News: MSN: Jerry Looking to Make Big Splash in Draft

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While it would not be a surprise if the Cowboys moved up in the draft, the biggest splashes they could make are with their impending free agents. Quarterback Dak Prescott is still looking for a long-term deal from the team, and wideout Amari Cooper could end up with another team if Dallas is unwilling to shell out big money.
Kind of a blah blah blah article. Strange timing with the draft still 10 weeks away. It feels like an article that should come after FA has started and around April 1st about 3-4 weeks before the draft. I agree with the above that Dak and Cooper will probably be the big splashes.

Overall I don't understand why the Cowboys feel they need to make a big splash in the draft. There is a new HC and lots of buzz about how the team will be better next year already. Just be smart in the draft and get ready for OTA's.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Agree! Though when they moved up to get Mo I honestly thought he would be worth it and was a lock down stud. I'll take the hit on that completely.

I am also guilty of that.....................All the projections I read about him before the draft had him rated as a sure thing and he was the Jim Thorpe Award in 2011 as the best defensive back in the country and was unanimously recognized as an All-American.

Here is a pre-draft review : For a likely top five pick, it's incredible that Claiborne could be overshadowed by fellow cornerbacks Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu. As a pure cover corner, though, Claiborne is better than both.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I see you're still multi-orgasmic over your fat mike moniker. have you registered the idea yet.
We’re watching closely how Idiot Son has taken over. Lol

cowboysbag.jpg.cf.jpg

Diehardblues

Reaction score
that laugh sounded rather muffled. as if you had something over your face. couple of pillows?
You guys think you’re really going to rattle me with all I’ve been through . Right

Gonna be a fun year

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He gave up a first and a second to get Claiborne.

way less than what it would take to get into the top 5 to take a CB this draft.
I wouldn't even call it fair to say he "gave up" a first and second because that leaves a deceptive impression. Really he gave up a second, and swapped firsts so he could draft Claiborne with a higher first than he had.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Unless a top 5 player falls well out of the top 5, not the year to trade away your draft with many holes to fill with pending free agents. It would be one thing to move up a few spots to secure your player, but anymore would be foolish this year.

Depending how the draft unfolds and who's available at 17, it would be nice to trade back 4 or 5 spots and get an extra 3rd rounder. Then build up the D.

Round 1: DB or DT
Round 2: DT or DB
Round 3: DB #2
Round 3: TE or DL
Round 4: LB

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Unless a top 5 player falls well out of the top 5, not the year to trade away your draft with many holes to fill with pending free agents. It would be one thing to move up a few spots to secure your player, but anymore would be foolish this year.

Depending how the draft unfolds and who's available at 17, it would be nice to trade back 4 or 5 spots and get an extra 3rd rounder. Then build up the D.

Round 1: DB or DT
Round 2: DT or DB
Round 3: DB #2
Round 3: TE or DL
Round 4: LB
and it’s a deep draft at a few positions. Trading picks away isn’t ideal.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wouldn't even call it fair to say he "gave up" a first and second because that leaves a deceptive impression. Really he gave up a second, and swapped firsts so he could draft Claiborne with a higher first than he had.
Right. It might not have been as bad of pick if Mo had been a stud CB.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jerry trying to make a splash...next thing you know, they'll be telling us that the Pope is Catholic.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Nothing to see here folks.

Same is said for Jerry almost every year. Peterson, Donald to name a few we were rumored up to get.

Exactly. This is moronic. Do people think Jerry would say he hopes to screw the draft up? This old drunk needs to just go away.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
These kinds of stories pop up all over the NFL. It's the media trying to find something to catch the eye of the reader at a point in the year where very little is happening.

Of course, Jerry doesn't mind that. He pretty much believes that any publicity is good publicity. Of course, there are exceptions, but for the most part as long as the media helps keep the attention of the fans on the Cowboys, he is okay with it.

There's not one attributable quote from Jerry or anyone in the Cowboys organization. This is just a pre-ignite-the-draft-rumors story.