My experience on yestersday's game along with my thoughts (censored, of course)

Dallas22

Reaction score
Ok, I am sure I'll catch a lot of flack from some on here but here it goes anyways. Do TRUE Playoff teams let games like yesterday SLIP AWAY??? I know that everything was stacked against us BEFORE the game began: the tough Steeler Defense, the cold weather (WHAH!), the long list of injuries that they've amassed throughtout the season (as well as the new one to Barber) & last BUT NEVER least, the horrible, cup-cake coaching led by Wade "Redneck" Phillips. Even with all of these things against us I still held up hope that MAYBE we could stay in the game with Pittsburgh.

Now, after the game starts and we play horribly on Offense, mainly due to the poor decisions by Garrett & Romo (not the Steeler D) we VERY LUCKILY stay at a 3-3 tie at halftime. Our defense MUST get A LOT of credit (although no INTs again is a continuing dissapointment) and in the second half they played great as well. After TRYING to give the game away with seemingly turnover after turnover by the Offense & our wonderful special teams we were still right in the game.

Hopes were riding high when the offense woke up some in the 3rd quarter and got the score to 13-3 as well as our defense coming up with a HUGE goalline stop. Wonderful, except that our punter and special teams coverage AFTER the goalline stop gave them the ball BACK at our 25... nice, they get a FG and pull within 7 points under 7 minute to play. I'm thinking "here we go again", although I'm also thinking, what a way to battle all of these "demons" of December and how we can't finish a game that now we SHOULD win by taking down the mighty Steelers in their home with 1 nice drive to end the game. I guess the "Here we go again" logic was stuck in the Cowboys players & coaches heads again. Giving the ball to the Steelers and letting them drive on our Defense was embarresing. Our defenders had no clue what to do on that drive, it was like they were in a haze... I just can't seem to lay full blame on the players at this point - THIS IS A COACHING PROBLEM. Why not call time out and gather your defense together? Bad coaching, that's why. All of us knew what was going to happen... the Steelers were going to tie up the game at 13-13... we ALL knew this. Watch the game again and see how confused our defense was on the final drive by the Steelers. It's great that Wade did a good job coaching the defense for 3.5 quarters but we need a full 4 to WIN! As the Steelers were driving I said this to the other Cowboys fans around me, "We are going to lose this game. The reason is that after they score a TD to tie the game up at 13, their defense will force a turnover and we won't even have a shot to get it into overtime." I am a realist but I can't predict the future... I said this because I felt in my body and knew in my mind that this game was collapsing in front of my eyes and this Cowboys team & coaches doesn't have what it takes not only to be a Playoff/Super Bowl contender, but also the HEART or DRIVE to put away a game like this one. I don't need to continue on because everyone knows what happened next, another HUGE blow to our playoff chances :(

Here's the deal, we can pick any of the negatives stacked against us and blame it on that but then you'd be ignoring the TRUTH... The truth is that TRUE Playoff caliber & Super Bowl-hyped teams DON'T LOSE THESE TYPES OF MUST WIN GAMES SLIP AWAY. Me and my boy are coming to Dallas this Friday for my first & last time to Texas Stadium. We'll still cheer for our Cowboys until we lose our voice but we are also realistic about this team no matter how badly we WANT them to make the Playoffs. I'm going to enjoy myself in Dallas and at the Cowboys game on Sunday night... I know we can beat the Giants and obviously I HOPE that we do (If we don't this season is officially done), but it sure would've been more fun going out to Dallas knowing that THIS Cowboy team had won their TOUGHEST game to date against the Pittsburgh Steelers in December, in the cold, with all these injuries & with our poor coaching when the game REALLY MATTERED... Unfortunatly, this game was just given away along with MAYBE the season.
:shoot6:

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
Dallas22;2474180 said:
Ok, I am sure I'll catch a lot of flack from some on here but here it goes anyways. Do TRUE Playoff teams let games like yesterday SLIP AWAY??? I know that everything was stacked against us BEFORE the game began: the tough Steeler Defense, the cold weather (WHAH!), the long list of injuries that they've amassed throughtout the season (as well as the new one to Barber) & last BUT NEVER least, the horrible, cup-cake coaching led by Wade "Redneck" Phillips. Even with all of these things against us I still held up hope that MAYBE we could stay in the game with Pittsburgh.

