My all-time most hated football cliche/terms/sayings

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
"it is what it is."

This is nonsensical. Made famous by man boobs.
But it spread.

"it is what it is" is a remark uttered by somebody who doesn't have a clue as to what he or she is talking about but feels compelled to utter that to make the statement sound a bit deep. Often it is as deep as Wade's coaching impact on the NFL.

"At the end of the day."

OK, can't you just say the end result or something similar?
Doofuses. At the end of the day you are no more lyrical or logical than all yew learnt at the the backwater college you must have attended. Or played football at.

"If you will." The simple conjunction "or" can suffice, killers of the English language. And it is a close relative to the also-hated "so to speak."

"Know what I'm saying?" Actually, whenever I hear this, it is a good bet that I do not know what you are saying because your logic, thought process and language skills are nonexistent. I guess all them Communications classes you took learned you that, huh? Know what's I'm saying?

C'mon, friends of language. What are your most hated cliches/sayings/terms that Cowboys and NFL players come up with?

Dig deep within you, make it a gut check. Hep me out, friends of the language.

:p:

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
vanilla "x" where x = defense or offense (Note: does not apply to ice cream! :D)

He wishes he could have that one back.

His favorite receiver is the open one.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
"These two teams don't like each other."

As my father would say, "Which two teams do like each other?"

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
during draft = can't miss player

good/borderline great player = future HOFer

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
"He's a player."

Oh, I wouldn't have noticed except for the uniform.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
Warrior/Soldier..any reference to the game being a war.
It's a game and these sayings diminsh anything real soldiers do for their country.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
"This game is played and won in the trenches"

and

"live to play another day."

And Pheonix (whatever sport) rising from the ashes."

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
"Grain-fed."

Which only applies to nonblack players from nebraska, Kansas and Iowa.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Not quite the same, but....

Announcer: 'He's having a great game!' (after a good play)

Ten minutes later, same announcer, same player: 'He's having a terrible game!' (after a bad play)

Surprised no one has already put in, 'It's a game of inches.'

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
arglebargle;2412973 said:
Not quite the same, but....

Announcer: 'He's having a great game!' (after a good play)

Ten minutes later, same announcer, same player: 'He's having a terrible game!' (after a bad play)

Surprised no one has already put in, 'It's a game of inches.'

Actually it's a game of 100 yards. ;)

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Any phrase when used as a filler, such as Owens saying "Other than that" even when it doesn't fit.

"Giving a 110%". Really? Is time travel next?

superpunk

Reaction score
"Long handoff"

No numnuts - it wasn't a long handoff. It was a forward pass. They invented it decades ago. Come out of your coma.

I think Jaws used the term last night after Warner completed a 50 yard pass to Steve Breaston. "Oh, that was basically like a long handoff". *** are you talking about?

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2412935 said:
"it is what it is."

This is nonsensical. Made famous by man boobs.
But it spread.

"it is what it is" is a remark uttered by somebody who doesn't have a clue as to what he or she is talking about but feels compelled to utter that to make the statement sound a bit deep. Often it is as deep as Wade's coaching impact on the NFL.

"At the end of the day."

OK, can't you just say the end result or something similar?
Doofuses. At the end of the day you are no more lyrical or logical than all yew learnt at the the backwater college you must have attended. Or played football at.

"If you will." The simple conjunction "or" can suffice, killers of the English language. And it is a close relative to the also-hated "so to speak."

"Know what I'm saying?" Actually, whenever I hear this, it is a good bet that I do not know what you are saying because your logic, thought process and language skills are nonexistent. I guess all them Communications classes you took learned you that, huh? Know what's I'm saying?

C'mon, friends of language. What are your most hated cliches/sayings/terms that Cowboys and NFL players come up with?

Dig deep within you, make it a gut check. Hep me out, friends of the language.

:p:

Complain "if you will", but "at the end of the day" you're just going to have to endure us killers of the English language. "Know what I'm saying?":p:

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
He has potential
He's an athlete
I hate It when people say "you know" a lot, you know?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
superpunk;2412988 said:
"Long handoff"

No numnuts - it wasn't a long handoff. It was a forward pass. They invented it decades ago. Come out of your coma.

I think Jaws used the term last night after Warner completed a 50 yard pass to Steve Breaston. "Oh, that was basically like a long handoff". *** are you talking about?

I must confess. I have never heard that one. but I will think of it next time I see Brad throw the football.

How about: "they're icing the guy (kicker)." No, they are just delaying the guy.