Must solve this problem - stopping the run

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they cannot score points, it won't matter if they can stop the run or not. The offense, completely fell off when the run game disappeared. They have to fix both, but it starts on offense.
That's what the brain trust has been doing since Johnson left. The last DT taken in the 1st was Maryland by Johnson. He would have taken a LB instead of RB had Francis not been off the board.

Yes, they need to score points but the defense should come first. And stopping the run should come first on the defense, not rushing the passer or "war daddy's".

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly...I'd be very tempted to move up if Jordan Davis were to slip out of the top 10. Problem is...we.... got holes everywhere else...:(
There is a warning sign on him. Watch this player and the number of plays. He was the top D player on the Heisman list and couldn't get enough plays in. I was a fan too, at times I would just go "oh Lordy, how in the hell does anyone block that" and then I couldn't find him on the field. I watched UGA a lot and he wasn't in the game enough.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That's what the brain trust has been doing since Johnson left. The last DT taken in the 1st was Maryland by Johnson. He would have taken a LB instead of RB had Francis not been off the board.

Yes, they need to score points but the defense should come first. And stopping the run should come first on the defense, not rushing the passer or "war daddy's".
Have to do both, think Defense is just a NT away from being able to stop the run, but OL has a lot of issues.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There is a warning sign on him. Watch this player and the number of plays. He was the top D player on the Heisman list and couldn't get enough plays in. I was a fan too, at times I would just go "oh Lordy, how in the hell does anyone block that" and then I couldn't find him on the field. I watched UGA a lot and he wasn't in the game enough.
Get the kid from UConn in the 2nd or 3rd if he slips.

Typically we always overvalue those large DTs in the draft.
Heck, I wanted to draft Tyler Shelvin in the 2nd last year, but he slid all the way to the 4th.
Alim McNeil slid to the 3rd and I was ready to grab him in the 2nd as well.

Motorola

Reaction score
This problem has haunted the Cowboys defense for decades and they do not seem to get it.

I wanted Parsons for this reason and thought that would help and they try and turn him into a pass rusher because they weren't very good at it across the DL. In the playoff game, did you see him help stop a run game that gave up 170 with a 2nd tier, maybe 3rd, QB? The QB was not likely to beat them.

How bad was it? He completed 60% of his passes for 172 yards, 2 less than they rushed for, and one pick and no TD's. They controlled the clock with 34 minutes TOP. He passed it 25 times and they ran it 37 times between Mitchell and Samuel for 2 TD's.

They have eschewed the space eating DT's that can shut the middle down so they have to do the next best thing, get a MLB or keep Parsons at that position except under special circumstances. Vander Esch is not that guy. Wagner might me.

They have needs at OL, TE. WR but nothing more important than fixing this problem.

The Niners coaching staff saw the opportunity to out muscle and out tough the Cowboys defense and did just that. It is especially enlightening to hear Parsons say he should be locked up on the other teams best player and in this instance singled out Deebo Samuel. and he was unable to stop him when it was needed the most.

I am anticipating a run heavy NFC this season because most of the QB's are in the AFC.

The opportunity is there in free agency and the draft but will they take it? If not, nothing changes.
Dan Quinn helped turn around that historically bad 2020 defense.
However - his mantra is "fast and furious" - quick to the ball carrier and tackle well - similar to the philosophy of Rob Marinelli - run fast to the ball and make a play.
Both are anti - "Defensive Line Being Dominant" (4-3, 3-4, hybrid) = controlling LOS.
Shut down running lanes; clog the point of attack to eliminate RB forward progress so that the players from the other side can penitrate \ chase to get a TFL or ensure minimal/ no gain.
Instead of shredding - caving in an O-Lline ...we have Dallas front seven running around blocks.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Awesome I love bench racing the problem of stopping the run and the fact that we have not attended to it in 20 years

Didn't we have Glover and Ratliff sometime before electricity.

Geez this isn't rocket science try using a first-round pick on a defensive tackle once in a while.

Heck how about trade up and draft Dontari Poe instead of mostly injured Claiborne.

Not us we get him for a ham sandwich at the end of his career when he's got nothing left.