Now, after the game starts and we play horribly on Offense, mainly due to the poor decisions by Garrett & Romo (not the Steeler D) we VERY LUCKILY stay at a 3-3 tie at halftime. Our defense MUST get A LOT of credit (although no INTs again is a continuing dissapointment) and in the second half they played great as well. After TRYING to give the game away with seemingly turnover after turnover by the Offense & our wonderful special teams we were still right in the game.

Hopes were riding high when the offense woke up some in the 3rd quarter and got the score to 13-3 as well as our defense coming up with a HUGE goalline stop. Wonderful, except that our punter and special teams coverage AFTER the goalline stop gave them the ball BACK at our 25... nice, they get a FG and pull within 7 points under 7 minute to play. I'm thinking "here we go again", although I'm also thinking, what a way to battle all of these "demons" of December and how we can't finish a game that now we SHOULD win by taking down the mighty Steelers in their home with 1 nice drive to end the game. I guess the "Here we go again" logic was stuck in the Cowboys players & coaches heads again. Giving the ball to the Steelers and letting them drive on our Defense was embarresing. Our defenders had no clue what to do on that drive, it was like they were in a haze... I just can't seem to lay full blame on the players at this point - THIS IS A COACHING PROBLEM. Why not call time out and gather your defense together? Bad coaching, that's why. All of us knew what was going to happen... the Steelers were going to tie up the game at 13-13... we ALL knew this. Watch the game again and see how confused our defense was on the final drive by the Steelers. It's great that Wade did a good job coaching the defense for 3.5 quarters but we need a full 4 to WIN! As the Steelers were driving I said this to the other Cowboys fans around me, "We are going to lose this game. The reason is that after they score a TD to tie the game up at 13, their defense will force a turnover and we won't even have a shot to get it into overtime." I am a realist but I can't predict the future... I said this because I felt in my body and knew in my mind that this game was collapsing in front of my eyes and this Cowboys team & coaches doesn't have what it takes not only to be a Playoff/Super Bowl contender, but also the HEART or DRIVE to put away a game like this one. I don't need to continue on because everyone knows what happened next, another HUGE blow to our playoff chances :(

Here's the deal, we can pick any of the negatives stacked against us and blame it on that but then you'd be ignoring the TRUTH... The truth is that TRUE Playoff caliber & Super Bowl-hyped teams DON'T LOSE THESE TYPES OF MUST WIN GAMES SLIP AWAY. Me and my boy are coming to Dallas this Friday for my first & last time to Texas Stadium. We'll still cheer for our Cowboys until we lose our voice but we are also realistic about this team no matter how badly we WANT them to make the Playoffs. I'm going to enjoy myself in Dallas and at the Cowboys game on Sunday night... I know we can beat the Giants and obviously I HOPE that we do (If we don't this season is officially done), but it sure would've been more fun going out to Dallas knowing that THIS Cowboy team had won their TOUGHEST game to date against the Pittsburgh Steelers in December, in the cold, with all these injuries & with our poor coaching when the game REALLY MATTERED... Unfortunatly, this game was just given away along with MAYBE the season.

I assume by your post that that is a picture of you in your avatar- congrats on mastering typing at such a young age.

But grow up.

kramskoi

Reaction score
Dallas22;2474180 said:

for a playoff run on the road, they really needed that game...i'm of similar opinion in regards to your post...the Cowboys are setting themselves up for a scrap at the Linc with a team who knows how to finish an important game with playoff implications.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Dallas22;2474180 said:
Me and my boy are coming to Dallas this Friday for my first & last time to Texas Stadium.
Don't forget the epic vids of you guys screaming at the horrible, stupid coaches again. :thumbsup:

RoadRunner

Reaction score
5Countem5;2474211 said:
I assume by your post that that is a picture of you in your avatar- congrats on mastering typing at such a young age.

But grow up.

Why do you have to go and be a jerk to the guy like this? I thought his post summed it up pretty good, and there isn't anything in there that isn't what the vast majority of us feel.

