Mort: "Carson Wentz is shockingly ahead of schedule"

1nfljunky

Reaction score
You guys have to start paying some contracts soon though don't you? The Eagles are in cap hell aren't they? Or did they find a way to work that out?
What has that got to do with this year? And here’s a little heads up, watch how many draft picks the Eagles will have over the next two years. They have 4 in the first 100 picks already next year.
They know they have to pay Wentz in the next three years. They are getting ready to turn over their roster. Do you doubt their ability to do it well? I don’t.

1nfljunky

Reaction score
Never buy these headlines.

Player X is shockingly ahead of schedule from devastating knee injury?

Not that I wish voodoo on him, but I don't buy these tropes. What are your other favorites?

Veteran X states he is in "the best shape of his life."
Well, there is film, or don’t you trust your lying eyes?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Even if he does start week one, with this type of injury it's only natural for him to tread softly and favor his knee........RGIII never did mentally recover.

Ah yes, the mental aspect. Of course RGIII also dislocated his ankle the next year, and while re-habbing that Cousins played well, so RGIII was released. Not sure he ever got a chance to play much again and "get over it (the injury)...

Lutonio

Reaction score
Well, there is film, or don’t you trust your lying eyes?

Well I didn't buy the Commanders trying to peddle me jumping jacks either.

I'm just saying I've seen enough of these headlines during slow off season months littered with non-statements and coach speak across the NFL that make me roll my eyes.

The one and only time I've ever seen it not be a cliche was Adrian Peterson and his mutant healing.

1nfljunky

Reaction score
Well I didn't buy the Commanders trying to peddle me jumping jacks either.

I'm just saying I've seen enough of these headlines during slow off season months littered with non-statements and coach speak across the NFL that make me roll my eyes.

The one and only time I've ever seen it not be a cliche was Adrian Peterson and his mutant healing.
Maybe you haven’t, but I’ve seen not just his on the field workouts but his off the field workouts. The reports are real. He is doing every drill the other QBs are doing. And he is doing them better than some of them.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Here's a recent article regarding how players have returned from acl injuries:

"Not too long ago, there was only one relevant question for a football player with a torn ACL: Where's the retirement party?

There were no surgical options such as the one David Fleming detailed in this week's ESPN.com Hot Read. No one got to choose between a cadaver's ligament or an internal replacement. There were no elite rehabilitation centers.

We present the All-ACL offensive team below. Click here for the All-ACL defensive team.

ESPN.com's All-ACL Team: Offense

i
i

QB: Tom Brady

Injury date: Week 1, 2008 Return date: Week 1, 2009

Key before/after facts:
Brady has become more efficient since the injury, with a touchdown/interception ratio of 3.51, compared to 2.29 before. He also has been more than three times as harried, pressured on 18.6 percent of his dropbacks, compared to 5.2.

RB: Jamaal Charles

Injury date: Week 2, 2011 Return date: Week 1, 2012

Key before/after facts: Charles' yards per carry dropped from 6.1 before the injury to 5.2. But he actually is averaging more explosive runs per game -- 12 yards or more -- since the injury (1.7) than before (1.2).

WR: Jeremy Maclin

Injury date: Preseason, 2013 Return date: Week 1, 2014

Key before/after facts: In a small sample and in a new scheme, Maclin has been more explosive after his injury. He is averaging 16.1 yards per catch and 0.9 touchdowns per game since the injury (13.38 and 0.4 before, respectively). Also, his drop percentage has lowered from 3.4 to 1.0.

WR: Reggie Wayne

Injury date: Week 7, 2013 Return date: Week 1, 2014

Key before/after facts: In the nine games since returning, Wayne has been just as productive (5.22 receptions per game, compared to 5.13) and nearly as explosive. He's averaging 12.7 yards per catch, compared to 13.5 before the injury, and is still getting downfield. The average air yards of passes thrown his way is 10.1 compared to 11.5.

WR: Donnie Avery

Injury date: Preseason, 2010 Return date: Week 4, 2011

Key before/after facts: Avery is averaging fewer receptions per game after the injury (2.7, compared to 3.2) and less yards after the catch (3.7, compared to 4.2) but is producing slightly more per reception (13.4 yards, compared to 12.6).

