My 2005 Cowboys Mock Draft

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
After watching tonight's game I'm turning my focus towards the draft instead of this dismal team.

1a. Mathias Kiwanuka DE BC- Tonight we were able to flush McNabb a few times but couldn't wrap him up and sack him. Something has to be done about the pressure we're getting on the QB and this is the first step.

1b. Marlin Jackson CB Michigan- Excellent size and speed, not afraid to step up against the run. Good in man and press coverage.

2. Gabe Watson DT Michigan- At 6'4" and 300+ pounds he's just right for the interior of our Dline. Extremely strong person will really help against the run.

4. Ben Emanuel S UCLA- Huge for a saftey. Has adequate speed to drop back in coverage but is equally adept up close to the line.

5. Bam Childress WR Ohio St- Very versatile on offense but is capable of scoring at any time. Will surely help add some explosiveness to an offense that doesn't have a whole lot right now.

7. BPA

zagnut

Reaction score
cowboysfan31 said:
After watching tonight's game I'm turning my focus towards the draft instead of this dismal team.

1a. Mathias Kiwanuka DE BC- Tonight we were able to flush McNabb a few times but couldn't wrap him up and sack him. Something has to be done about the pressure we're getting on the QB and this is the first step.

1b. Marlin Jackson CB Michigan- Excellent size and speed, not afraid to step up against the run. Good in man and press coverage.

2. Gabe Watson DT Michigan- At 6'4" and 300+ pounds he's just right for the interior of our Dline. Extremely strong person will really help against the run.

4. Ben Emanuel S UCLA- Huge for a saftey. Has adequate speed to drop back in coverage but is equally adept up close to the line.

5. Bam Childress WR Ohio St- Very versatile on offense but is capable of scoring at any time. Will surely help add some explosiveness to an offense that doesn't have a whole lot right now.

7. BPA

Outside of Emanuel, I could deal with this draft day. Especially Watson. I'm a little mixed on Kiwanuka. Super athletic, but not much stronger than Shante Carver. The Cowboys just are not physical and that's one area I'd like to see us improve in.

IMO, Emanuel = Tony Dixon. Doesn't like to tackle. Not agressive. Not very good in coverage. Give me Jamaal Brimmer, or Oshi Atogwe. Truthfully I'd rather handle FS via Free Agency so Roy can immediately get back to doing what he does best.

jamez25

Reaction score
I've seen Mathias Kiwanuka play a couple times and he just does not look very quick to me.A 6'8" guy with all that athletic ability should be dominating and he is not...I don't think he is as good as Suggs in Baltimore and is nowhere near as good as Peppers.I do like the Marlin Jackson pick (he or Rolle are greatly needed)

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jamez25 said:
I've seen Mathias Kiwanuka play a couple times and he just does not look very quick to me.A 6'8" guy with all that athletic ability should be dominating and he is not...I don't think he is as good as Suggs in Baltimore and is nowhere near as good as Peppers.I do like the Marlin Jackson pick (he or Rolle are greatly needed)

I have to agree...I have seen Mathias play a couple of times and besides his height I just do not find him that great.
Now...it might be a product of his system, might be the talent around him...but he just did not impress me much.
Not enough to be taking with a high pick in the first round anyways.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I have to agree...I have seen Mathias play a couple of times and besides his height I just do not find him that great.
Now...it might be a product of his system, might be the talent around him...but he just did not impress me much.
Not enough to be taking with a high pick in the first round anyways.

After watching both Kiwinuka and Justin Tuck, Tuck seems like the more polished DE by far.

Eddie

Reaction score
I don't think we'll use all our day 1 picks on D. That's over emphasizing that unit ... we're paying the price for over emphasizing the O in the 2004 draft.

We need balance. Best player available between DE, DT, CB, WR, and RB. Best LB or FS in the 4th round.

I think taking a DE will be useless in our current system. Zimmer's read and react system is going to get any rookie DE swallowed up.

Are any of Baltimore's assistant coaches ready for the DC spot???

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
On Emanuel, he seems to vary from game to game. I don't believe that he doesn't like to tackle, he just doesn't like to wrap or take even decent angles at times. One option out there, though little known, is Alexis Moreland from SIU. He is one of the top defensive players in I-AA football and would probably be ideal for what we need. He's got good size at 6'1" 205lbs and is an excellent ball-hawk type saftey. So far this year he's got 4 picks and 7 pass breakups to go along with 3 blocked kicks on special teams.

On Kiwanuka, I've seen him several times and he's looked pretty good to me. On thing to keep in mind is that he is playing on a very young defence starting quite a few true freshman. They haven't had a big recruiting pull because of other more attractive teams that used to be in the Big East but with them going to the ACC they expect to start really pulling some talent from the Northeast. Right now, the only other really talented player on their D besides Kiwanuka is top freshman recruit Brian Toal. However looking at his stats he has done quite well. He gets in the backfield (17 tfl, 8 sacks), is disruptive in the passing game (2 picks and another pass breakup), and he's also added about 10lbs of muscle since last year and has held up against the run much better. Someone mentioned Justin Tuck but Tuck is actually probably going to have to move to OLB in the NFL so he wouldn't be a horribly accurate comparison.

