My Doctor Gave Me Bad News Yesterday

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Cancer. Still haven't told anyone in my family. I don't think I'll seek treatment. I've done everything I want to accomplish, seen every part of the world I care to see, and then some. I think I'm done. I'm not looking for well wishes so keep them to yourselves, as well as your prayers. I'm not looking for sympathy. Just seeing if actually writing it down will wake me up from my shock.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Cancer. Still haven't told anyone in my family. I don't think I'll seek treatment. I've done everything I want to accomplish, seen every part of the world I care to see, and then some. I think I'm done. I'm not looking for well wishes so keep them to yourselves, as well as your prayers. I'm not looking for sympathy. Just seeing if actually writing it down will wake me up from my shock.

Sorry to hear this JoeKing...

I'll respect your wishes and just tell you that you have to do what's right for you...

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Joe never underestimate the power of prayer. My dad had prostate cancer. We as a family prayed with full belief their is a greater power in us. He is cancer free today. Bless you and stay positive. I'll be praying for you and ill continue to do so from now on. Lotsa love to you buddy.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Thanks Joe for all the good you’ve done so far in life.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
But is everyone done with you?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Joe never underestimate the power of prayer. My dad had prostate cancer. We as a family prayed with full belief their is a greater power in us. He is cancer free today. Bless you and stay positive. I'll be praying for you and ill continue to do so from now on. Lotsa love to you buddy.

Thanks, it's not that I am underestimating the power of prayer. My mom had breast cancer. We as a family prayed as well with full belief their is a greater power in us. Two year after being diagnosed, she was told she was cancer free. Six months later a spot was found on her pancreas, the doctor that found it just assumed it was pancreatic cancer and told her she had little time remaining. We refused to accept that news so we sought a second opinion in Dallas. There they found that the cancer cells were not pancreas cancer cells but rather breasts cancer cells that had migrated elsewhere. The difference is how it is treated and likelihood to beat it. Pancreatic cancer has a low survival rate while her cancer(metastatic breast cancer) was much more survivable. She elected to have chemo and it worked for a while. Eight more years she fought cancer with that spot on her pancreas. She defied the odds making it that long. But she grew tired of fighting and the chemo took its toll on her after having it for that long. It stopped working and so the doctor stopped treatment and advised us to seek hospice care to keep her comfy. She choose home hospice care and died two days later, one month short of her 70th birthday. That 10 years was hell on my family and I dare not put my family through that. I'd rather just fade away. Being with my mom sounds nice. I miss her so.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Your choice is your choice. It was brave to post this on the board.

I just want you to know that. As somebody who works in healthcare, cancer treatment has come a long way. And I’m sure you’re in shock and awe right now. But if there are treatment options, at least hear them out.

There are a lot of wonderful people involved in healthcare that have seen it all, doctors, nurses, case managers, therapists, etc that have experience helping people in times of need and that can help you and support you though it, if there is treatment available.

But ultimately it’s your life and choice which route you choose to go.

best wishes

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Joe, I don't know anything about you or your condition, but there are alternative treatments out there that don't include chemo or radiation. Give yourself some time to recover from the shock of the diagnosis and allow the strength of your faith, family and friends lift you to a better place. Peace to you, Brother. We are here for you.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Treat it aggressively. You can always change your mind later, but you can’t go back and get treatment if you decide after the fact to fight it.

You should also be aware that many cancers affect mood and that in turn can affect your approach to treatment. So you can’t necessarily judge your emotional reaction right now. Better to preserve options in case you need them.

Plus, it’ll be fun to watch Coach Richard win it all next season.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I am of the same opinion but my doctor says if I do nothing, that's not the case. Thanks, that kind of cheered me up.

Joe, my wife had pretty bad cervical cancer and is doing great today, 15 years later. My best friends wife had stage 4 colon cancer and beat it although missing some GI tract.

I don’t know what kind you have or the progression, but it is not a death sentence these days. Take some time and think this thing through, too early to check-out :thumbup:

nobody

Reaction score

Dang. Well, you need to do what you feel is best for you. If that means not seeking treatment and enjoying what time you have left, or seeking treatment and hoping it works...that's all up to you. Were I you, I'd be ready for some pissed off relatives when you tell them that you aren't seeking treatment. It's something you should spend a little time thinking about before making the decision, as your family might bring up points you haven't considered.....but in the end, again, it's up to you and what is best for you.

Good luck and may God smile upon you in any case.