So again, why do you feel the need to be a jerk to him?

Dallas22

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2474233 said:
Don't forget the epic vids of you guys screaming at the horrible, stupid coaches again. :thumbsup:

Glad you remembered... thanks, we will be there CHEERING instead of hoping to get an autograph from a Cowboys player like you probably did... good luck.

Dallas22

Reaction score
RoadRunner;2474309 said:
Why do you have to go and be a jerk to the guy like this? I thought his post summed it up pretty good, and there isn't anything in there that isn't what the vast majority of us feel.

Thanks RR... I just didn't feel like responding to his post :)

30yrheel

Reaction score
RoadRunner;2474309 said:

because some people on here get their thrills by trashing others.
i also think he made some good points.

zeromaster

Reaction score
RoadRunner;2474309 said:

Joining in July of this year might have factored into it :D

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
30yrheel;2474608 said:
because some people on here get their thrills by trashing others.
i also think he made some good points.

No...

Getting sick and tired of the whining has more to do with it than anything...This season wasn't lost yesterday and to think so is an over reaction.

Dallas controls it's destiny, what more can you ask?

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
5Countem5;2474667 said:
No...

Getting sick and tired of the whining has more to do with it than anything...This season wasn't lost yesterday and to think so is an over reaction.

Then don't respond:eek:

Dallas22

Reaction score
5Countem5;2474667 said:
No...

It's getting REAL close to the end of our season, you gotta be able to see that, right? I said that this loss MAYBE cost us the season. We still have a chance to get in but do we look like a team that can finish in big games against good teams on a consistant basis??? The answer is no, so that makes losing in the Playoffs a good probablility, assuming we get IN the playoffs at all. Just being realistic, not whinning... get your words right.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
Dallas22;2474752 said:
It's getting REAL close to the end of our season, you gotta be able to see that, right? I said that this loss MAYBE cost us the season. We still have a chance to get in but do we look like a team that can finish in big games against good teams on a consistant basis??? The answer is no, so that makes losing in the Playoffs a good probablility, assuming we get IN the playoffs at all. Just being realistic, not whinning... get your words right.

That's insane ...

Dallas lost a game to the #1 defense, in a hostile environment with the weather beating down what this team does best (passing the ball)...

It all came down to the last minute against a very good team who got all the breaks, the calls and injuries caught up to Dallas.

If you wanna be gloom and doom and say this game is a harbinger of future losses, then fine, do it. But some of us know that a bad loss like this can propel a team as easily as it can sink one.

The glass is always half empty for some of you, I guess...

Dallas22

Reaction score
5Countem5;2475065 said:
The glass is always half empty for some of you, I guess...

It's funny how some of you guys get when a fan of the Cowboys critizes them. It's like, "you guys ALWAYS... blah, blah, blah (some negative comment about the poster)... quit on your team... etc". Maybe it's because we are spoiled to be fans of the greatest team in football and expect to have great winning seasons every year. The truth is that those teams that have "IT" win these games like the one in Pittsburgh. Teams like the one that the Cowboys currently have don't have "IT"... not yet. They still HAVE to prove that they can win in December & win in the Playoffs (I don't care about the post Aikman years, just these past 3 Romo years). Yes, they played well and still might sneek into the playoffs but I wanted to see the Cowboys hold onto this victory against the Steelers with all of the odds against them before the start of the game... this would've given me (and I can only speak for my feelings & opinions) great hope that the Cowboys can not only make the Playoffs but also do well in the Playoffs. Unfortunatly, they didn't do it and of course this will stack up more doubt in MY mind that the Cowboys have not started to get past that monkey on their back. Just because the Giants did the unbelievable last season doesn't mean it will happen to the Cowboys this year... I mean, that kind of run happens once every multitute of years and it most probably won't happen 2 years in a row.

I am a staunch Dallas Cowboys supporter and mega-fan but again, I'm also realistic and know what I saw out there on Sunday. I hope that they fix this ship in a very short and prove my feelings wrong. We shall see... GO COWBOYS!!!

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The team choked, plain and simple. No need to sugar coat anything here.

