My 3 team trade involving Dak

HanD

Reaction score
I just read so often we can't pay a QB that much money and possibly win. Source - Cowboyszone. :laugh:
normally i wouldn't trade dak and a 1st for wilson but this scenario would require seattle eating a lot of dead cap and the receiving team gets wilson at a cap hit would avg in the mid 20s for the next 3 years which is a steal.

seattle would have to eat so much cap to trade wilson and then cut players to get under the cap...

i don't think the raiders give up a first and carr for dak because they are cap strapped and wouldn't want to double their QBs salary commitment.

Last edited:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
only flaw in his game is he has to take chances to keep that team competitive and in the playoffs every year.
Other than the fact that he has a generally poor pocket presence and doesn't get rid of the ball quickly, sure.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You would be paying Wilson less than you would Dak.

If we must pay a QB then i'd much rather have Wilson at a cheaper price then Dak.

I think we're a team trending down though and the better option would be to roll the dice in the draft and get the cheapest option possible and focus on stacking the rest of the roster.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Other than the fact that he has a generally poor pocket presence and doesn't get rid of the ball quickly, sure.
surprised by that comment from you Future.
I believe most folks regard his pocket presence as outstanding. routinely clowning defenders to keep the play alive because he has to buy time in order to drop those dimes to receivers who aren't really open or to allow them to get 40 yards downfield.
All things equal, i would take his "flaws" any day.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
I have said it several times already but if I ran the Cowboys I call the Raiders and I call Dak and figure out how to obtain Derek Carr plus another player and the Raiders 1st in 2021 for Dak Prescott.

While Carr has not had the winning stats with the Raiders in part due to a screwed up run franchise, his personal stats are not debatable:

Career Stats

2014-2020 (110 Games) 2,468 for 3,830 Comp % 64.4% 26,896 Yards 170 TD's 71 INT's

Even more enticing is Carr's stats from 2016-2020 (78 Games):

1,770 for 2,658 Comp % 66.6% 19,639 Yards 117 TD's 46 INT's

Carr is actually improving and becoming a much more efficient NFL starting QB in spite of the team record. Carr turns 30 in March (just 2 years older than Dak who turns 28 in July) and when you compare Carr's stats from 2016-2020 to that of Dak Prescott's stats, you will see something interesting:

Dak Prescott 2016-2020 (69 Games):

1,514 for 2,293 Comp % 66% 17,634 Yards 106 TD's 40 INT's

Carr's salary cap hits:

2021: $22.125M

2022: $19.877M

Getting him affords Dallas to reallocate some financial resources towards fixing the defense while suffering no drop off at the QB position.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
surprised by that comment from you Future.
I believe most folks regard his pocket presence as outstanding. routinely clowning defenders to keep the play alive because he has to buy time in order to drop those dimes to receivers who aren't really open or to allow them to get 40 yards downfield.
All things equal, i would take his "flaws" any day.
No, it's not, especially not the back half of last year. Like Watson, a lot of the scrambling, big plays are because he holds the ball too long, or creates pressure with poor movement. Too often being a great runner is associated with being great in the pocket.

From the paywalled site - “What is wrong with Russell Wilson?” a veteran coach who watched the game said at the time. “He is seeing ghosts. They act like they are not protecting him, but he kills the protection. There are times they got a clean pocket, he runs up in there, he just panics. He is not playing very good at all.”

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
False. Any team acquiring Wilson would be paying him 19m,24m, and 27m over the next 3 years because of prorated signing bonus.

I mean as far as value trades go this is probably closer to being actual value but it still has the problem that Dallas is a team that is very devoid of talent due to 3-4 disastrous drafts in a row. They are not in win now mode but if you give up multiple 1s then you basically might as well be.

Not in a win now mode? BS. The offense if the OL stays healthy is in a win now mode. It was more scheme and injuries last year that made the defense suck. Now with a new scheme, get some of these players healthy, a good draft. so if the defense can even be middle of the pack, they are ready.

