My meaningless thoughts on the game...

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
- I wasn't upset with the Romo interception. That to me was a heckuva play by Keith Rivers. OTOH, I was ticked off at the fumble (we had the ball starting the second half, protect the ball at all costs) and the errant throws. Last week there was a lot of talk of Romo having errant throws, which I didn't think was the case (and still don't), but today he was off for sure.

- If there's a silver lining here I would say that for an off day, Romo still wound up with a 106.2 QB rating. Now, I don't think he played up to that rating, but for an off day it wasn't catastrophically bad. And Dallas can take that because if he has a catastrophically bad game, we're not likely to win this year with this defense. At least this keeps Dallas in the game. And to his credit, right after the interception he stepped up and hit Owens for the TD.

- I think this game further proves the point that the offense runs at its best when Owens gets going early. Witten had a nice day (8 catches, 79 yards) and the run offense had big yards today, but I can't say this is the best effort from the offense. When Owens gets going, opposing defense make drastic changes to account for him.

- Good to see Montrae Holland in there. In my game preview post I said that this is the game where Wade could experiment a little...particularly with Holland and pressing the corners. Well, one out of two ain't bad...I guess.

- This team lacks speed on defense and Anthony Henry I thought looked horrendous. If the pressure doesn't get there, the defense is screwed. I understand it's Wade's defensive philosophy and I like the blitz as much as anybody, but I think he needs to change things up. Teams pretty much see the soft coverage from the corners and go right into quick pass mode and the corners can't stop it.

- Pacman is coming around. Jenkins and Scandrick looked to have regressed today. I'm not sure what's going on with Anthony Henry, he seemed to really click to the defense last year...now he's an easy target.

- The special teams reared its ugly head and you can thank Barbie Carpenter for the second big return allowed. I've been pretty happy with the special teams coverage this year, but it seems like they are due to allow a big one once a game and usually at those moments where a Dallas stop on defense and another score puts the game out of reach.

- I still think the staff is learning how to use Felix. I think I would've like to have seen him more today as I believe sometimes some tailbacks get hot and some get cold and Marion was getting cold for awhile and Felix was having a field day.

- I think we can all say that this wasn't one of the better performances by the offense and they still scored 31 points, had 6.0 yards per play.

- The defense didn't look any different to me, except for the pass rush struggling. Canty and Spears don't do much...except Spears is playing the run pretty well. Teams double Ware and you have to hope that Ratliff (who is awesome) gets to the QB. The corners still can't guard against short stuff.

- Been 22 games since a Dallas LB intercepted a pass. One of the problems with the defense.

- I gave Kevin Burnett a lot of flak last year, but I like his play this year. Much improved.

- This game had me concerned a bit because you had a defense whose confidence had to be shaken playing against a team with some big name offensive players who has yet to win a game and was 17.5 point underdogs. But a win is a win. I'm still disappointed in the defense's play and probably down on Romo's fumble more than anything...a mistake he just shouldn't make. The Cowboys will have a tough one next week in Arizona, but this team has been far better on the road than home...so who knows. We've got to be the most disgruntled 4-1 fans in the history of earth, but some of it justified. I just hope Wade is willing to make some adjustments to get the ship righted and Romo will work to protect the ball a little better.

YAKUZA

noletime95

Reaction score
I've been wanting Dallas to draft an ILB for a couple years now, primarily because of the lack of overall defensive team speed. In short, I totally agree with that point.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Dallas needs Spencer to emerge into a playmaker this year.

Eskimo

Reaction score
I agree with everything you're saying, especially about Henry - we need to get him off of WRs. He can play the TEs but hopefully we won't see him matched up against small WRs too much anymore.

We just need TNew to get healthy and one of Scandrick/Jenkins to step up so we can put him in a nickel FS role.

Eskimo

Reaction score
noletime95;2310593 said:
I've been wanting Dallas to draft an ILB for a couple years now, primarily because of the lack of overall defensive team speed. In short, I totally agree with that point.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Dallas needs Spencer to emerge into a playmaker this year.

I think Spencer is getting there - by the second half of the season, I think he'll be taking half the snaps with the base defense.

I also agree about increasing the athleticism of our group of ILBs - I would like us to eventually get guys like Pittsburgh - Foote and Farrior.

dre1614

Reaction score
lack of defense team speed? That I don't agree with.

Zach Thomas is fast for a MLB.
Kevin Burnett has good speed for a LB.
DeMarcus Ware has phenomenal speed for a OLB/DE.
Adam Jones is very fast.
Terence Newman is ridiculously fast.
Mike Jenkins is pretty fast
Orlando Scandrick is ridiculously fast.

