Moose Johnston on ESPN radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Question, though. How can it be political maneuvering when we're talking about a private conversation with a friend and former teammate? This is Moose sharing the story here of what Jason reportedly thinks.

For four years now, we've heard nothing but complaining about Jason Garrett's decisions as he dismantled the high price OL we had when he took over and systematically devoted resources to rebuilding it for the long term while turning over options for the short term and looking to find diamonds in the rough. At the same time, we had even more dramatic issues in the secondary and a defensive front 7 that was only a year or two behind the OL in terms of it's personnel. Now, we finally have the OL in place, and people are trying to make the argument that it wasn't planned or that it wasn't something attributable to the head coach. That just doesn't make sense.

We've heard the same sorts of complaints about play calling for years now, too. First it was Jason Garrett is an idiot and can't call plays. Then he was neutered by Jerry. Then Callahan could do a better job calling plays than Jason ever could. Then Callahan was an idiot and couldn't call plays. Then Jason was neutered by Jerry again when he looked for a play caller in the offseason. Then Jason was an idiot for hiring Linehan who was pass-happy and also one of his cronies. Now Linehan's a run-calling genius who gets all the credit for bringing the offense from 4th in the entire league on an offensive points/series basis up to 3rd in the league on an offensive points/series basis. And what's Garrett said publicly by way of political maneuvering about all of this? Nothing that I've heard short of giving lots of praise to his players and staff and reminding everybody that the goal is to keep improving and performing better. Conclusion from our fans: Jason Garrett is a political posturer who needs to be kept far away from his own offense.

Meanwhile, we're playing better defense and we've won three games. A far cry from last year's 2-2 at this point. And people are getting away hinting at post season runs. Redonkulous.

This organization needs to just sit tight. We need to continue to do the things we do well offensively and to continue to be as efficient as we have been the last two+ seasons. We need to continue to play ST at a very high level. We need to hold onto the ball if we're going to actually start beating good teams. And we need to improve dramatically still in terms of taking the ball away from the other guys and in terms of making it hard for them to throw against us. We need to stop trying to find excuses for how we could possibly be having success when the owner, the GM, Stephen Jones, and the head coach are incompetent and being propped up by the (sorry, but it's hilarious) offensive and defensive coordinators. We need realize that a lot of us who have been complaining about literally every aspect of this franchise for the last few years and deriding the decisions that have been made every single step of the way are now turning around with the audacity to act vindicated when the accumulation of those moves looks to be working well in the very short term. We need to sit tight, enjoy the fact that the prospects for the future look good, at least for this week, and anticipate a DL getting stronger over the next few weeks as we get Spencer back to form and Demarcus Lawrence come back. And then we need to appreciate for a little bit, that we're fortunate to have a coach capable of handling the crazy-meddlesome owner, the enormous spotlight on America's Team, the challenging cap situation, and the significant work required in overhauling a large percentage of the personnel on this team without the benefit of significant additional draft picks. We ought to be glad we're in the position we appear to be in, instead of finding logically tortured explanations for how it could have happened with no real plan whatsoever. We ought to, but we won't. Because we're Dallas Cowboys fans, and we think this stuff just happens by magic when your hat has a star on it or when you bring in the former offensive mastermind of the Vikings, Dolphins, Rams, and Lions.

I'm sorry. But give me a break.

Spot on Idgit. Sadly I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears. This post deserves it's own thread.

gdogg24

Reaction score
What you left out was he was not given the chance to blow it up and start over all at once. He had to rebuild and keep them in contention because Jerry would not allow us to be in a full rebuilding mold. Had he been able to gut everything that needed it all at once we would have seen a quicker rebuild,.

What I find funny is the complete denial that Garrett wants us to be a balanced offense. The naysayers point to rushing averages and 20 carry win/lost records as proof without all the variables. The fact is we could run well at times, but never consistently and almost never when we needed to.

There is a reason that 3rd down and short conversion rate running the ball is shooting through the roof this year. He finally has the pieces to run it inside where you need to in short yardage.

It never made a whole lot of sense to me that a guy who played during that era didn't support that style of football. Considering that once they added three major pieces to the O-line and then there's a drastic change in the style of play, I think it supports that Garrett had an idea in mind that it took a while to implement.

gdogg24

Reaction score
Question, though. How can it be political maneuvering when we're talking about a private conversation with a friend and former teammate? This is Moose sharing the story here of what Jason reportedly thinks.

For four years now, we've heard nothing but complaining about Jason Garrett's decisions as he dismantled the high price OL we had when he took over and systematically devoted resources to rebuilding it for the long term while turning over options for the short term and looking to find diamonds in the rough. At the same time, we had even more dramatic issues in the secondary and a defensive front 7 that was only a year or two behind the OL in terms of it's personnel. Now, we finally have the OL in place, and people are trying to make the argument that it wasn't planned or that it wasn't something attributable to the head coach. That just doesn't make sense.

We've heard the same sorts of complaints about play calling for years now, too. First it was Jason Garrett is an idiot and can't call plays. Then he was neutered by Jerry. Then Callahan could do a better job calling plays than Jason ever could. Then Callahan was an idiot and couldn't call plays. Then Jason was neutered by Jerry again when he looked for a play caller in the offseason. Then Jason was an idiot for hiring Linehan who was pass-happy and also one of his cronies. Now Linehan's a run-calling genius who gets all the credit for bringing the offense from 4th in the entire league on an offensive points/series basis up to 3rd in the league on an offensive points/series basis. And what's Garrett said publicly by way of political maneuvering about all of this? Nothing that I've heard short of giving lots of praise to his players and staff and reminding everybody that the goal is to keep improving and performing better. Conclusion from our fans: Jason Garrett is a political posturer who needs to be kept far away from his own offense.