TE: Rob Gronkowski

Injury date: Week 14, 2013 Return date: Week 1, 2014

Key before/after facts: Since returning, Gronkowski has a higher touchdown rate (0.9 per game, compared to 0.84 before). He's averaging slightly fewer yards after the catch (5.64, compared to 5.90), but is averaging more yards after contact (3.19) than he was prior (2.40).

Honorable mention: Heath Miller, Steelers.

LT: Joe Thomas

Injury date: Bowl game, January 2006 (college)
Return date: Week 1, 2006 (college)

Key before/after facts: Thomas didn't miss a game after suffering the injury, maintaining his status as an elite NFL prospect. He was selected No. 3 overall by the Browns in the 2007 draft and has gone on to seven Pro Bowls. He is a four-time All-Pro at the position.

LG: James Carpenter

Injury date: Week 11, 2011 Return date: Week 4, 2012

Key before/after facts: Carpenter was injured in his rookie season. Since then, he has started 31 of a possible 35 games. He was PFF's 65th-ranked guard in 2013 but has elevated to No. 22 this season.

Honorable mention: Logan Mankins, Buccaneers.

RG: Marshal Yanda

Injury date: Week 5, 2008 Return date: Week 1, 2009

Key before/after facts: After returning from the injury, Yanda made himself into a three-time All-Pro (2011-13). PFF rates him the best guard in the NFL this season.

C:Maurkice Pouncey

Injury date: Week 1, 2013 Return date: Week 1, 2014

Key before/after facts: Pouncey has started all 11 games since returning from the injury. PFF rates him its seventh-best center in 2014. He was No. 12 in 2012 and No. 20 in 2011.

Honorable mention: Jason Kelce, Eagles; Kory Lichtensteiger, Commanders.

RG:
Marshal Yanda

Key before/after facts: After returning from the injury, Yanda made himself into a three-time All-Pro (2011-13). PFF rates him the best guard in the NFL this season."

Wentz could return just as good as before, it's not that unusual...

Reactions: C42

1nfljunky

Reaction score
Here's a recent article regarding how players have returned from acl injuries:

"Not too long ago, there was only one relevant question for a football player with a torn ACL: Where's the retirement party?

There were no surgical options such as the one David Fleming detailed in this week's ESPN.com Hot Read. No one got to choose between a cadaver's ligament or an internal replacement. There were no elite rehabilitation centers.

We present the All-ACL offensive team below. Click here for the All-ACL defensive team.

ESPN.com's All-ACL Team: Offense

i
i

QB: Tom Brady

Injury date: Week 1, 2008 Return date: Week 1, 2009

Key before/after facts:
Brady has become more efficient since the injury, with a touchdown/interception ratio of 3.51, compared to 2.29 before. He also has been more than three times as harried, pressured on 18.6 percent of his dropbacks, compared to 5.2.

RB: Jamaal Charles

Injury date: Week 2, 2011 Return date: Week 1, 2012

Key before/after facts: Charles' yards per carry dropped from 6.1 before the injury to 5.2. But he actually is averaging more explosive runs per game -- 12 yards or more -- since the injury (1.7) than before (1.2).

WR: Jeremy Maclin

Injury date: Preseason, 2013 Return date: Week 1, 2014

Key before/after facts: In a small sample and in a new scheme, Maclin has been more explosive after his injury. He is averaging 16.1 yards per catch and 0.9 touchdowns per game since the injury (13.38 and 0.4 before, respectively). Also, his drop percentage has lowered from 3.4 to 1.0.

WR: Reggie Wayne

Injury date: Week 7, 2013 Return date: Week 1, 2014

Key before/after facts: In the nine games since returning, Wayne has been just as productive (5.22 receptions per game, compared to 5.13) and nearly as explosive. He's averaging 12.7 yards per catch, compared to 13.5 before the injury, and is still getting downfield. The average air yards of passes thrown his way is 10.1 compared to 11.5.

WR: Donnie Avery

Injury date: Preseason, 2010 Return date: Week 4, 2011

Key before/after facts: Avery is averaging fewer receptions per game after the injury (2.7, compared to 3.2) and less yards after the catch (3.7, compared to 4.2) but is producing slightly more per reception (13.4 yards, compared to 12.6).