Woods

Reaction score
You'd think that with Ware, Ellis, Rat, and Spencer, that our pass rush would be more consistent. Even if these guys mentioned above are taken out of the play, someone else should step up (Hatcher?).

Very nice analysis.

I hope our Secondary gets its first Int next game!

khiladi

Reaction score
Greg Ellis no longer needs to be starting, because he is slowing down any progression that Spencer can make. Ellis hasn't done anything that warrants that he start over somebody whose only clear progression is upward and who is playing just as well as Ellis...

Oh yeah... Henry should not be starting anymore...

Eskimo

Reaction score
dre1614;2310609 said:

Adam Jones is very fast.

But Henry and Ellis are on the field alot and are very slow for their positions.

Thomas is more quick than fast which is fine for his position at ILB.

Bradie is okay but he is no speedster and not much of a blitzer.

YRs points about defensive speed are pretty accurate.

noletime95

Reaction score
dre1614;2310609 said:

Adam Jones is very fast.

Zach Thomas has average speed for a LB at this stage of his career IMO. There are a ton of young fast LB's littered across the NFL. Yes, Ware is fast. Spencer isn't that fast, but I believe he can be a playmaker......he's athletic. He needs to be on the field more often IMO.

Yes, the CB's less Henry are all fast. The only guy up the middle with speed, though not blazing, is Hamlin. And he doesn't look like the same guy IMO. There is a lot of space in the middle of the field being covered by guys with average to below average speed.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yakuza Rich;2310501 said:
- I think we can all say that this wasn't one of the better performances by the offense and they still scored 31 points, had 6.0 yards per play.
That is 31 the hard way. Seemed like we have to fight for almost every yard. Take away the TO play and Felix play and we had only 283 yards of offense.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2310679 said:
That is 31 the hard way. Seemed like we have to fight for almost every yard. Take away the TO play and Felix play and we had only 283 yards of offense.

Well then we weren't fighting for every yard then because those were big plays. High scoring offenses usually make more big plays than the rest of the league, so making two big plays isn't out of the ordinary for an offense like Dallas.

Personally I think too many fans are way too worried about the defense. If Dallas could hold teams to say 16 points a game, which isn't exactly shutting down offenses, they'd be almost unstoppable.

YAKUZA

onetrickpony

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2310501 said:
- I just hope Wade is willing to make some adjustments to get the ship righted and Romo will work to protect the ball a little better.

YAKUZA

Tony's fumble was bad but what irked me even more was that he didn't protect the ball better when he scrambled later in the game. Some games I have to wonder where his head is. Bad throws, ints, fumbles, etc, indicate a lack of concentration.

The coaching is also hitting some pot holes. When I, just a casual fan, can look at the formation and down and know exactly where the ball is going on offense and where the hole on defense is going to be you have to expect that guys who do this for a living can see what I see.

When I say I'm a casual fan I mean I'm just a casual football fan when it comes to anyone except my Cowboys. I rarely watch a complete game any other time except maybe the Super Bowl. The Cowboys are my passion but I don't care enough about the game in general to watch any other teams play.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2310679 said:
Yeah, if you take away the playmakers who make big plays...then well....we don't have any playmakers that make big plays.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
Henry was bad today,but the fact the defense got no pressure didn't help,we brought Wade here for he his defensive scheme

so ask yourself is it his scheme or is it the players?

odog422

Reaction score
The special teams reared its ugly head and you can thank Barbie Carpenter for the second big return allowed.

You can also thank Barbie for being scared of getting physical - on the onside kick the ball was right there for him, but it seemed he saw a collision coming and instead of jumping on the ball, just kind of backed up and tried to wall off the kicking team.

The defense didn't look any different to me, except for the pass rush struggling. Canty and Spears don't do much...except Spears is playing the run pretty well. Teams double Ware and you have to hope that Ratliff (who is awesome) gets to the QB.

Where is the Spencer, Ellis, Ware triple pass rush from last year? And why was Ware dropping into coverage more than I've seen all year? Didn't we go through this with Parcells and part of Wade's "sell to Jerry?" To have Ware rushing the passer?

goshan

Reaction score
I thought the corners did play much tighter today (quite a bit of man).

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yakuza Rich;2310731 said:
If Dallas could hold teams to say 16 points a game, which isn't exactly shutting down offenses, they'd be almost unstoppable.
Problem is they aren't.

BTW good OP Rich!