coach, there's not enough tape.

Going from QB coach to OC with a single season of experience seems bonkers to me, unless the plan is for Garrett to resume directing the offense anyway, in which case Kellen would be getting a title change but not a responsibility change – which still sound stupid to me.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You're not going to find "the next McVay" on the open market. Teams don't let coaches that good go, and if they do, the coach has his choice of landing spots.

If you want your young, innnovative coach, you're going to have to take a chance on an unproven guy. SSoup's breakdown of Sean McVay's career prior to becoming an offensive coordinator was outstanding, and it should be added that he was only 27 when he got that OC gig.
agree. nobody thought McVay would be what he is...everyone laughed and questioned the move...so now they are all johnny comes lately...if we would have hired mcvay, everyone would be questioning it then

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I disagree with this. If Kellen Moore is a good coach he will tailor the offense to the player. The other point is that Dak made the adjustment to the NFL better than any rookie QB in history, if he wasn't coachable or a student of the game he wouldn't have been able to do that. Jason Witten was always hard on rookies and he said Dak picked up the playbook extremely quickly.
dak was protected more than you think....his rookie year they limited him and leaned on the OL and zeke. he walked into the perfect situation.

JustChip

Reaction score
Sidetrack, but that is possibly the most middle management thing I've ever heard. :D

You know you've truly become a manager when you believe that the people currently doing the work that warrants promotions are the wrong people to promote.

As to Kellen, I don't buy that he's a bad coach for the same reason I don't buy that he's a good coach, there's not enough tape.

I never said that I didn't do it - I did. I said I was wary. To put it another way, I was cognizant of the possibility of that and factored that into my selection process. Just as I was cognizant of the fact that an outside candidate brings unknowns regardless of how thorough the interview process is and factored that in. There were times I wanted and needed the familiarity and times I wanted and needed a fresh face.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Moore would have to be a wizard to make garrret's stale offense look good.
actually if you really look at the schemes and play designs, most route trees, and plays are similar regardless of the offense. even the timing vs. west coast offenses are blending. the key is the pre-snap lineup and movement and what combinations you run and more important than anything else the in game play calling. linehan wasn't found of presnap movements, nor was his in game play calling that good. most good OCs, run plays to evaluate how the defense aligns and responds and they use that for subsequent play calls. mcvay is really good at that in game evaluation. obviously the last important piece is execution. this is not a dak bash, so don't read it that way, but we had had a lot of down field plays with WRs wide open and dak missed it. so execution will make any OC look good.

GMO415

Reaction score
Two thoughts here:

He wanted to call certain plays to use Dak's strengths and Linehan told him to STHU or

He's a clone of Linehan and he should have been fired along with him .

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Moore was essentially a QB coach when he was a “backup” Qb.

Lets be real he wasn’t here to sling the rock around or at any point really step foot on the field at QB.

If he didn’t hurt himself the year he and tony got hurt he would of been surpassed by dak or a vet would of been brought in.

Dude is insanely football savey. He has the brain of a Payton Manning. (If you watched Boise state when he was qb) ice water vained like time brady) and a football body that couldn’t make a high school kicker envious.

I won’t love the hire. But it’s not because he is a potentially bad coach.

I won’t love the hire because Dak doesn’t have the mind of a Peyton Manning. He isn’t a statue like Tom brady.

Dak has the wheels of a cam newton. The body of a cam newton. Many similar strengths to a can newton. Dak a little smarter and much more tolerable personality wise imo. Where as cam can just huck it unlike I’ve ever seen.

My point is I think kellan Could be a good coach. I just don’t think he is the right coach for Dak.

This from a man who has been on the blue turf many many times. And has met kellan a few times.

Lets hope I’m wrong about him being just a good coach and he ends up being a incredible coach who can teach any type of QB and run a creative innovative offense like we had here at home.

Please football gods let him be the next Mcvay everyone is looking for.

Moore will likely be better at tailoring the game plan to fit what Dak does best.

It was the Rams OLine scheme that really killed the Cowboys. The Cowboys still miss Bill Callahan. Columbo is probably good at working with players but I don't expect any scheme change. The Hudson Houck scheme was never great, IMO. Tony Wise was the OL coach that developed the Super Bowl OLines and Bill Callahan was the guy that came in an made the OL great again a few years ago.

Ebnorice

Reaction score
Moore will likely be better at tailoring the game plan to fit what Dak does best.

It was the Rams OLine scheme that really killed the Cowboys. The Cowboys still miss Bill Callahan. Columbo is probably good at working with players but I don't expect any scheme change. The Hudson Houck scheme was never great, IMO. Tony Wise was the OL coach that developed the Super Bowl OLines and Bill Callahan was the guy that came in an made the OL great again a few years ago.
I wish and pray every night for Bill Callahan to return.