My first pet player

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Corleone;4116637 said:
Can someone tell me why people say "pet" or "pet cat"? Not sure where that comes from.

It was a Parcells saying for a player that a scout fell in love with.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
supercowboy8;4117139 said:
because everyone knows ever team lies about their players size. Every player is heavier and taller than they really are on the roster, why teams do this, I don't know but its what they do. NCAA, and even the NFL does this.

Very true.

And the reason why college sports info departments fabricate/approximate favorably size/weight/speed numbers is because no one is policing them.

There is no drawback or incentive to not post phony numbers.

It's like when they ask you your height or weight at the DMV, most guys will add an inch or two, while most ladies will say they're 5-10 lbs lighter than they really are. Nobody is checking.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
realtick;4129677 said:

It's like when they ask you your height or weight at the DMV, most guys will add an inch or two, while most ladies will say they're 5-10 lbs lighter than they really are. Nobody is checking.

lol whats the point of that? If youre claiming something your not they can just size you up instead of you whipping out your wallet.

Or just do what we did in school. Stand face to face and one kid takes his hand and goes from the top of his head to the top of yours. While not at all moving his hand up or down.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;4129682 said:
lol whats the point of that? If youre claiming something your not they can just size you up instead of you whipping out your wallet.

Or just do what we did in school. Stand face to face and one kid takes his hand and goes from the top of his head to the top of yours. While not at all moving his hand up or down.

Huh?

When's the last time you've seen anyone do that as an adult. People fib/tell "white lies" for their own vanity.

Yes, if someone wanted to press you on it and you obliged, you could go to the office breakroom and have a tell-of-the-tape.

Do you often get in arguments with ladies telling them they look 10-15 lbs heavier than their drivers licensce states?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Teams don't lie about weight as much as they do height, so while he may be 173, if he's listed at 185, there's no reason to not believe it. Not like anyone of us can tell the difference on TV

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I know y'all just seen my boy Claiborne make that play.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
CATCH17;4224325 said:
I know y'all just seen my boy Claiborne make that play.

how did he do today in the big game? I missed it:bang2:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
jblaze2004;4224418 said:
how did he do today in the big game? I missed it:bang2:

Played great.

Has to be the top corner in the nation.

visionary

Reaction score
he is god but like last year, we dont need CBs

we need

OL
DL
ILB

Sifillest

Reaction score
you feel confident going into next season with an aging newman and a soft jenkins? I don't.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Sifillest;4224597 said:
you feel confident going into next season with an aging newman and a soft jenkins? I don't.

We need so much on this team that if Claiborne is the best player left we should take him.

Are we really going to use our 1st draft pick on an interior OLinemen?

supercowboy8

Reaction score
CATCH17;4224650 said:
We need so much on this team that if Claiborne is the best player left we should take him.

if that interior OL is a great player then I hope so. I have Claiborne higher on my list so if we took him then I would be ok with that, but it would be hard to pass on DeCastro, who is the only interior OL that will be around where Claiborne will be on the board.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It seems that Rob Ryan likes bigger corners; however, it seems that small, quick receivers like Desean Jackson give the Cowboys more problems than the big receivers.

I would like to see them get a super quick slot cornerback in the draft. I think that Scandrick is actually better when he plays on the outside than in the slot. He has elite speed but NOT elite quickness.

The 2 CBs in the draft that appear to have the best quickness are Janoris Jenkins and Cliff Harris. Both are going to go much lower in the draft than their talent level due to off-the-field issues.

I just don't see Dre Kirkpatrick covering Desean Jackson. He might make a great FS, however.

Corleone;4116637 said:
Can someone tell me why people say "pet" or "pet cat"? Not sure where that comes from.

It comes from Jerry-Speak. He often talks about a coach or scout having a "pet cat" in the draft.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
xwalker;4224731 said:
It seems that Rob Ryan likes bigger corners; however, it seems that small, quick receivers like Desean Jackson give the Cowboys more problems than the big receivers.

I would like to see them get a super quick slot cornerback in the draft. I think that Scandrick is actually better when he plays on the outside than in the slot. He has elite speed but NOT elite quickness.

The 2 CBs in the draft that appear to have the best quickness are Janoris Jenkins and Cliff Harris. Both are going to go much lower in the draft than their talent level due to off-the-field issues.

I just don't see Dre Kirkpatrick covering Desean Jackson. He might make a great FS, however.

It comes from Jerry-Speak. He often talks about a coach or scout having a "pet cat" in the draft.

If there are concerns over Claiborne's lack of bulk, where does that leave Cliff Harris who is even more slight in build?

I'm not advocating taking a guy like Kilpatrick, but the same matchup problems you may incure having a big corner like Kilpatrick on smaller/quicker receivers, you would have similiar issues matching up a guy like Cliff Harris on the league's bigger/stronger recievers.

Harris.jpg

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
realtick;4224828 said:
If there are concerns over Claiborne's lack of bulk, where does that leave Cliff Harris who is even more slight in build?

I'm not advocating taking a guy like Kilpatrick, but the same matchup problems you may incure having a big corner like Kilpatrick on smaller/quicker receivers, you would have similiar issues matching up a guy like Cliff Harris on the league's bigger/stronger recievers.

Harris.jpg

We play at least 8 games a year in a dome stadium.

Give me the track star over the big corner.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;4224859 said:
We play at least 8 games a year in a dome stadium.

Give me the track star over the big corner.

Huh?

What does a dome have to do with playing the many bigger receivers in the league and not to mention the run?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
realtick;4224828 said:

The difference is that Kirkpatrick will go at least 1 round earlier than Harris...maybe 2 rounds due to small size and off-the-field issues.

If Harris falls to the 3rd, then he would be a good pick, IMO. He could be the #3 corner and punt returner.

If Janoris Jenkins falls to the 2nd, then he would be good value.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
CATCH17;4224650 said:

If it is a stud interior lineman like C Peter Konz or G David DeCastro, then yes. This year is super stacked at CB. We can still find great value there in rounds 2-4.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
JonJon;4229760 said:
If it is a stud interior lineman like C Peter Konz or G David DeCastro, then yes. This year is super stacked at CB. We can still find great value there in rounds 2-4.

I'd love to get Janoris Jenkins but can we take that guy with his off the field problems?

If you could do a trade down and still get Decastro that would be nice.

Decastro, Jenkins, and possibly another 2nd. That would be nice.

This may be a nice year for us to trade down.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I did it again folks.

Last year my first guy I noticed was Tyron Smith and this year it was Mo Claiborne.

Im becoming the Cowboys good luck charm.