Is the season over???.......of course not, we are the 6th seed right now.

What the loss did was take away any margin for error. If we win out, then we go to the playoffs. If we win 2 out of 3, we are going to need some help to get in. We win only 1 or none, then season is over.

As far as the argument that playoff teams dont blow games in December??? The fact that almost every Wildcard contender lost this weekend along with us shows that playoff teams DO LOSE GAMES IN DECEMBER since we all lost!!!

rkstevens

Reaction score
Yep, I agree with Beast from the East. I think it's so overrated when people say "true playoff" and "SuperBowl contender" teams don't do this or that or that they don't lose big games. Yes, the Cowboys lost a big game that they probably should have won -- a road game that they went into the 4th quarter up by 10, against the #1 defense in the NFL and having already committed 4 turnovers. To say that losing that game proves the Cowboys aren't a playoff team or can't win a SuperBowl is overblown. Playoff teams do lose December games. Playoff teams do lose big games. As a matter of fact, SuperBowl teams also lose December and big games.

Look at the Colts two years ago. Always known for being unable to win in the playoffs in bad weather conditions. Peyton Manning was considered the best regular season QB who couldn't win the big game. The Colts were 10-2 and needed to beat Jacksonville in a divisional game to keep pace with San Diego for a chance at the best record in the AFC and first round bye. The had just lost to Tennessee the week before in another divisional game. They proceeded to get thumped by Jacksonville 44-17. They lose 3 out of 5 games in December and end up having to host a Wild Card game. They win that one and we all know how the rest of the playoffs worked out for them.

Look at Pittsburgh three years ago. They were a team that hadn't done anything with a rookie QB. They had lost 2 games in a row and were a game behind Cincinnati and played them at home where a win would have given them the division lead. They proceeded to lose that game, going to 7-5. I'm sure anyone looking at that would have said they're not a true playoff team or had no chance to win a SuperBowl. Lo and behold, they win 4 in a row and win every game in the playoffs on the road.

My point is that many fans draw too much out of a single win or loss and then go overboard saying that single game proves the team is a true contender or just a pretender. This loss proves nothing more than that the team couldn't get it done in the last quarter of the game. It doesn't mean the team can't win the next three games and make the playoffs, any more than the big win over Green Bay last year meant that the Cowboys were SuperBowl bound.

The Cowboys have as much talent if not more than the next three teams they play and can win every game. Whether they will or not remains to be seen... But this loss to Pittsburgh doesn't tell us anything more than that the Cowboys lost to Pittsburgh.

Dallas22

Reaction score
rkstevens;2476218 said:
My point is that many fans draw too much out of a single win or loss and then go overboard saying that single game proves the team is a true contender or just a pretender. This loss proves nothing more than that the team couldn't get it done in the last quarter of the game. It doesn't mean the team can't win the next three games and make the playoffs, any more than the big win over Green Bay last year meant that the Cowboys were SuperBowl bound.

The Cowboys have as much talent if not more than the next three teams they play and can win every game. Whether they will or not remains to be seen... But this loss to Pittsburgh doesn't tell us anything more than that the Cowboys lost to Pittsburgh.

You guys make some good points but it's not just 1 game or even 1 season, or a coaching staff that is not proven... it's the past 3 seasons in a row and a poor coaching staff that seems to limit our chances to get and advance in the Playoffs. I still will need PROOF that these Cowboys can get it done when they have to... as of this point, over a 3 year span, they have not done this and that is what is obvious and true.

Again, I reiterate, that the Cowboys obviously do have a shot to get into the Playoffs and I can only hope that they can get it together for a playoff run but does it really seem that this will happen with what were've seen over the past 3 seasons??? It's a pattern that will always hang over these Cowboys heads UNTIL they break on through and at least win 1 Playoff game. Until then the pressure and the monkey only gets bigger & heavier on their collective backs... you can't tell me that you disagree with everything that I said; there are some very valid points that I'm making but still, as always, GO COWBOYS!!!

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Dallas22;2474180 said:
Do TRUE Playoff teams let games like yesterday SLIP AWAY???

That game could have been our "Giants vs Pats" regular season game from last year....

The end(SB win) result was good, no?