3 or 4 bad drafts in a row? what the hell, you expect a pro bowler even in the 7th round?

Adreme

Reaction score
Not in a win now mode? BS. The offense if the OL stays healthy is in a win now mode. It was more scheme and injuries last year that made the defense suck. Now with a new scheme, get some of these players healthy, a good draft. so if the defense can even be middle of the pack, they are ready.

3 or 4 bad drafts in a row? what the hell, you expect a pro bowler even in the 7th round?

Okay lets make it simple. 2017,2018, and 2019 tell me who the top picks are from the first half of those drafts because in a good draft you find 1 playmaker at the top. Also, tell me who the solid starters are from those drafts in the mid to late rounds. They simply do not exist. The top was a disaster and the bottom did not find enough solid starters. Hitting on drafts is how you win in the NFL and only a fool would say 2017-2019 drafts are anything but a significant L across the board.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like this trade a LOT. I'm a huge Dak guy. But I'm also an NFL guy and a Cowboys guy, and I believe if Wilson can't win a Super Bowl after getting paid, Dak probably isn't gonna win one here either. (anytime soon at least) So it's better to get Wilson at the tail end of his contract and see what he can do, and then we can decide to sign him again or draft a new QB.

Seahawks are being like the Rams. They're being smart not to fall in love with one guy. Packers fans would rather give up a Super Bowl than to part with Rodgers, and lots of Pittsburgh fans I've spoke to are way too attached to Ben than to give him up, but Seahawks fans might actually be willing to part with Wilson for some draft picks to build up that defense, though I think they're gonna get more than 2 first rounders. They'll probably get one more 1st rounder.

I'm also gonna cheer Dak on in Vegas. It's closer to where I live, and I can be a fan of more than the Cowboys, and I think his best chance to win a Super Bowl is with a rising team like Las Vegas. The Gruden will eventually get it going and I think they're one of those teams set for a monster 2021 year. They could be the Tampa Bay of 2021, and the reason they didn't make the playoffs this year was because Carr hurt down with turnovers and bad play in the last stretch of the year. They'll look to rectify that next year by moving on from him.

giphy-1.gif
The Cowboys would be the winner in this, and maybe the Seahawks would think about it if they could sign Carr to an extension at a reasonable price, but I don't see this working for the Raiders who would give up Carr, a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick to get Prescott on a big contract and a 3rd round pick.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay lets make it simple. 2017,2018, and 2019 tell me who the top picks are from the first half of those drafts because in a good draft you find 1 playmaker at the top. Also, tell me who the solid starters are from those drafts in the mid to late rounds. They simply do not exist. The top was a disaster and the bottom did not find enough solid starters. Hitting on drafts is how you win in the NFL and only a fool would say 2017-2019 drafts are anything but a significant L across the board.

So you are calling me a fool? get lost dude, look at the entire drafts. 2017, we had some serviceable players, for the years they were here. Taco was a bust. 2018 and 2019, you are wrong, as give another 1 or 2 years. And we are getting good production from them, not their fault they had a horrible scheme and injuries last year. As I said you expect a pro bowl player at every round. Who is being the fool? not me.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Great call.

He looks terribly uncomfortable in the pocket. I'd call it pocket awareness more than presence but that's just semantics.

Way too many times he needed to take off and get a 1st down with his legs, chose not to, and looked very indecisive in doing so.

IMO the more he runs the more successful he is.

Seemed like the team tried to turn him into a pocket passer after 2016.

My biggest concern is he won't run at all after the injury and the decline in his overall game continues.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I think if you trade for Wilson you are probably reworking his deal at some point.

fivetwos

Reaction score

No...but it WOULD be nice to hit on a solid starter in the 4th or 5th round for a change.

Other teams amazingly do that here and there.

Vanilla2

Reaction score

strapped for cash and haven’t heard of something called the salary cap? It’s tough out there right now we just can’t afford any high priced player. Much less a quarterback. I suggest we rescind the tag and let Stephen get out there to find a hidden gem in free agency.