Guys like Suh ,Nagta and Poe in their prime is what we need to stop the run but first we need someone with the intelligence to find and draft such an individual.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
They have done nothing to address the team's 2 biggest weaknesses from last season, the oline and run defense.

Seems par for the course these days. Guess we know what they will be drafting.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This problem has haunted the Cowboys defense for decades and they do not seem to get it.

I wanted Parsons for this reason and thought that would help and they try and turn him into a pass rusher because they weren't very good at it across the DL. In the playoff game, did you see him help stop a run game that gave up 170 with a 2nd tier, maybe 3rd, QB? The QB was not likely to beat them.

How bad was it? He completed 60% of his passes for 172 yards, 2 less than they rushed for, and one pick and no TD's. They controlled the clock with 34 minutes TOP. He passed it 25 times and they ran it 37 times between Mitchell and Samuel for 2 TD's.

They have eschewed the space eating DT's that can shut the middle down so they have to do the next best thing, get a MLB or keep Parsons at that position except under special circumstances. Vander Esch is not that guy. Wagner might me.

They have needs at OL, TE. WR but nothing more important than fixing this problem.

The Niners coaching staff saw the opportunity to out muscle and out tough the Cowboys defense and did just that. It is especially enlightening to hear Parsons say he should be locked up on the other teams best player and in this instance singled out Deebo Samuel. and he was unable to stop him when it was needed the most.

I am anticipating a run heavy NFC this season because most of the QB's are in the AFC.

The opportunity is there in free agency and the draft but will they take it? If not, nothing changes.

they have no need at wr and a need at 3rd te.

cowboys young dt’s should all be better this year. SF ran on everyone. Penalties were the issue and OL.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I'm in 100% agreement with Nate Newton we are weak in the center of the offensive and defensive lines.

We need a real center and a dominant nose tackle and the whole team gets better.

Large talented men at these positions cover a multitude of sins and make everyone better

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score

I gave you a like just for using 'eschewed'.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Don't want to sound like I'm defending the braintrust...but they have TRIED at DT lately.

A 2nd and two 3rds in the last three drafts.

Poe and McCoy on the vet side and Urban and Watkins on the cheap side.

Problem is none of those approaches have worked.

Really the only thing they havent tried is using a 1st.....and if that young man from UGA happens to be there I'm sure they will take a long look.

Don't ask what that means in this case. Thanks.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Last two seasons with McCarthy, we at least made token attempts at NT. Poe, then Bohanna. I think he wants some 3 man fronts, with large blitzing LBs.

Batman1980

Reaction score

We haven't had a true 1T since 2006, Jason Ferguson. Let that sink in.

jnday

Reaction score
I'd be satisfied with Jadaveon Clowney, Wagner and something in the draft at NT. Clowney is an EXCELLENT run defender and Wagner is a more pure MLB than Parsons (who I still want taking snaps off the ball.
Clowney’s level of play has never matched his contracts. At this point, he is nothing more than a gun for hire that has always been overpayed. Winning does not matter and the location of the team does not matter. Money is his only motivation.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Clowney’s level of play has never matched his contracts. At this point, he is nothing more than a gun for hire that has always been overpayed. Winning does not matter and the location of the team does not matter. Money is his only motivation.

This, if had to take him would just take a flyer in the draft.

Xavier187

Reaction score
Here's the thing.

There is two ways to fix this and one is easy.

A massive NT who can push the pocket and make lives uneasyfor opposing OC and OGs.

This is the most effective way.

The draft is one way and a trade is another.
Waking the options there maybe two or three NTs in the draft.
Or you can trade for one.
Grady Jarrett is the man to aim for I believe.

The second way is having a second wave that's effecaint. Draft or FA.
Bobby Wagner is that guy.

Can we do both? Maybe. But if we could pull this off this draft could fix the Offensive side of the ball and narrow this draft all the way down to one side of the ball.

It's Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones choice how they wanna run this team. FALCONS are in a full meltdown rebuild.

What can they do or won't do?

We all know ........ just my two cents

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem starts with Laurel and Hardy about getting serious about this DL and quit farting around with the money and spin. Always thinking they are the smartest team out here.
I didn't realize Laurel and Hardy were father and son.