My Concerns with our Headcoach situation

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are gonna need blowouts. Bad ones, and the home crowd to start booing!

And we're getting them. Back-to-back weeks and counting. They can put the numbers on any chart they want and they won't like what they see.

fa1183802.jpg

stiletto

Reaction score
Excuses abound this year....but if the team is loaded next year and we get trounced, Jerry might do something. I don't look for any changes this off-season. I'd be surprised even though I think there absolutely should be. A good coaching staff's worth is easier to spot in situations like this and ours has failed miserably. Has to be a perfect situation for them to get a W.

Dwight

Reaction score
And we're getting them. Back-to-back weeks and counting. They can put the numbers on any chart they want and they won't like what they see.

fa1183802.jpg

I envision the Chargers blowing our team out this Thursday. And their pass rush is very good.

Hopefully Jerry and the Clapper will be embarrass and we get the desired outcome we need to get Jason out.

I still want Jim Harbaugh to coach our team next season.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man I hate to see someone be depressed but you and a ton of others (Myself included) will be pretty unhappy when they don't fire him. He's going to get at least next year. The injuries and the suspension absolutely bought Jerry the excuses needed to keep him around another year.

Another sad thought is...not just wanting to get this season over with, but then we have nothing to look forward to in the off season.
Lose tomorrow, and we have nothing to look forward to for the next, almost 10 months until the 2018 kickoff when we open against the Giants on Sunday night. maybe they change it up we we play at NY.

ChipChip

Reaction score

fa1183802.jpg

He's Absolutely right - pie chart, bar chart, line chart, histogram, venn diagram, scatter graph, box and whiskers, stem plot, frequency distribution, column bar, mosaic, mekko charts, population pyramids, spider chart, trellis plot, function plot, binary decision diagram, stacked bar graph, scattergrams, pareto charts, radar charts, spherical contour graph, it doesnt matter... the data is the data and we can't escape it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I envision the Chargers blowing our team out this Thursday. And their pass rush is very good.

Hopefully Jerry and the Clapper will be embarrass and we get the desired outcome we need to get Jason out.

I still want Jim Harbaugh to coach our team next season.

Co-signed!
:hammer:

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Coaches are beholding to the talent they put on the field. Even great coaches cannot make a player do his job if he is too dumb, or cannot execute the system. This goes for Belichick down.

Garrett's problem is he looks good when they put good talent on the field. But you see his warts when the talent isn't there to dominate.

That bullcrap in the Atlanta game with allowing the defensive end to make the replacement for Smith a swinging door was hapless and shows this guy is slow on the uptake.

Now think of Jimmy. (I know, we all go back to him, but he had that special something that translates into being a deep thinker regarding football) Jimmy would have figured out by the second sack that Dak cannot perform while he has a guy on him. He would have been three feet up the butts of the coaching sdtaff to resolve this. Even if it mean putting another lineman out there as a tight end to double this defender and then roll Dak to that side and away from the rush on the other side.

After his first couple of years, you never heard anyone express that the Dallas team did not make half time adjustments.

Garrett was merely a spectator during that game. When your tail end gets beat so badly and you can't muster any more than 7 points, hand clapping becomes pointless. Which means Garrett should have sent a lackey to get him a hotdog and a beer.

Coaching can motivate a team to be better. But from the comments lately by some of the people with knowledge of what happens on the inside, Garrett is an administrator.

This team needs a real leader.

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
Favorite adopted son Jason Garret-Jones is still learning on the job. The process is not yet near completion. Unfortunately it looks to be a 10-15 year learning process! Don't get your hopes up for any changes coming.
:(:(:(:(:(

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Coaches are beholding to the talent they put on the field. Even great coaches cannot make a player do his job if he is too dumb, or cannot execute the system. This goes for Belichick down.

I would hope you have learned by now coaching matters. It is not just a talent based sport where you can put better players on the field and allow that coach to get by coasting off of it.

A good coach identifies specifically what players can do and has them do it. They don't waste time with dumb players nor players physically incapable of doing what is necessary within the confines of their scheme. In some cases, they are flexible enough to take the talent and build around it. They are craftsman. They are builders. But they are more importantly architects as well.

Belichick is a big exception because he is one of the best at evaluating what talent can do within his system. That is part of coaching. He can take players that would not function in one scheme and adapt them to his own. He is right far more than being wrong.

We need a better technical coach, not a just a "leader". That nebulous concept is probably what Garrett is the most good at. He has been characterized as not an X and O coach by Aikman, who should know.

That is what the weakness is right now. They could spend literally the next ten years spinning our wheels trying to assemble a team of all-stars and then hope they all "get it" and in addition remain healthy to win in spite of the lack of value Garrett brings to the table.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I would hope you have learned by now coaching matters. It is not just a talent based sport where you can put better players on the field and allow that coach to get by coasting off of it.

A good coach identifies specifically what players can do and has them do it. They don't waste time with dumb players nor players physically incapable of doing what is necessary within the confines of their scheme. In some cases, they are flexible enough to take the talent and build around it. They are craftsman. They are builders. But they are more importantly architects as well.

