Moore's first task as OC is getting rid of jumbo running packages Garrett likes

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Does the jumbo include one WR?

Cooper spread wide forcing the defense either to single or double him.

I always liked this. Better with Dez and Romo, or Aikman and Irvin. Neither Irvin nor Dez should have ever left the field near the goal line. If you get singled, take it.

Cooper isn't as good a match for this, and neither is Dak. Cooper is more speed and routes than beating the other guy to the ball, and Dak just doesn't have the best ball placement. But Cooper is probably still our best WR near the goal line. He's more like Beasley, and should play between the slot and wide so he has the option to cut both ways.

BUt Dak is a better match for the run game, and jumbo packages. Built like a LB. He and Zeke can both run. They should be able to both block for each other too.

If your QB can participate as a runner and a blocker near the goal line, you've got a huge advantage.

If they cover Cooper wide, we've got hat on hat for defenders in the box, with Dak running free. Same for Zeke, if Dak get get his hat on someone. Or at least draw a defender to cover his potential run.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
JG, and Co don't need to reinvent the game, just use the common sense Scott lacked

This.

Linehan set a very low bar with his poor use of what we had. If Moore is simply sensible, he should look great with the advantage of the oline overflowing and WRs returning instead of all being new like last year.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Or just utilize the FB as they should be used.
What, using him 12 times a year isn’t effective enough?

I think it’s an outdated position. With the size and strength of defenses it makes more sense to spread them out and create space. IMO.

Though, I’d be open and interested to hear how you’d use them.

I just don’t know why a backup LB, guard, or whoever couldn’t run forward three yards and hit a guy.

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What, using him 12 times a year isn’t effective enough?

I think it’s an outdated position. With the size and strength of defenses it makes more sense to spread them out and create space. IMO.

Though, I’d be open and interested to hear how you’d use them.

I just don’t know why a backup LB, guard, or whoever couldn’t run forward three yards and hit a guy.

Because Olawale is a good athlete and has some speed. Maybe Moore will figure out, or knows of a way to use him more.
Linehan under utilized him, or he may have. I can't say, as we need to see more to find out.

Maybe Moore can have them in the backfield on play action, then send him and Zeke, or Weber or Pollad out for a catch. More fake handoffs or just hand him the ball at times.
I know, someone will ask, just hand it to Zeke, as he is the catalyst anyway. But yet thy want less predictability.

I can't off much more than that, as I am not an OC, nor pretend to be one on the internet, and I do not stay at Holiday Inn Express. :laugh:

Maybe you are correct and it is outdated, nor needed in this offense. But Garrett has always had one, so no reason to think otherwise at the moment. Only how he can be used more effectively.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
isnt that the guy who was wide open and missed a td in a game that they could of won if he makes that play the full back that is

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
isnt that the guy who was wide open and missed a td in a game that they could of won if he makes that play the full back that is

Or was that the guy that Dak should have thrown a stronger pass to to get in where it needed to be?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's always the case. Safest thing to do is run for 1st downs. Dak throws too much and it can be alot of 3 and outs quick. Dak just has to take advantage of receivers single covered. That means coop being a decoy at times since he gets doubled and connecting long to gallop a bit more would help.
It might be the safest thing to do but everybody knows we're doing it

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It might be the safest thing to do but everybody knows we're doing it

Watch enough tape on any team and you too can figure out what they are doing based on personnel and alignments. Romo calls these plays because he watches tons of tape, always has.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
getting rid of the jumbo running packages that Garrett likes and spreading the defense out with 3 and 4wr sets. It's a common myth that we have a steamrolling type of OL when in reality they are more technically sound than any line in the NFL. Use that and let DBs tackle Zeke rather than LBers.

Power bunch formations stopped working in 1996.
Did we have those Jumbo packages before Linehan? I do not recall them.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It's funny, this thread starts with a post about getting rid of a "Jumbo Package" because it hasn't worked since the 90s, yet our own Richard, at least in part, lost his job in Seattle because they didn't use a Heavy package on the goal line but instead, tried to through the ball.

Guess you can't please everybody.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
KM isn’t going to blow up this offense, he’s going to tweak it. It’s still going to be a ball-control, hog time of possession, ram the football down your throat offense. It will be run to set up the play action pass. Those three TE looks aren’t going away, sorry.

But hopefully we’ll see the wrinkles that this offense is missing. Less of those dumb curl routes for example and more (a lot more) motion. Hopefully the team will run the ball out of the spread offense and do other things to challenge those safeties that keep creeping up ever closer in the box.

And finally, this team does have some speed especially now with Pollard. Gotta find a way to take advantage of it.

kumizi

Reaction score
Has the Kellen Moore hype reached Sanjay Lal levels yet?

Like a first year coach is going to have any power vs the guy that’s been the head coach here for a decade. I don’t expect much change.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Has the Kellen Moore hype reached Sanjay Lal levels yet?

Like a first year coach is going to have any power vs the guy that’s been the head coach here for a decade. I don’t expect much change.

The Jones boys know that Garrett is not a good OC and I am hoping they drew a line in the sand on him being the OC. No there's more anxiety than hype with Moore.

ondaedg

Reaction score
It's funny, this thread starts with a post about getting rid of a "Jumbo Package" because it hasn't worked since the 90s, yet our own Richard, at least in part, lost his job in Seattle because they didn't use a Heavy package on the goal line but instead, tried to through the ball.

Guess you can't please everybody.

Not following you on this. Kris Richard who was the db coach and DC at Seattle?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Good question. I believe Garrett has always ran some type of jumbo package including before Linehan.
I honestly do not remember it that way. I will have to watch a few games pre-Linehan.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Kellen Moore had a couple of months as QB coach ,

I think he will do superb job against the Belicheks and McVays of the league .

<Balloon Deflating Sound>

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
getting rid of the jumbo running packages that Garrett likes and spreading the defense out with 3 and 4wr sets. It's a common myth that we have a steamrolling type of OL when in reality they are more technically sound than any line in the NFL. Use that and let DBs tackle Zeke rather than LBers.

Power bunch formations stopped working in 1996.
Where did you think this up?

If the other team does not matchup physically and the down and distance is right..

and you have the best RB in the NFL..

run over the other guy.

It's called NFL football.

Not Arena League.

Personally..

I enjoy watching us intimidate the other team.

It gives me a sense of control.

I have watched Don Perkins, Calvin Hill, Duane Thomas, Tony Dorsett, Hershel Walker, Emmitt Smith and now waiting for Zeke to now do it.

Let me enjoy the game.

:angry:

Last edited:

ondaedg

Reaction score
Where did you think this up?

If the other team does not matchup physically and the down and distance is right..

and you have the best RB in the NFL..

run over the other guy.

It's called NFL football.

Not Arena League.

Personally..

I enjoy watching us intimidate the other team.

It gives me a sense of control.

I have watched Don Perkins, Calvin Hill, Duane Thomas, Tony Dorsett, Hershel Walker, Emmitt Smith and now waiting for Zeke to now do it.

Let me enjoy the game.

:angry:

Enjoy it all you want. I'm just posting an opinion in a forum. But I didn't see any success from this formation. And I can recall several 4th downs where we were stopped running from this package. Bulldozing died in this league years ago. Maybe watch some VHS of the 90s games? ;)