My dreams of drafting DJ Moore shattered

Torturedcowboysfan

Reaction score
We should keep dez and draft dj Moore. Every great q.v. needs a young q.v. to grow with and develope chemistry with for a decade.
Dj Moore can play with dak fir 10 years. Let him learn from Hurns and dez for 2 years. Then sign dez for a small contract to let him retire with us. Trade beasley and t will to make room for Moore.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Signing Hurns and the other guy changes nothing really. If they want a WR in the top 100, they will make room for them

Fair enough I suppose, but I still like the signing of Hurns. Plus, Deontay Burnett in round 4 or 5 would still be an amazing choice.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Can't see Hurns adds much, if as Broaddus says "Hurns doesn’t have great playing speed or quickness. Where he does show some quickness is his inside routes from the slot. It takes him a little time to get going down the field. He doesn’t play with much vertical separation"

If true, then who on the Cowboys is he really better than? Beasley and Switzer have slot quickness, and Dez already doesn't get much vertical separation.

I hope the Cowboys know something about him they're not saying...

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Can't see Hurns adds much, if as Broaddus says "Hurns doesn’t have great playing speed or quickness. Where he does show some quickness is his inside routes from the slot. It takes him a little time to get going down the field. He doesn’t play with much vertical separation"

If true, then who on the Cowboys is he really better than? Beasley and Switzer have slot quickness, and Dez already doesn't get much vertical separation.

I suppose he replaces TWill.

Torturedcowboysfan

Reaction score

Broaddus isn’t a good scout. Look at his draft evaluations. He thought Jonathan cooper was the best guard in the 2013 draft.
Hurns isn’t slow, but he’s not a deep threat. He’s like dez when it comes to speed. He’s in. A class with t will. He’s better than t will. He’ll catch in traffic . He’ll catch bad passes better than Williams which will help dak because he’s not accurate. He also provides leverage against dez should they ask him to take a pay cut.

jay94

Reaction score
Hurns is a solid 2, but I still want to know more of the exacts of his contract. 12 mil sounds rich for me, but he is definitely an upgrade over Williams, so overall I am happy with the move fwiw.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I'll give him a chance like anybody, but I don't see that Hurns is that much of an improvement over what the Cowboys have, a little maybe, but seems more like "let's see what he's got, might luck out"...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Hurns is a solid 2, but I still want to know more of the exacts of his contract. 12 mil sounds rich for me, but he is definitely an upgrade over Williams, so overall I am happy with the move fwiw.

None of his money is guaranteed, per Sportrac. No signing bonus, either. Looks like a pretty low risk to me...

Bluefin

Reaction score

None of his money is guaranteed, per Sportrac. No signing bonus, either. Looks like a pretty low risk to me...

The Allen Hurns contract included a $2.5M signing bonus, which is absolutely guaranteed, as it's already been paid.

But that was the only guaranteed money included in the contract.

The 2018 salary cap for Hurns is currently $4.375M.

Hurns can earn $1M total in per game roster bonuses, but only 10 of them ($0.625K) count as LTBE incentives this year with the other 6 ($0.375K) not counting as UTBE incentives due to not playing a full season in 2016 with Jacksonville.

The max cap value this year is $4.75M if Hurns is on the 46 man game day roster for all 16 regular season games this season.

Dallas must exercise its 2019 second year option on Hurns' contract by the final day of the 2018 league year to keep the wideout from becoming an unrestricted free agent. There would be $1.25M in dead money in 2019 if Hurns' option is not picked up.

Hurns has a $4M base salary in 2019, $1.25M in signing bonus proration, and can again earn up to $1M total in per game roster bonuses. The initial '19 cap number will depend upon how many games he plays this season, as that number of roster bonuses will be considered LTBE incentives and will count automatically. Hurns can also earn up to $1M in playing time incentives in 2019. He can get $500K for logging 75% of the offensive snaps and another $500k for hitting 85% of the offensive snaps.

So, the 2019 cap number will be somewhere between $5.25M and $6.25M depending upon how many games Hurns is active for this season. The max value in '19 will be $7.25M if Hurns dresses for every game and plays 85% of the offensive snaps.

It's a fair contract, IMO.