Musical artists you've gotten grief over for liking or disliking

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
We all have different taste in music, and that's fine. Life would be boring if we all liked the same stuff. Post artists who you've gotten grief over either for liking or disliking. Here are mine.

Got grief for liking:
Kiss -- I love them for their music. Their stage shows and theatrics were way cool too, but for me it was always about the music.
Tiffany -- Some people disliked her, but I really thought she had a powerful set of pipes and could belt out a tune. Gonna see her perform tonight in Omaha.
Abba -- I was always surprised by people disliking Abba. I thought they had a unique and amazing sound from their complex vocal harmonies.

Got grief for disliking:
Pink Floyd
The Doors
-- I'm not saying these two bands are not talented. Clearly they are. They just don't jive with my personal taste. I dislike them both for the same reason: Their music creeps me out.

Okay, your turn. Remember, it's okay to like something that others don't or to dislike something that's popular. Whatever works for you is cool.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I like a couple of songs from Creed and even Nickleback. I don't give a flying you know what about what anyone thinks about them or me liking some of their songs.

People say Iron Maiden's Seventh Son of a Seventh Son album is too synthesized. I couldn't get one rats rear-end. It's music no matter how it was made and I like it a lot.

As I said in a recent post. The only opinion that matters to me is my own. Even though you hate the Star Trek reboot and Discovery. Hell, if that's what you dislike. By all means. That's what is great about not worrying about what others think. Take what makes you happy and move on from what doesn't be damned what anyone else thinks!

Last edited:

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I like a couple of songs from Creed and even Nickleback. I don't give a flying you know what about what anyone thinks about them or me liking some of their songs.

People say Iron Maiden's Seventh Song of a Seventh album is too synthesized. I couldn't get one rats rear-end. It's music no matter how it was made and I like it a lot.

As I said in a recent post. The only opinion that matters to me is my own. Even though you hate the Star Trek reboot and Discovery. Hell, if that's what you dislike. By all means. That's what is great about not worrying about what others think. Take what makes you happy and move on from what doesn't be damned what anyone else thinks!

Exactly. If you like ST reboot films and ST Discovery, by all means enjoy them. I would never tell you what you should or should not enjoy. I like Seth McFarlane's show The Orville, but some people hated it. It was really bizarre in junior high and high school the way some kids would really hate you over musical taste.

aria

Reaction score
Depending on who I’m talking too I’ve caught grief for liking bands like Rotting Christ, Deicide, Slayer, Decapitated, Dying Fetus, etc...the heavier stuff. I’ve also caught grief for liking Adele and was probably the only male at the concert who had to drag their wife there, lol.

Caught grief for NOT liking Lame of God, Bad Wolves, Janis Joplin, The Beatles and I’m sure there’s several others.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Depending on who I’m talking too I’ve caught grief for liking bands like Rotting Christ, Deicide, Slayer, Decapitated, Dying Fetus, etc...the heavier stuff. I’ve also caught grief for liking Adele and was probably the only male at the concert who had to drag their wife there, lol.

Caught grief for NOT liking Lame of God, Bad Wolves, Janis Joplin, The Beatles and I’m sure there’s several others.
You like Adele? OMG!! What is wrong with you! :laugh::lmao::lmao2:

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
We all have different taste in music, and that's fine. Life would be boring if we all liked the same stuff. Post artists who you've gotten grief over either for liking or disliking. Here are mine.

Got grief for liking:
Kiss -- I love them for their music. Their stage shows and theatrics were way cool too, but for me it was always about the music.
Tiffany -- Some people disliked her, but I really thought she had a powerful set of pipes and could belt out a tune. Gonna see her perform tonight in Omaha.
Abba -- I was always surprised by people disliking Abba. I thought they had a unique and amazing sound from their complex vocal harmonies.

Got grief for disliking:
Pink Floyd
The Doors
-- I'm not saying these two bands are not talented. Clearly they are. They just don't jive with my personal taste. I dislike them both for the same reason: Their music creeps me out.

Okay, your turn. Remember, it's okay to like something that others don't or to dislike something that's popular. Whatever works for you is cool.

Doors music creeps you out? What songs per say are creepy, curious. Weird. But Kiss with their look isn't as creepy to you. Strange.

I myself listen to almost anything besides rap, heavy metal, and boring Beyonce type pop.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Doors music creeps you out? What songs per say are creepy, curious. Weird. But Kiss with their look isn't as creepy to you. Strange.

I myself listen to almost anything besides rap, heavy metal, and boring Beyonce type pop.

Definitely that "Riders on the Storm" song gives me the creeps, as do some others that I don't know the names of. Then Pink Floyd's The Wall really creeps me out. It may be strange that Kiss doesn't weird me out, but they don't. For some reason with them, their bizarre looks and theatrics just seem cool to me and not creepy.

I used to hate all rap, but I've developed a taste for a select few rap songs, and I love the Youtube vids Epic Rap Battles in History. I find them hilarious and creative. But then there's a ton of rap I can't stand. I'd say I like less than one percent of rap.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I get grief for liking old R&B from friends. I'll be listening to Sam Cooke, Chuck Berry, or Fats Domino and I always get told to change the music that it's boring and sounds like elevator music. My wife gives me grief for listening to the Beastie Boys and Butthole Surfers. She says that she can't understand how somebody who listens to Cooke, Berry, and Domino could possibly like the B Boys and Buttholes.

Some of the bands I get grief for not liking are: Queen, I hate anything theatrical where the performance way out trumps the musician. Kiss would fall in that same line for me as a bunch of guys who put on a nice show, but couldn't play their way out of a paper sack.

