My 3 team trade involving Dak

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I like this trade a LOT. I'm a huge Dak guy. But I'm also an NFL guy and a Cowboys guy, and I believe if Wilson can't win a Super Bowl after getting paid, Dak probably isn't gonna win one here either. (anytime soon at least) So it's better to get Wilson at the tail end of his contract and see what he can do, and then we can decide to sign him again or draft a new QB.

Seahawks are being like the Rams. They're being smart not to fall in love with one guy. Packers fans would rather give up a Super Bowl than to part with Rodgers, and lots of Pittsburgh fans I've spoke to are way too attached to Ben than to give him up, but Seahawks fans might actually be willing to part with Wilson for some draft picks to build up that defense, though I think they're gonna get more than 2 first rounders. They'll probably get one more 1st rounder.

I'm also gonna cheer Dak on in Vegas. It's closer to where I live, and I can be a fan of more than the Cowboys, and I think his best chance to win a Super Bowl is with a rising team like Las Vegas. The Gruden will eventually get it going and I think they're one of those teams set for a monster 2021 year. They could be the Tampa Bay of 2021, and the reason they didn't make the playoffs this year was because Carr hurt down with turnovers and bad play in the last stretch of the year. They'll look to rectify that next year by moving on from him.

giphy-1.gif
well your being innovative, but this wont happen.
Jones boys are not that clever, Gruden probably would not go for what you propose, however I like the idea of a 3 team deal, and it doesnt hurt
to propose stuff like this if your the cowboys, you might get a deal better than what you think.
What Jimmy did with herschel and some others were done by just proposing things and then see what response you get and go from there.

I would like to see russell play for the cowboys, it would be interesting, and less costly, except for any draft picks given up.
I dont expect it to happen though, jones boys are slow of mind when it comes to trades.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That still begs the question of how many teams would have $37 million in extra cap space after already spending in free agency with a reduced salary cap in 2021. Plus without a commitment from Dak to sign long-term I don't think a team is giving up a lot of draft capital.

Well, not every team is like us, some of them do have cap space. Believe it or not, there are 7 teams that have more then 40 mil in cap space for 2021. So the idea is not really impossible. If, as many believe, QB is the most important position to address, then that should really not be an issue for teams who believe that. They can always just sign a deal like Philly or the Rams did. Sign Dak to a deal that they just get out of once the money gets to big, like they did with Wentz and Goff. As for a long term commitment, if Money is what Dak and France really want, then why wouldn't they sign a deal with a team that is willing to offer the money and term they want? I mean, the entire premise of this idea that the Cowboys must pay him the money he wants for the term he want because he is so good is really what would be tested here. What I suspect is that if Dak and his agent are right, then it's not a problem and the Cowboys get compensation. If they are wrong, which I suspect, then the Cowboys get Dak for 35 AAV for 5 years. As I said earlier, either one is a win for the team.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Well, not every team is like us, some of them do have cap space. Believe it or not, there are 7 teams that have more then 40 mil in cap space for 2021. So the idea is not really impossible. If, as many believe, QB is the most important position to address, then that should really not be an issue for teams who believe that. They can always just sign a deal like Philly or the Rams did. Sign Dak to a deal that they just get out of once the money gets to big, like they did with Wentz and Goff. As for a long term commitment, if Money is what Dak and France really want, then why wouldn't they sign a deal with a team that is willing to offer the money and term they want? I mean, the entire premise of this idea that the Cowboys must pay him the money he wants for the term he want because he is so good is really what would be tested here. What I suspect is that if Dak and his agent are right, then it's not a problem and the Cowboys get compensation. If they are wrong, which I suspect, then the Cowboys get Dak for 35 AAV for 5 years. As I said earlier, either one is a win for the team.

That is where I disagree. If Dak and his agent are wrong, I think the far more likely scenario is they play on the tag and go to free agency the following year. They know they will be able to command more money if the team can get him without giving up draft capital in the process and the cap likely rebounding. As for paying Dak a contract similar to Wentz and Goff I am pretty sure that ship has sailed. The time to do that was after 2018 where they had that year of Dak only making $2 million and they could have frontloaded the contract. With Dak wanting a short term deal idk how the Cowboys can structure the deal to get out of it early if Dak wants a 4 year deal (might even want a 3 year deal now).

