Most Overused Sports Cliches (Some about the Cowboys)

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m old enough to remember back in 1978 when NFL Films dubbed the Cowboys “America’s Team”. Tom Landry hated it, but Tex Schramm loved it. It was accurate then- the Cowboys were clearly the most popular football team in America.

But 43 years later, IMO, it’s not only a tired moniker, I’m not sure it’s still accurate. But that led me to think about some other tired and overused quotes that are commonly said about the Dallas Cowboy and sports in general that are either used too often or just flat goofy.

Here are a few I came up with in no particular order of importance:
  • “America’s Team”
  • “War Daddy”
  • “Cover corner”
  • “Possession receiver”
  • “Who’s going to step up?” (When an injury happens to an important player)
  • “_____ is in the best shape of his life.” (Said every year about some player- true or not)
  • “_____ is having a great camp.” (Said every year about some spare who will either not make the team or never play much)
  • “Hot Boyz” (yuck)
So what are some other tired old cliches we hear too often? Seems like every offseason is full of old cliches.
What say you?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I’m old enough to remember back in 1978 when NFL Films dubbed the Cowboys “America’s Team”. Tom Landry hated it, but Tex Schramm loved it. It was accurate then- the Cowboys were clearly the most popular football team in America.

But 43 years later, IMO, it’s not only a tired moniker, I’m not sure it’s still accurate. But that led me to think about some other tired and overused quotes that are commonly said about the Dallas Cowboy and sports in general that are either used too often or just flat goofy.

Here are a few I came up with in no particular order of importance:
  • “America’s Team”
  • “War Daddy”
  • “Cover corner”
  • “Possession receiver”
  • “Who’s going to step up?” (When an injury happens to an important player)
  • “_____ is in the best shape of his life.” (Said every year about some player- true or not)
  • “_____ is having a great camp.” (Said every year about some spare who will either not make the team or never play much)
  • “Hot Boyz” (yuck)
So what are some other tired old cliches we hear too often? Seems like every offseason is full of old cliches.
What say you?
I don't know, but "Hot Boyz" is by far the worst of the bunch.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I wonder if the general lee boys would get the same level of hate the hot boyzz do. I don’t get being upset by something so insignificant.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Hot boyz just sounds stupid. So does general Lee boys (and what?). A nickname should be relevant and relate to what you are doing.

And the Cowboys still are America's Team. Most valuable and almost always bring the highest ratings. Most of the people who say we aren't are fans of other teams.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hot boyz just sounds stupid. So does general Lee boys (and what?). A nickname should be relevant and relate to what you are doing.

And the Cowboys still are America's Team. Most valuable and almost always bring the highest ratings. The only people who say we aren't are fans of other teams.
All good sports nicknames are earned and given by someone other than the player(s) who use them.

And the Cowboys still are America's Team. Most valuable and almost always bring the highest ratings. The only people who say we aren't are fans of other teams.
For the record, I’m a lifelong Cowboys fan who has the opinion that we are no longer as popular we used to be- not America’s team. Doesn’t mean I’m a fan of any other team.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
All good sports nicknames are earned and given by someone other than the player(s) who use them.

For the record, I’m a lifelong Cowboys fan who has the opinion that we are no longer as popular we used to be- not America’s team. Doesn’t mean I’m a fan of any other team.
Post edited.