Lastly I have my hate bands. These bands I not only hate, but I also hate those of you who enjoy them. Nickelback, Creed, John Mayer, U2, Dave Mathews, Maroon 5, The Jonas Brothers, and pretty much all hair bands including Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Judas Priest, and Dio. I've got enough hate to keep me warm in the winters.

Hardline

Reaction score
I get grief for liking Black Metal and Symphonic metal
90% of the music I listen to is very out of the mainstream ,In fact if I listed my top 10 favorite bands most of you would've never heard of them.

Grief for not liking tractor rap .pop country.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I get grief for liking old R&B from friends. I'll be listening to Sam Cooke, Chuck Berry, or Fats Domino and I always get told to change the music that it's boring and sounds like elevator music. My wife gives me grief for listening to the Beastie Boys and Butthole Surfers. She says that she can't understand how somebody who listens to Cooke, Berry, and Domino could possibly like the B Boys and Buttholes.

Some of the bands I get grief for not liking are: Queen, I hate anything theatrical where the performance way out trumps the musician. Kiss would fall in that same line for me as a bunch of guys who put on a nice show, but couldn't play their way out of a paper sack.

Lastly I have my hate bands. These bands I not only hate, but I also hate those of you who enjoy them. Nickelback, Creed, John Mayer, U2, Dave Mathews, Maroon 5, The Jonas Brothers, and pretty much all hair bands including Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Judas Priest, and Dio. I've got enough hate to keep me warm in the winters.

I get grief for not worshiping Queen. I don't even hate them. They're just not at the top of my list. I think they're musically brilliant, but their lyrics actually annoy me, especially that song about the bicycle. And that song with "mama, I killed a man" has lyrics that IMO sound idiotic. I think Freddy Mercury was a good singer, but he should have left the lyric writing to someone else. Of course, I don't expect everyone to have the same perspective as I do. If they love his lyrics, that's fine with me. But, man, I've caught some grief for not loving everything about Freddy Mercury. Okay, whatever. If that upsets people, it's not my problem. It's not my job in life to tiptoe around everything that might trigger someone. I can't imagine why it would ruin someone's day just if I don't like some lyrics that they think are great.

I would have to agree with you on Maroon 5, the Jonas Brothers, and U2. Everything about these artists makes me gag. It's a mystery to me why anyone would pay money to hear them, but, hey, to each his own, I guess.

OMG, I can't believe I forgot to mention the artist I HATE more than any other: James Blunt. It blows my mind that anyone likes his music. Yelch.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Jim's basically saying we are all Riders on the Storm. Because as we know, the end is always near.

Watch this.

Somehow it just doesn't appeal to me. I actually believe that Jim Morrison had talent. I just couldn't enjoy his music because it always weirded me out. I'm not even sure why.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I get grief for not worshiping Queen. I don't even hate them. They're just not at the top of my list. I think they're musically brilliant, but their lyrics actually annoy me, especially that song about the bicycle. And that song with "mama, I killed a man" has lyrics that IMO sound idiotic. I think Freddy Mercury was a good singer, but he should have left the lyric writing to someone else. Of course, I don't expect everyone to have the same perspective as I do. If they love his lyrics, that's fine with me. But, man, I've caught some grief for not loving everything about Freddy Mercury. Okay, whatever. If that upsets people, it's not my problem. It's not my job in life to tiptoe around everything that might trigger someone. I can't imagine why it would ruin someone's day just if I don't like some lyrics that they think are great.

I would have to agree with you on Maroon 5, the Jonas Brothers, and U2. Everything about these artists makes me gag. It's a mystery to me why anyone would pay money to hear them, but, hey, to each his own, I guess.

OMG, I can't believe I forgot to mention the artist I HATE more than any other: James Blunt. It blows my mind that anyone likes his music. Yelch.
I'm a huge fan of Queen, and I think Freddie Mercury is the best front man ever, but he did write some silly lyrics, even making up words.

Then again, Steve Miller made up the word "pompatus", in the song The Joker and most people probably don't even know it.

Jim Morrison sounds like he's making up the lyrics as he goes along, in a lot of Doors songs.

I can certainly understand if any of those things bother someone, but we all tend to be more forgiving when we like the rest of the product.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Somehow it just doesn't appeal to me. I actually believe that Jim Morrison had talent. I just couldn't enjoy his music because it always weirded me out. I'm not even sure why.

Doors music is basicaally Blues/Jazz/Poetry driven. Anyways, for me rap is creepy. Guys talking with a drrum beat (from little i've heard), talking gangsta crap 'bout their hoes and their money. If I wanted to listen to only talk, it wouldn't be rap, rather listen to Gandhi backed with a drum beat myself. At least he'll talk about something more universal that all races can relate to.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Jim Morrison sounds like he's making up the lyrics as he goes along, in a lot of Doors songs.

His notebooks of poetry were used for his lyrics. Yes he does improvise in some cases onstage with his lyrics. That is more intune to what the Jazz musicians did with their music, which they liked. I like improvisation. Not just going thru the same lyric or emotion over and over,which can be dull sometimes

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Preferring a rusty screwdriver to the ear vs listening to the doors

Thinking led zep is only ok

Like the first few Beatles albums more vs the rest of their catalog

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
His notebooks of poetry were used for his lyrics. Yes he does improvise in some cases onstage with his lyrics. That is more intune to what the Jazz musicians did with their music, which they liked. I like improvisation. Not just going thru the same lyric or emotion over and over,which can be dull sometimes
So he actually thought out the lyrics to The Soft Parade?

Don't get me wrong, I have a few of their albums, and I love The Soft Parade. In fact, I like more of the stuff you don't hear on the radio...though my favorite is The Wasp.