Most Overused Sports Cliches (Some about the Cowboys)

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I’m old enough to remember back in 1978 when NFL Films dubbed the Cowboys “America’s Team”. Tom Landry hated it, but Tex Schramm loved it. It was accurate then- the Cowboys were clearly the most popular football team in America.

But 43 years later, IMO, it’s not only a tired moniker, I’m not sure it’s still accurate. But that led me to think about some other tired and overused quotes that are commonly said about the Dallas Cowboy and sports in general that are either used too often or just flat goofy.

Here are a few I came up with in no particular order of importance:
  • “America’s Team”
  • “War Daddy”
  • “Cover corner”
  • “Possession receiver”
  • “Who’s going to step up?” (When an injury happens to an important player)
  • “_____ is in the best shape of his life.” (Said every year about some player- true or not)
  • “_____ is having a great camp.” (Said every year about some spare who will either not make the team or never play much)
  • “Hot Boyz” (yuck)
So what are some other tired old cliches we hear too often? Seems like every offseason is full of old cliches.
What say you?

...a "shutdown corner". Never heard that term before Deion now every team is supposed to have one?
...a "franchise QB". Don't know if Staubach was one or not because the term hadn't been invented yet. The same is true for "number one receiver" and Drew Pearson.

And the mother of them all....he's "overrated". Where is he rated? By whom? I never see these ratings that, apparently, determine if a guy is overrated (or underrated).

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I’m old enough to remember back in 1978 when NFL Films dubbed the Cowboys “America’s Team”. Tom Landry hated it, but Tex Schramm loved it. It was accurate then- the Cowboys were clearly the most popular football team in America.

But 43 years later, IMO, it’s not only a tired moniker, I’m not sure it’s still accurate. But that led me to think about some other tired and overused quotes that are commonly said about the Dallas Cowboy and sports in general that are either used too often or just flat goofy.

• “America’s Team”
  • “War Daddy”
  • “Cover corner”
  • “Possession receiver”
  • “_____ is in the best shape of his life.” (Said every year about some player- true or not)
  • “_____ is having a great camp.” (Said every year about some spare who will either not make the team or never play much)
  • “Hot Boyz” (yuck)
So what are some other tired old cliches we hear too often? Seems like every offseason is full of old cliches.
What say you?
Back back back..its outta here!

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

• “America’s Team”
  • “War Daddy”
  • “Cover corner”
  • “Possession receiver”
  • “Hot Boyz” (yuck)
What say you?
He's a phenome..

Generational talent

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Cowboys still enjoy a ton of fans at road games. They annually take in the most money by fans. Their attendance record at home is the highest in the league every year. The Networks know they draw the ratings. How are they not still America's team, @Bobhaze?

Now for some cliches...

He gave 110%

Take it one game at a time

On any given Sunday

These guys came to play

Defense wins Championships.

Must-win game
"Must win game" is a huge one. More often than not, they can lose that game and still mathematically make the playoffs.

Verdict

Reaction score
Bend but don’t break
Quick twitch
Rushmen
Annointing oil
Kick the tires
Something left in the tank
If he is so good why is he available

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

• “America’s Team”
  • “War Daddy”
  • “Cover corner”
  • “Possession receiver”
  • “Hot Boyz” (yuck)
What say you?
Garrett Sucks!!! will never get old......

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Hot boyz just sounds stupid. So does general Lee boys (and what?). A nickname should be relevant and relate to what you are doing.

And the Cowboys still are America's Team. Most valuable and almost always bring the highest ratings. Most of the people who say we aren't are fans of other teams.
Agree the Hot Boyz sounds stupid, not only that but it's been a long time since we've had a defense you could call "hot". LOL