More then meets the eye?

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Coverage in Disguise?

Was it me or did the back end of our defense make more of a concerted effort to disguise their coverage?

During presnap I saw a lot of movement. Even though we had some zone gaffs, it was refreshing to see us move and keep the QB guessing. Hopefully we will do more; if executed correctly this will help improve our interceptions, your thoughts?

goliadmike

reader of rue
Reaction score
I noticed that during the game. They also did the same thing in GB where the CB would line up about seven yards deep and then creep toward the line of scrimmage. they would also creep up and then back off. I didn't notice them doing that against the Skins.

I'm not going to complaint about playing the zone, but the secondary seems to have communication issues. We all saw them pointing to each other just before the two touchdowns when the Bengal ran trips left and blew the coverage, but the problems I see in the zone is passing the receivers off from one zone to the other. The other problem I see and this was especially evident against the Skins was the CB losing sight of the WR while they kept an eye in the offenses backfield. It seemed the Skin WR knew exactly when to make their move and our CB had no idea where the receiver was once the throw left Campbell's hands.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
I would like to thank you for pretty much guarantying I am gonna be singing the transformers theme song all week.

thanks alot

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The coverage looked a lot different yesterday. They were playing more press and at least walking up to line more. Pacman seems much better at tight coverage and is in better position to play the ball. They got confused and beat with the zone coverage in the red zone, but overall seemed improved. Newman will help once heathly.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
I was pleased to see that we were lining up at times within 3 yards of the receiver.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Once we improve on disguising our linebackers' zone coverage in the middle of the field, we'll see some more picks by taking away those crossing routes which have been both troublesome and WIDE open. However, I doubt that Phillips and Stewart will even emphasize improving in this area if we can't get increased pressure off the ends or more consistent play from the defensive line.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
goliadmike;2313235 said:
I noticed that during the game. They also did the same thing in GB where the CB would line up about seven yards deep and then creep toward the line of scrimmage. they would also creep up and then back off. I didn't notice them doing that against the Skins.

I'm not going to complaint about playing the zone, but the secondary seems to have communication issues. We all saw them pointing to each other just before the two touchdowns when the Bengal ran trips left and blew the coverage, but the problems I see in the zone is passing the receivers off from one zone to the other. The other problem I see and this was especially evident against the Skins was the CB losing sight of the WR while they kept an eye in the offenses backfield. It seemed the Skin WR knew exactly when to make their move and our CB had no idea where the receiver was once the throw left Campbell's hands.

Good points.

It is very difficult to zone up trips. If you know it is coming, it is good to play a combo coverage while showing zone, so you can bait the QB into a bad throw. Yesterday they flooded us and typical to the coverage we got caught in no man's land, hence who'syourmomma's score.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
stealth;2313242 said:
I would like to thank you for pretty much guarantying I am gonna be singing the transformers theme song all week.

thanks alot

Glad that I could oblige ya. :)

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
adbutcher;2313371 said:
Glad that I could oblige ya. :)

It's better than what D.Ware did to me. I got caught singing " head, shoulders, knees and toes" in walmart by a chick.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
DallasEast;2313319 said:
Once we improve on disguising our linebackers' zone coverage in the middle of the field, we'll see some more picks by taking away those crossing routes which have been both troublesome and WIDE open. However, I doubt that Phillips and Stewart will even emphasize improving in this area if we can't get increased pressure off the ends or more consistent play from the defensive line.

I agree.

Another disturbing trend that I would like to see corrected is our lack of twists, games, and slants in obvious passing downs. Didn't this use to be a staple of Wade's 3-4?

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
stealth;2313377 said:
It's better than what D.Ware did to me. I got caught singing " head, shoulders, knees and toes" in walmart by a chick.

Thank you, now that will be stuck in my head for the rest of today.:bang2:

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I do believe our defense was trying to look Zone then slip into a man-to-man.......Jones especially pressed his man quite a bit...and I like that the most.

goliadmike

reader of rue
Reaction score
adbutcher;2313368 said:
Good points.

It is very difficult to zone up trips. If you know it is coming, it is good to play a combo coverage while showing zone, so you can bait the QB into a bad throw. Yesterday they flooded us and typical to the coverage we got caught in no man's land, hence who'syourmomma's score.

I agree I am a fan of playing zone inside the twenty but after the first mishap they definitely should have regrouped on the sidelines and at least audibled into a man coverage.