Belichick is a big exception because he is one of the best at evaluating what talent can do within his system. That is part of coaching. He can take players that would not function in one scheme and adapt them to his own. He is right far more than being wrong.

We need a better technical coach, not a just a "leader". That nebulous concept is probably what Garrett is the most good at. He has been characterized as not an X and O coach by Aikman, who should know.

That is what the weakness is right now. They could spend literally the next ten years spinning our wheels trying to assemble a team of all-stars and then hope they all "get it" and in addition remain healthy to win in spite of the lack of value Garrett brings to the table.

You have said the same things for almost two decades to me and you still have reading comprehension issues. I never said coaching doesn't matter. I have said over and over that if the player cannot execute, it doesn't make a tinker's damn who the coach is.

Your point about being a craftsman is fine. But you'll have a difficult time convincing me this coach can take Dez and suddenly rejuvenate his foot speed or add brain cells to get him to run more than three routes.

Evaluating talent is the name of the game. Getting players that can fit into your scheme. Jimmy was great at that. Both he and Belicick are motivators. Opie is just a yes man for Jerry. He did nothing to change the scheme for the Atlanta game. He allowed those sacks because he couldn't coach em up.

Maybe one day you will read what I type and stop with this lecture on coaching because you think you understand what I said. You have yet to get it right. I have told you this since the late 90's.

Reactions: BAT

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
You have said the same things for almost two decades to me and you still have reading comprehension issues. I never said coaching doesn't matter. I have said over and over that if the player cannot execute, it doesn't make a tinker's damn who the coach is.

Your point about being a craftsman is fine. But you'll have a difficult time convincing me this coach can take Dez and suddenly rejuvenate his foot speed or add brain cells to get him to run more than three routes.

Evaluating talent is the name of the game. Getting players that can fit into your scheme. Jimmy was great at that. Both he and Belicick are motivators. Opie is just a yes man for Jerry. He did nothing to change the scheme for the Atlanta game. He allowed those sacks because he couldn't coach em up.

Maybe one day you will read what I type and stop with this lecture on coaching because you think you understand what I said. You have yet to get it right. I have told you this since the late 90's.
This is fine but I will remind you that you were still cranking out this particular drumbeat when Dave Campo was the coach. And since the late 1990s, coaching matters even more since teams rarely have the resources to remake the roster every few years. Talent evaluation is all at the core, but good coaches know what they are evaluating just as much as they come up with the tactical plans.

Garrett has failed because he plays right along with the cadence of the Joneses. He likes to say all the right things, but when it comes down to it, he is not an effective teacher.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
This is fine but I will remind you that you were still cranking out this particular drumbeat when Dave Campo was the coach. And since the late 1990s, coaching matters even more since teams rarely have the resources to remake the roster every few years. Talent evaluation is all at the core, but good coaches know what they are evaluating just as much as they come up with the tactical plans.

Garrett has failed because he plays right along with the cadence of the Joneses. He likes to say all the right things, but when it comes down to it, he is not an effective teacher.

I suppose you missed the umpteen times I have said the only difference between Garrett and Campo was Garrett had a quarterback that could function. Drop Tony from Garrett's roster and he goes 5-11 three years in a row instead of 8-8. Or maybe he is even worse than Campo.. Conversely, give Campo Romo and he would not have tossed out thee 5-11 seasons.

It's like you selectively take something I say and toss out the part where I have said what you said in this post right here and ignore every bit of it.

If the player cannot execute, the coach doesn't matter. Now look past the surface and see what that means, Alex. If you get crappy players that cannot execute your coach cannot coach em up enough to make a difference. I have said that for twenty years and you have come over the top to essentially say the same thing, but ignore my point.

He is not an effective teacher because they continually drafted the wrong players. The talent analysis for this team was so poor all the years Jerry was the final word, that they sunk in the mire of lack of talent. Parcells came in and got a Campo team to win. But then it went south. Then Parcells hauled butt when Tony muffed that field goal. But Parcells brought in some talent from the Giants. Enough so to be able to win some games.

The reason the team has failed is the talent acquisition for the most part. Then putting crappy coaches in place. That combination of players and coaches who are not top flight is why they have failed.

Kalyan

Reaction score
He is around through the 2018 season no matter what happens this year. We get blown out the rest of the games. it does not matter.
Jerry has his built in excuses.
Just wonder what they may be next season if all don't go so well, yet again.
The problem is, we wilk qualify for playoffs and lose in first round, and next year after that we will be 8-8 and miss playoffs, and our OL will be losing their prime years and we wilm be in rebuilding mode, we have seen this already in the last 10 years right?

stiletto

Reaction score
The problem is, we wilk qualify for playoffs and lose in first round, and next year after that we will be 8-8 and miss playoffs, and our OL will be losing their prime years and we wilm be in rebuilding mode, we have seen this already in the last 10 years right?

Teams can turn it around with the right coach. Look at the freakin' Rams....just need a guy who actually has some TALENT as a coach.