TE: Rob Gronkowski

Injury date: Week 14, 2013 Return date: Week 1, 2014

Key before/after facts: Since returning, Gronkowski has a higher touchdown rate (0.9 per game, compared to 0.84 before). He's averaging slightly fewer yards after the catch (5.64, compared to 5.90), but is averaging more yards after contact (3.19) than he was prior (2.40).

Honorable mention: Heath Miller, Steelers.

LT: Joe Thomas

Injury date: Bowl game, January 2006 (college)
Return date: Week 1, 2006 (college)

Key before/after facts: Thomas didn't miss a game after suffering the injury, maintaining his status as an elite NFL prospect. He was selected No. 3 overall by the Browns in the 2007 draft and has gone on to seven Pro Bowls. He is a four-time All-Pro at the position.

LG: James Carpenter

Injury date: Week 11, 2011 Return date: Week 4, 2012

Key before/after facts: Carpenter was injured in his rookie season. Since then, he has started 31 of a possible 35 games. He was PFF's 65th-ranked guard in 2013 but has elevated to No. 22 this season.

Honorable mention: Logan Mankins, Buccaneers.

RG: Marshal Yanda

Key before/after facts: After returning from the injury, Yanda made himself into a three-time All-Pro (2011-13). PFF rates him the best guard in the NFL this season.

C:Maurkice Pouncey

Injury date: Week 1, 2013 Return date: Week 1, 2014

Key before/after facts: Pouncey has started all 11 games since returning from the injury. PFF rates him its seventh-best center in 2014. He was No. 12 in 2012 and No. 20 in 2011.

Honorable mention: Jason Kelce, Eagles; Kory Lichtensteiger, Commanders.

RG:
Marshal Yanda

Key before/after facts: After returning from the injury, Yanda made himself into a three-time All-Pro (2011-13). PFF rates him the best guard in the NFL this season."

Wentz could return just as good as before, it's not that unusual...
LMAO. Let them believe whatever they’d like. I love it when they have to scramble to find another straw man argument.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
What has that got to do with this year? And here’s a little heads up, watch how many draft picks the Eagles will have over the next two years. They have 4 in the first 100 picks already next year.
They know they have to pay Wentz in the next three years. They are getting ready to turn over their roster. Do you doubt their ability to do it well? I don’t.
LOL One successful season and the Buzzards are all of a sudden the Patriots??? Last year was the first one in a long time they've ever accomplished anything. No, it won't last.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
At least
The season is coming.

Yessir! We won't have to speculate then. I'm perfectly willing to believe Wentz might be very or somewhat limited come the season opener, but just as willing to believe he won't...

1nfljunky

Reaction score
LOL One successful season and the Buzzards are all of a sudden the Patriots??? Last year was the first one in a long time they've ever accomplished anything. No, it won't last.
If you think last season hurt your feelings just wait.....lol

1nfljunky

Reaction score
At least

Yessir! We won't have to speculate then. I'm perfectly willing to believe Wentz might be very or somewhat limited come the season opener, but just as willing to believe he won't...
If he is not a full go he won’t be out there. Based on what I’ve seen and read, He’ll be out there with zero limitations physically.

mcmvp

Reaction score
At least

And that’s fair. It will be a process for him...physically and mentally. Time will tell how he does. My only problem is with the ones saying “he’ll never be the same” or “he’s done”. They just say that because they wish it to be true.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
And that’s fair. It will be a process for him...physically and mentally. Time will tell how he does. My only problem is with the ones saying “he’ll never be the same” or “he’s done”. They just say that because they wish it to be true.

And they've got a 50-50 chance to be right...

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Most likely will be true due to NFL players in the past with the same injury, reinjured issues. He'll never be the same not just because of injury but a much tougher schedule as well. A combination of both will be tough to overcome.

His days of smiling are gone. Won't be long b4 he's injured again. This isn't Wentz' team, it's Foles.

Wentz has yet to feel the pressure of the Post Season. And with that bullseye on his leg, he won't be experiencing it anytime soon. Won't be long before he hears the Boo's.

Last edited: