News: More To Robert Quinn’s Game Than Just Pass Rush

CCBoy

Reaction score
More To Robert Quinn’s Game Than Just Pass Rush
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/more-to-robert-quinn-s-game-than-just-pass-rush

How He Got Here: This is Quinn’s third NFL team since 2018, traded each of the last two offseasons due in large part to scheme fit. A Pro Bowl-caliber defensive end with the Rams from 2011-17, Quinn was traded to the Dolphins last spring after Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips converted him to outside linebacker in his 3-4 system. Quinn posted 6.5 sacks in Miami last season, but once again, an expected scheme change this year under new Dolphins head coach Brian Flores spurred trade talks. The Dolphins gave Quinn permission to speak with interested teams, and in March the Cowboys traded a 2020 sixth-round pick for the 29-year-old pass rusher. Now he’s back in a setting where he’s most comfortable: rushing with his hand on the ground in a 4-3 system.

Bet You Didn’t Know: Quinn is one of only 19 players in NFL history to record at least 19.0 sacks in a single season since the league made sacks an official statistic in 1982. He posted 19.0 in 2013, his third season with the Rams, and was named NFL Defensive Player of the Year by the Pro Football Writers of America (PFWA).

Quotable: “I’m just really impressed with his work habits here. He’s a real pro, comes to work here every day: effort, details, doesn’t say much. And I’m telling you what, he’s going to be a good run defender just like D-Law (DeMarcus Lawrence). We’ve got lizards over there -- racing lizards who play the run.” -Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli...

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I really like this move and think that its underrated, I think he will be better than Gregory in run support and will be just as good rushing the passer.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I really like this move and think that its underrated, I think he will be better than Gregory in run support and will be just as good rushing the passer.

Same. In my opinion Dallas made some really good and really underrated player acquisitions at DL.

Even with Irving gone and Gregory a question mark, the additions of Hill, Hyder, Covington, and Quinn, along with retaining DLaw, make this the best DL on paper that we've had since DWare's prime.

jrumann59

Reaction score
just wished they were able to sign him to multiyear deal. I think he will solidify the RDE position. I am not talking like D-Ware stats but consistency in the 8-12 sack range.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the addition of Quinn, I think they can have a pair of bookend DE's with Tank.

It could be interesting in TC for playing time with the DE. Can Armstrong step up, as he showed signs last season that he will improve.
So if Gregory is able to play this season, what DE goes depending on how they all look. Taco or Armstrong, or what if Hyder has not recovered to his 2016 form. Or do they even keep Gregory and just move on from him.

I know many fans want to move on from Gregory, as he can't be 100% trusted. But the FO sees him as a very talented player still.
But until he is allowed back on the field, I guess that doesn't matter. Just focus on what seems to be a talented DL, or could be if they all work out.