Must solve this problem - stopping the run

Cowboyny

Reaction score
And if they can't stop the run, it won't matter if we can score points or not.
They proved in the past they can be more successful when they can control the clock and run the football. See Dak’s rookie yr. Not disputing needing to stop the run, but saying fixing the offense is the priority

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Ironically...
- We did not run the ball well vs Bucs .. yet we scored points on a good team because of how we moved the ball in the pass game
- we did not run the ball well vs Pats .. yet we scored points and how we moved the ball in air with the pass.

- we ran well vs weak sisters and non competitive teams - ala Carolina, Philly, Giants ... but what about the more competitive teams than
weak sista NFC East ? ..Arizona, Radas, Denver ?

- But what started happening' despite the loss of the run game , was how opposing teams counter scheme and comprised our pass game with heavy loaded
zone coverage to which we flat did not adjust ...
Teams dared us to beat them on the ground and we just couldn’t do it

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Definitely agree on offensive issues but even with those issue they were statistically one of the better units in the league making defense, specifically DT, the higher priority. IMO
Statically they were league average when teams started playing the pass

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Brother you hit it right on the head. I believe the front office wants to get our running game going before anything else. As well as the The 49ers ran the ball we still had opportunities to win the game. It’s a passing league now and the Cowboys defense is good enough. I still think we need to find Zeke’s replacement this draft.
They proved even with a poor run defense, can still win if their offense is explosive. I’m all for fixing the run D too, but that’s more minor tweaking then fixing our run game

baltcowboy

Reaction score
They proved even with a poor run defense, can still win if their offense is explosive. I’m all for fixing the run D too, but that’s more minor tweaking then fixing our run game
The defense is fine. We have a stud on every level as long as Tank stays healthy. Barring injuries Parsons and Diggs will get better. It’s about offensive line improvement and telling Zeke to sit his butt down.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This problem has haunted the Cowboys defense for decades and they do not seem to get it.

I wanted Parsons for this reason and thought that would help and they try and turn him into a pass rusher because they weren't very good at it across the DL. In the playoff game, did you see him help stop a run game that gave up 170 with a 2nd tier, maybe 3rd, QB? The QB was not likely to beat them.

How bad was it? He completed 60% of his passes for 172 yards, 2 less than they rushed for, and one pick and no TD's. They controlled the clock with 34 minutes TOP. He passed it 25 times and they ran it 37 times between Mitchell and Samuel for 2 TD's.

They have eschewed the space eating DT's that can shut the middle down so they have to do the next best thing, get a MLB or keep Parsons at that position except under special circumstances. Vander Esch is not that guy. Wagner might me.

They have needs at OL, TE. WR but nothing more important than fixing this problem.

The Niners coaching staff saw the opportunity to out muscle and out tough the Cowboys defense and did just that. It is especially enlightening to hear Parsons say he should be locked up on the other teams best player and in this instance singled out Deebo Samuel. and he was unable to stop him when it was needed the most.

I am anticipating a run heavy NFC this season because most of the QB's are in the AFC.

The opportunity is there in free agency and the draft but will they take it? If not, nothing changes.

The defense held the Niners to 23 points which is more than acceptable in a playoff game.
The REAL problem for us was scoring only 7 points in the first 3 Quarters?
This problem against playoff-caliber teams has been constant for us since 2016 as we cannot score points early and consistently.
Yes, you can blame everything under the Sun but in the end, the above is our downfall year in year out!!!

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
Clowney is an excellent run defender. We have the cap to use him as a 1 year rental.

though i do wonder if Clowney is supposed to be so excellent,.. why is he always on a one year rental seemingly every year with several NFL teams nowadays ?

LittleD

Reaction score
Our number one problem is the OL. We couldn't run it and we couldn't block it up for Dak. It looked like I95 lanes to Dak most of the time and 2 seconds to throw it. Tyron looked like an old man grabbing the
rocking chair in that playoff game. He's next to done to my eyes and we are void at LB right now. Dak will need to be a jack rabbit next season if we can't block down and run the ball. Zeke looks to be on a forever
diet now as his eating days appear over. No OL means no points and no wins.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
must solve the problem. qb can score against good defenses no matter what our defense does.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Teams also dared us to beat their heavy zone coverage deep defense .... and we just could not do that either ..

Yes, this is why I am expecting an offensive overhaul in the draft, OL/WR/TE and even RB.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The defense is fine. We have a stud on every level as long as Tank stays healthy. Barring injuries Parsons and Diggs will get better. It’s about offensive line improvement and telling Zeke to sit his butt down.
Defense needs another Edge rusher, DT and Linebacker, but more role players then stars needed.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
The defense held the Niners to 23 points which is more than acceptable in a playoff game.
The REAL problem for us was scoring only 7 points in the first 3 Quarters?
This problem against playoff-caliber teams has been constant for us since 2016 as we cannot score points early and consistently.
Yes, you can blame everything under the Sun but in the end, the above is our downfall year in year out!!!
nooooo, stop the run and hope our defense can put up points, because our loser qb can't

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nooooo, stop the run and hope our defense can put up points, because our loser qb can't
Take a glace at all our games vs teams with winning records and its pretty evident we score very little from Q 1-3.
Prescott wakes up when its Garbage time (4thQ) and he comes sooooooo close but no cigar...Cowboys lose!!!!

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
lmao, if we stop the run, who's putting up points. oh, we're hoping for 0 - 0 games.

all the loses we endured last year I blame the defense for not scoring more, the baby dak can't do it all, well anything.

Havic

Reaction score
though i do wonder if Clowney is supposed to be so excellent,.. why is he always on a one year rental seemingly every year with several NFL teams nowadays ?

Injuries and his contract demands were simply too high and he priced himself out of the market.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yes, this is why I am expecting an offensive overhaul in the draft, OL/WR/TE and even RB.

wow .. an offensive overhaul ? Isn't this a bit overreaction with all the cap money and high picks we've already placed in these positions ?

OL
- We're still going on with Tyron and his cap dollars/salary
- We're still going on with future Zack Martin though he's not as dominant as he used to be.

QB - Contrary to the haters, Dak is our QB and that's gonna decide future coaches to be

RB - Zeke is on his last legs and looks to be a 2023 cap casualty

TE - We are not tagging Schultz to let him go; expect long term eventually
WR - we drafted Lamb in 1st rd. and just dished out a big contract for Gallup