Meanwhile, we're playing better defense and we've won three games. A far cry from last year's 2-2 at this point. And people are getting away hinting at post season runs. Redonkulous.

This organization needs to just sit tight. We need to continue to do the things we do well offensively and to continue to be as efficient as we have been the last two+ seasons. We need to continue to play ST at a very high level. We need to hold onto the ball if we're going to actually start beating good teams. And we need to improve dramatically still in terms of taking the ball away from the other guys and in terms of making it hard for them to throw against us. We need to stop trying to find excuses for how we could possibly be having success when the owner, the GM, Stephen Jones, and the head coach are incompetent and being propped up by the (sorry, but it's hilarious) offensive and defensive coordinators. We need realize that a lot of us who have been complaining about literally every aspect of this franchise for the last few years and deriding the decisions that have been made every single step of the way are now turning around with the audacity to act vindicated when the accumulation of those moves looks to be working well in the very short term. We need to sit tight, enjoy the fact that the prospects for the future look good, at least for this week, and anticipate a DL getting stronger over the next few weeks as we get Spencer back to form and Demarcus Lawrence come back. And then we need to appreciate for a little bit, that we're fortunate to have a coach capable of handling the crazy-meddlesome owner, the enormous spotlight on America's Team, the challenging cap situation, and the significant work required in overhauling a large percentage of the personnel on this team without the benefit of significant additional draft picks. We ought to be glad we're in the position we appear to be in, instead of finding logically tortured explanations for how it could have happened with no real plan whatsoever. We ought to, but we won't. Because we're Dallas Cowboys fans, and we think this stuff just happens by magic when your hat has a star on it or when you bring in the former offensive mastermind of the Vikings, Dolphins, Rams, and Lions.

I'm sorry. But give me a break.

Great post

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm not sure where the 3 game winning streak mis-information came from but this is 2011, other than that, I agree with your post. There was also a 3 game winning streak in 2012

• 8 OCT 30 LOSS COWBOYS 7 EAGLES 34

• 9 NOV 6 WIN SEAHAWKS 13 COWBOYS 23

• 10 NOV 13 WIN BILLS 7 COWBOYS 44

• 11 NOV 20 WIN COWBOYS 27 Commanders 24

• 12 NOV 24 WIN DOLPHINS 19 COWBOYS 20

• 13 DEC 4 LOSS COWBOYS 13 CARDINALS 19

Oops. My reference to a 3-game winning streak was bad info I had seen previously.
I had based that error on another article that stated it was Garret's first 3-game win streak. My bad.

Last edited:

slomoxn

Reaction score
I remember the only games Garrett would call run plays excessively were after games he or Romo blew passing too much and losing a lead. Then every tv commentator, sports analyst and fan would be pounding on his head asking why he didn't do the obvious and run the ball to protect the lead. The other scenario would be Murry's YPC and how the run blocking was better than pass blocking but this team refused to run and would lose games as a result.

After being severely criticized he would get mad and act like a kid the next game running the ball even in situations that called for passes just to prove a point I guess. His feel for the fame is a lot better than mine but that ain't saying %%^*! The results we are seeing now are due to the OC telling Romo no more kill to a pass in short yardage and Garrett not being the play caller on either side of the ball.

All I know is that right now watching the other teams and what is happening here I have real hope that this team may have a decent shot and if the defense gets to just mediocre the playoffs are a reality so keep Garrett holding the clip board and Romo handing the ball off and I think we'll be ok.

blindzebra

Reaction score
I remember the only games Garrett would call run plays excessively were after games he or Romo blew passing too much and losing a lead. Then every tv commentator, sports analyst and fan would be pounding on his head asking why he didn't do the obvious and run the ball to protect the lead. The other scenario would be Murry's YPC and how the run blocking was better than pass blocking but this team refused to run and would lose games as a result.

After being severely criticized he would get mad and act like a kid the next game running the ball even in situations that called for passes just to prove a point I guess. His feel for the fame is a lot better than mine but that ain't saying %%^*! The results we are seeing now are due to the OC telling Romo no more kill to a pass in short yardage and Garrett not being the play caller on either side of the ball.

All I know is that right now watching the other teams and what is happening here I have real hope that this team may have a decent shot and if the defense gets to just mediocre the playoffs are a reality so keep Garrett holding the clip board and Romo handing the ball off and I think we'll be ok.

So the passing game coordinator using Garrett's playbook, after a weeks worth of game planning with Garrett and the OL and running game coordinator has all the power on Sunday?

Right....

Just when I thought I'd read the most idiotic thing ever on the internet we have a new challenger.

slomoxn

Reaction score
So the passing game coordinator using Garrett's playbook, after a weeks worth of game planning with Garrett and the OL and running game coordinator has all the power on Sunday?

Right....

Just when I thought I'd read the most idiotic thing ever on the internet we have a new challenger.

Oh I'm sorry Mr I don't remember this very board exploding everytime it happened, was my post so idiotic you just had to respond because you had nothing better to do or are you just one of those people that can't help it? And please make my death in your world just quick you've already caused pain having to read your useless drivel... Freaking internet Einstein.

Status
Not open for further replies.