Moose: "Cowboys Won't Make the Playoffs"

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Moose: Cowboys won't make playoffs

by Justin Terranova, New York Post

Updated: November 6, 2008, 4:47 PM EST

NFL on FOX analyst Daryl "Moose" Johnston won three Super Bowls with the Cowboys, but the former fullback doesn't see this Dallas team making the playoffs, let alone winning a Super Bowl.

Johnston, who lives in Dallas, says the city has turned on its beloved Cowboys.

"It's unbelievable. The reversal in the atmosphere of the town from the end of September to the end of October is unbelievable," Johnston told the New York Post. "You had people packing their bags for Tampa (site of Super Bowl XLIII) at the end of September and now they're canceling their reservations at the end of October. It's typical rats off the ship."

The most obvious problem with "America's Team" is the broken pinky of starting quarterback Tony Romo, who has missed the team's past three games. Dallas went 1-2 in that stretch, including an embarrassing 35-14 loss to the Giants in the Meadowlands. Backups Brad Johnson and Brooks Bollinger have struggled mightily, but Romo returned to practice yesterday during the team's bye week and is looking to start when the Cowboys play in Washington on Nov. 16

But Johnston said he believes the problems stretch far beyond Romo's absence.

"They weren't playing that well when Tony was healthy. They didn't play well against Cincinnati, didn't play well at Arizona. There's nothing to say when Tony gets back in there that everything is going to be fine again," said Johnston, who will be calling the Jets-Rams game for FOX on Sunday.
"When reporters talk to coaches and they're like, 'What's going on, why can't you get this fixed?' it's like 'If I knew what was wrong, I would have corrected it. I am not in the business of losing football games with correctable problems.'

"When it's something you just can't put your finger on, that's scary. One week it's special teams. One week it's the quarterback. One week you can run the football and then your quarterback goes down and you are really exposed. Unfortunately for Dallas, I don't think anyone really knows what the problem is."

The Giants are more than happy to watch their longtime rivals suffer as they flourish. Even with the loss of DEs Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora, the Giants continue their tremendous roll that started with last season's playoffs.

"With the Giants vs. the Cowboys it was a talk of team vs. talent, and the team won out easily," Johnston said.

The Cowboys' trip to Washington starts a brutal stretch that ends their season. The Giants can do their part to keep the Cowboys out of the playoffs when the teams meet again on Dec. 14.

"It's going to be hard for them to qualify for the playoffs," Johnston said of the Cowboys. "The margin of error for them is so slim and they've got Washington, Philly, the Giants, Pittsburgh and Baltimore in their last seven games. They've got to win five of those final seven, so there is no margin of error for them. It will be interesting to see."

According to Johnston, no one involved with the team can escape the wrath of the media and fans.

"You don't have enough fingers down here," Johnston said. "It's Jerry Jones, it's Wade Phillips, it's the offensive line, it's the backup quarterback, it's the special teams, it's everywhere. And no one can really put a finger on where it is and that's the scary part."

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
why did they quote him saying that yet he didn't say that anywhere in that article?

BLEU3ASY

Reaction score
whatever moose!! i felt like we needed to win one out of the three games and we did. hopefully things will click and btw way look at every team in the NFCs schedule, all those teams still play each other. who knows, one day the "pack" can be far ahead of you and then you look up and either you have caught them or they have gotten tired.....

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It depends on Romo being healthy. Some in the press, and our own fans, say that the offense was not doing so well when Romo was healthy. However I think some overlook that we did not Roy Williams in the rotation at that time and people were constantly double teaming TO while we were not getting speed down the field from other WRs except for Austin on occasion. We also have been missing another player that has proven to provide a spark, when they would use him, in Felix Jones. He too has been missing. Plus we have not had Kosier and although he is considered the weakest link in the O-Line, I think we have all seen that the weakest link in the O-Line is better than those we have replaced him with in his absence. Of course this does not take into account the recent poor play of Flozell and his own injury.

Now does that mean when Romo, Kosier and Felix are healthy and Roy in that the Offense will start picking it up again? Who knows...but it is something that has to be considered.

However that does not mean the defense will improve...maybe they continue to play crappy or maybe they play like they did against the bucs...another one of those who knows situations.

You just never know with this team anymore. But I would think if Romo is healthy there have been open WRs with brad playing but he would just miss them. What we have to wonder is how fast Romo can get back into the rhythm of things and how long it would take him and Roy to get on the same page.