I know that we are currently paying to price for going offense-heavy in last year's draft but because of that I don't think a balanced draft will work. If you look at the offense it hasn't been pretty but where we have holes we have prospective fixes that we haven't yet seen. Henson may be the answer at QB but who knows? JJ may be the answer at RB but we haven't seen him yet. Even if he isn't, a replacement or supplement to him wouldn't be drafted until day 2 regardless. The offensive line has been good but not spectacular. Flozell and Larry are on their decline but they will last for few more years and the C and right side of the line is still young. At WR all we need is a speedy deep threat (like Glenn) but one of those wouldn't be worth a day 1 pick either. Courtney Roby, Airese Curry, Roddy White, and Brandon Jones are all viable day 2 options for a big-play type receiver. At FB hopefully Polite can make an impact as a strong blocking back as he did in college so that we don't have to suffer through Barnes' ST "greatness" anymore.

On defense the holes are much more numerous. Our D line doesn't get pressure and our DTs are undersized. Our LBers are slowing with age (for the most part) and it is showing because the pursuit isn't there anymore. Our secondary is only half there, and on some days it doesn't show up at all.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Tuck would be the perfect olb in a 3-4.

If Parcells does make the move to the 3-4, he would be wise to pick Tuck in the second.

zagnut

Reaction score
cowboysfan31 said:
On Kiwanuka, I've seen him several times and he's looked pretty good to me. On thing to keep in mind is that he is playing on a very young defence starting quite a few true freshman. They haven't had a big recruiting pull because of other more attractive teams that used to be in the Big East but with them going to the ACC they expect to start really pulling some talent from the Northeast. Right now, the only other really talented player on their D besides Kiwanuka is top freshman recruit Brian Toal. However looking at his stats he has done quite well. He gets in the backfield (17 tfl, 8 sacks), is disruptive in the passing game (2 picks and another pass breakup), and he's also added about 10lbs of muscle since last year and has held up against the run much better. Someone mentioned Justin Tuck but Tuck is actually probably going to have to move to OLB in the NFL so he wouldn't be a horribly accurate comparison.

Stats are a bit unreliable in college. Kearse had very few sacks in college. Greg Ellis had a ton but he's not exactly a sack master. Shante Carver had a ton and he was a complete bust. If most of Kiwanuka's 8 sacks and 17 TFL came against the likes of Rutgers, UConn, and UMass, is that still high first round draft worthy? It may be a case like Kearse where he hasn't grown into his body yet -- I don't think he's been playing football very long and is pretty young -- but football is a game of violent collision, especially on the line. Does he like that part? I don't see it clearly.

On a side note...

Harvey Martin, Ed Jones, Jim Jeffcoat, Tony Tolbert, Charles Haley, Greg Ellis.

Shante Carver, Kavika Pittman, Colston Weatherington, Ebeneezer Ekuban.

I suggest our next DE be named Bob Smith. :)
(or John Abraham, Shaun Ellis, Darren Howard, Dan Cody, or David Pollack.)

Derinyar

Reaction score
I don't think we take a RB high in the next draft, period. JJ has to be given some time, also if BP is really convinced hes not the answer theres a couple of RB's that will probably be on the market this year (Edgerin James and Shaun Alexander) that would be worth looking at.

I think just getting a midteir RB with some speed will be enough to help out our offense a lot, as long as the line play doesn't disappear next year.

DT, DE, CB, LB, FS, WR are the needs.

The problem is the WR we need isn't going to likely be found outside the first round, and this looks like a weaker WR draft, or at least not nearly as good as last years.

DT, DE, CB are the likely pool for our two 1st's, unless you believe we are totally flipping systems this off season, then you remove DE and DT and add in OLB and MLB. I still don't think its likely we switch to a base 4-3 just cause it would require blowing up the entire defense.

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
The guy thats 6-8 is "projected " to be taken by the skins, but I think a guy thats taller than most OT's will get stood up too easily......

Obviously the skins ' need a pass rusher, just not this guy....

you can have him:D

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
zagnut said:
Stats are a bit unreliable in college. Kearse had very few sacks in college. Greg Ellis had a ton but he's not exactly a sack master. Shante Carver had a ton and he was a complete bust. If most of Kiwanuka's 8 sacks and 17 TFL came against the likes of Rutgers, UConn, and UMass, is that still high first round draft worthy? It may be a case like Kearse where he hasn't grown into his body yet -- I don't think he's been playing football very long and is pretty young -- but football is a game of violent collision, especially on the line. Does he like that part? I don't see it clearly.

On a side note...

Harvey Martin, Ed Jones, Jim Jeffcoat, Tony Tolbert, Charles Haley, Greg Ellis.

Shante Carver, Kavika Pittman, Colston Weatherington, Ebeneezer Ekuban.

I suggest our next DE be named Bob Smith. :)
(or John Abraham, Shaun Ellis, Darren Howard, Dan Cody, or David Pollack.)

Stats may be unreliable but consistency usually remains constant and that is what he has. Earlier in the year he had a string of 14 straight games in which he had atleast one sack. Now that has since been broken but he has still played very will in almost every single game. He had another very good game today with 9 tackles, 2.5 TFL, and 2 sacks. On the other had I saw guys like Erasmus James that were pretty much nullified in their games for the most part.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I like Gabe Watson's potential.

But a couple of things bother me.

First, he's a Michigan DLineman.....

Second, he's a Jr. I doubt he would come out if he weren't guaranteed a spot in the first round.

But he does have great potential.

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
Watson actually is looking like he's got a fair shot at making the 1st but with Wright and Ngata possibly going in the first along with Hawthorne he may be pushed down into the top of the second where we could get him. Remember Randy Starks last year looked like lock to be a first round but then fell all the way to the 3rd where the Titans stole him.