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That is where I disagree. If Dak and his agent are wrong, I think the far more likely scenario is they play on the tag and go to free agency the following year. They know they will be able to command more money if the team can get him without giving up draft capital in the process and the cap likely rebounding. As for paying Dak a contract similar to Wentz and Goff I am pretty sure that ship has sailed. The time to do that was after 2018 where they had that year of Dak only making $2 million and they could have frontloaded the contract. With Dak wanting a short term deal idk how the Cowboys can structure the deal to get out of it early if Dak wants a 4 year deal (might even want a 3 year deal now).

Yeah, you are not paying attention to what I said. The Cowboys already tried to pay Dak a better deal then what Wentz and Goff got so the reality is the ship never left port. What I am speaking of is a deal that, like the Goff and Wentz deals, look good on paper but are actually deals that are structured to allow for a team to ditch once the big promised money is due. I am not talking about Dollars but lets be honest here, the Dollars promised those players in those contracts turned out to be not worth the paper the contract was written on so this idea that the money is going to increase, who cares? Not the owners, their plan is to sign them, ride then till it becomes to expensive and then ditch them. Sure, the deals will increase but he won't see the end of it so it's a whatever thing, to me.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Yeah, you are not paying attention to what I said. The Cowboys already tried to pay Dak a better deal then what Wentz and Goff got so the reality is the ship never left port. What I am speaking of is a deal that, like the Goff and Wentz deals, look good on paper but are actually deals that are structured to allow for a team to ditch once the big promised money is due. I am not talking about Dollars but lets be honest here, the Dollars promised those players in those contracts turned out to be not worth the paper the contract was written on so this idea that the money is going to increase, who cares? Not the owners, their plan is to sign them, ride then till it becomes to expensive and then ditch them. Sure, the deals will increase but he won't see the end of it so it's a whatever thing, to me.

I don't think they can structure a contract like that at this point with the years and guarantees Dak wants.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Who is they?
the Cowboys

Edit: Actually I might be wrong on the contract structure.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...contract-agent-predicts-3-years-124-5-million

According to this article they can guarantee $100 million on a three year deal, but have the cap hit be only $17 million in 2021. I didn't think it was possible to get the cap hit that low. I think something like this would be the best bet for the team because they could get away from him after three years if it doesn't work out and Dak gets to return to free agency at the timeline he wanted all along. Plus only paying Dak $17 million still gives room with the cap being lowered in 2021.

Last edited:

pgreptom

Reaction score
Exactly my concern. That's crazy how some posters are quick to allow the Seahawks to swindle the Cowboys as long as Dak gets sent out of the picture.

I can totally see us shipping Dak out but if we do we won't be trading assets as well. I don't care which direction they go just get it done. Dangerous for him to play out on this tag... If they won't meet his demands just trade him.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
lol, every time you post I wonder if you ever actually watched an NFL game.
Its cool if you didnt, I understand the limitations of being in a 3rd world country,, I survived for a very long time without that ability.
Just dont pretend to under evaluate a QB like Russell Wilson.
When you disrespect RW talent, your evaluations fall on deaf ears.
Have you? This has been the knock on Wilson forever.

Good hustle though. I already posted the quote from a coach who said the exact same thing .

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I appreciate the suggestion, I personally would just do a straight up trade with the Raiders:

Raiders Receive

QB Dak Prescott

Cowboys Receive

QB Derek Carr
S Jonathan Abram
2021 1st round pick (#17 overall)

Dallas has a more affordable QB that is fully capable of leading the offense while also getting a young FS to partner with Wilson to help the secondary. With their #10 overall pick Dallas could grab CB Caleb Farley and with the Raiders #17 pick they could grab CB Jaycee Horn. They will have completely transformed their secondary tio a much improved level with the starting threesome of cornerbacks being Diggs, Farley, and Horn with Abram and Wilson manning the safety positions.

Drafting two cornerbacks in the first round would be my dream scenario.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
Not a damn chance I wouldn’t give up more than a head to head swap actually if the cowboys are dead set on getting a back up plan ( which I don’t believe they are) draft a qb ( Mac Jones or trade up) and resign Dalton cheap

Wilson is a good qb but he puts you in same boat Dak does. You might as well pay dak

AND...this is assuming we tag Dak (because otherwise we don't have his rights)...so why would the Raiders pay $38 million for a one year rental?