Time will tell I guess, one thing is clear though...there will be no more eating of the cheese or just showing up to a game thinking it is an automatic win. They are now in a position where every game should be considered a dog fight and if they still don't show up then it is on them.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Hostile;2405706 said:
"It's unbelievable. The reversal in the atmosphere of the town from the end of September to the end of October is unbelievable," Johnston told the New York Post. "You had people packing their bags for Tampa (site of Super Bowl XLIII) at the end of September and now they're canceling their reservations at the end of October. It's typical rats off the ship."

Wow, heaven help us all, if the "atmosphere" of a town, can derail a professional sports organization, in what according to the all-knowing Johnston, in such an absolute way!!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
With the Giants vs. the Cowboys it was a talk of team vs. talent, and the team won out easily," Johnston said.
Oh please. Are you seriously saying that we had more talent on the field without Romo (and Newman and Felix and Kosier and a real starting safety) than the Giants? Good grief.

BTW, didn't see a recap of Troy's show this morning on the Ticket, but he said he didn't think we would make it, either. Said it was maybe 50/50 but his gut feel was that we don't make it.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
You shouldn't have said that Moose.

Now people will claim you have an anti-Dallas bias.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score

"It's going to be hard for them to qualify for the playoffs,"

You gotta love the media.

Just think how sweet it will be when we win our next seven games and take the NFC East.

Stick it up the collective buts of the Giants, Eagles, Commanders, their fans and of course all the negative media.

The bitterness and HATE will be legendary!

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
If anyone wonders what's wrong with the team, see my sig.

Does he actually say we won't make the playoffs? Looks to me like he just says it'll be tough.

Having said that, we probably won't make it. Nothing real controversial in thinking a 5-4 team with a difficult schedule won't make the playoffs.

stiletto

Reaction score
REALITY sucks but Moose is speaking objectively. We'd all like to see it turned around but really there are no signs yet. Just talk. Plus some hopes+dreams of fans.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
First sentence says he doesn't see the Cowboys making the playoffs although he doesn't quote that.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2405724 said:
It depends on Romo being healthy. Some in the press, and our own fans, say that the offense was not doing so well when Romo was healthy. However I think some overlook that we did not Roy Williams in the rotation at that time and people were constantly double teaming TO while we were not getting speed down the field from other WRs except for Austin on occasion. We also have been missing another player that has proven to provide a spark, when they would use him, in Felix Jones. He too has been missing. Plus we have not had Kosier and although he is considered the weakest link in the O-Line, I think we have all seen that the weakest link in the O-Line is better than those we have replaced him with in his absence. Of course this does not take into account the recent poor play of Flozell and his own injury.

Now does that mean when Romo, Kosier and Felix are healthy and Roy in that the Offense will start picking it up again? Who knows...but it is something that has to be considered.

However that does not mean the defense will improve...maybe they continue to play crappy or maybe they play like they did against the bucs...another one of those who knows situations.

You just never know with this team anymore. But I would think if Romo is healthy there have been open WRs with brad playing but he would just miss them. What we have to wonder is how fast Romo can get back into the rhythm of things and how long it would take him and Roy to get on the same page.

Time will tell I guess, one thing is clear though...there will be no more eating of the cheese or just showing up to a game thinking it is an automatic win. They are now in a position where every game should be considered a dog fight and if they still don't show up then it is on them.

The defense can be greatly aided by the offense and STs. We're a different club with some defenders back. Spencer being healthy cannot be understated as well as having TNew and perhaps AJ back. That's a different D to hit the field.

CoCo

Reaction score
I suspect what Moose, and apparently Aikman too, is saying is "show me."

I have no problem with that. Its my basic feeling as well.

Its true that our problems are not all because Romo's been out. Yes, there was a scary trend starting with Cincy & AZ. So it will certainly take more than just trotting Romo back onto the field or even adding Roy at WR.

But the team's recent poor play is not necessarily any more permanent than their good play when we went 3-0. Its up to the players and coaches to reverse the trend. I absolutely believe it can be done.

Will they? That's the multi-million dollar question.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
"They've got to win five of those final seven, so there is no margin of error for them."

Sorry, Moose, but needing to win five of seven means there IS a margin for error.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
One thing for sure...Whether Tony, Felix, Newman, or Kosier or not...if we do not start playing with the same intensity as our opponents Moose be will spot on....we will not make the playoffs.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Eh, whats Moose know. He came from a great team who worked hard and knew what it took to be Multi SB champs.:D

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Hostile;2405706 said:

Johnston, who lives in Dallas, says the city has turned on its beloved Cowboys. "It's unbelievable. The reversal in the atmosphere of the town from the end of September to the end of October is unbelievable," Johnston told the New York Post. "You had people packing their bags for Tampa (site of Super Bowl XLIII) at the end of September and now they're canceling their reservations at the end of October. It's typical rats off the ship."

Rats off the ship:lmao2: