CFZ My offseason plan

GuitarBytes

Reaction score
extend Dak, restructure D-Law and Zack Martin, extend Dorance armstrong, and Jayron Kearse, cut Jordan Lewis,
subtracting the excess from the cap, the cowboys would have around 42M, good money to spend.
designate Zeke and Tyron Smitch as cut after June 1st, which would have an additional 24.5M to sign players in the draft and players left in free agency,
(Tyron can also be released before June 1 and release 9.5M with 8M in dead money, this option adds more money to spend in free agency which is a good option, they could have around 51.5M!!)
put the non-exclusive franchise tag on Pollard, and look for some trade, you can get something for him maybe a second or third round,
sign Terence Steele, and a free agency guard like Will hernandez, or re-sign Connor McGovern, or even go for players like Matt Pryor or Isaac Seumalo.

As for WR, you can go for a player like OBJ, Juju Smith or DJ Chark, to give more depth to the receiving corps.

Look for a DT like Davin Tomlinson, Davin Onyemata or Fletcher Cox in free agency, and re-sign Johnatan Hankins,

look for a CB like Marcus Peters, Patrick Peterson or Cameron Sutton.
if it doesn't ask for much resign LVE LB and Donovan Wilson S

Regarding the draft, I am not a fan of taking a RB in the first round, but I think this player is worth it and due to the situation of Zeke and Pollard, it is a necessity,
My draft for this occasion would be:
Bijan Robinson RB
Rashee Rice WR
Julius Brents CB
Colby Wooden DL
Nick Broeker IOL
Ventrel Miller LB
Trey Palmer WR
Dee Winters LB
Kaevon Merriweather S

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
extend Dak, restructure D-Law and Zack Martin, extend Dorance armstrong, and Jayron Kearse, cut Jordan Lewis,
subtracting the excess from the cap, the cowboys would have around 42M, good money to spend.
designate Zeke and Tyron Smitch as cut after June 1st, which would have an additional 24.5M to sign players in the draft and players left in free agency,
(Tyron can also be released before June 1 and release 9.5M with 8M in dead money, this option adds more money to spend in free agency which is a good option, they could have around 51.5M!!)
put the non-exclusive franchise tag on Pollard, and look for some trade, you can get something for him maybe a second or third round,
sign Terence Steele, and a free agency guard like Will hernandez, or re-sign Connor McGovern, or even go for players like Matt Pryor or Isaac Seumalo.

As for WR, you can go for a player like OBJ, Juju Smith or DJ Chark, to give more depth to the receiving corps.

Look for a DT like Davin Tomlinson, Davin Onyemata or Fletcher Cox in free agency, and re-sign Johnatan Hankins,

Regarding the draft, I am not a fan of taking a RB in the first round, but I think this player is worth it and due to the situation of Zeke and Pollard, it is a necessity,
Bijan Robinson RB
Rashee Rice WR
Julius Brents CB
Colby Wooden DL
Nick Broeker IOL
Ventrel Miller LB
Trey Palmer WR
Dee Winters LB
Kaevon Merriweather S
Excellent work....
Maybe this off season we will spend more in free agency than dumpster diving???

Bigdog

Reaction score
If you put the non exclusive tag on Pollard and another team gives him a better contract and the Cowboys don’t match it, the Cowboys get 2 first round picks. You don’t need to trade him then. I don’t think a team would give up 2 first round picks for him. The draft is too deep at RBs.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Bijan Robinson RB
Rashee Rice WR
Julius Brents CB
Colby Wooden DL
Nick Broeker IOL
Ventrel Miller LB
Trey Palmer WR
Dee Winters LB
Kaevon Merriweather S
I dont understand how you get to 42 mils of cap space just by restructuring DFlaw and Martin and by cutting Lewis.

With both restructured you free ~ 21 mils.
Cutting Lewis will cost you ~ 1 mil
We are now (even with the rollover from 2022) 7,6 mils under the cap.

So you will get to ~ 13 mils. Not bad. But not nearly where you put it.

To your information: Extending Dak, Kearse and Armstrong does do nothing to your cap in 2023 unless you restructure their current contracts in the same step.

Anyways your whole "plan" seems to circle around the idea to push every cost into the future. But you dont spend 1 sec explaining about the ramifications of this approach.

Not a well thought plan. I have to say no.

Last edited:

MyFairLady

Reaction score
We are all in with super Dak. I just hope he doesn't throw up all over himself in the playoffs for the third year in a row.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Bijan Robinson RB
Rashee Rice WR
Julius Brents CB
Colby Wooden DL
Nick Broeker IOL
Ventrel Miller LB
Trey Palmer WR
Dee Winters LB
Kaevon Merriweather S
Obj is most likely going to get 13mil a yr, JuJu atleast 10, chark probably 8-10. So you want this team to pay over 30mil AAV for your wr core with CEeDee most likely signing for 20+ the following yr?

Guarantee you this is not happening.

Then add Tomlinson, Cox, Peter's or Peterson or Sutton.

Release Tyron, who is going to play tackle? Steele tore his acl and mcl in December. When do you think he'll be back?

Extending Lawrence? That made me mad lol

Last edited:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are going to do that. It makes sense to get the cap space when they are one of the better teams in the league.
It makes sense if you're ok not getting to the playoffs for 3 years.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Bijan Robinson RB
Rashee Rice WR
Julius Brents CB
Colby Wooden DL
Nick Broeker IOL
Ventrel Miller LB
Trey Palmer WR
Dee Winters LB
Kaevon Merriweather S
Steele's availability date is unknown. They can't repeat the Gallup scenario of hoping the injured player will be fully functional on the most optimistic timeline.

Your scenario means Josh Ball is the 1st option to start at RT in game 1.

Free Agency comes before the draft. If they don't retain Pollard then they'll have to force a pick at RB early. Drafting for need is the top reason for draft class fails.

Current year cap space has minimal relevance. Teams manage the cap on a multi-year basis. They need to cut Zeke because keeping him adds 10.9M to the total multi-year cap total.

Example:
What if cutting Zeke decreased the 2023 cap space by 4.1M but increased the 2024 cap space by 15M?

It would not matter because they can restructure other contracts to move the 15M of 2024 cap space into 2023.

As fans it would be very difficult to evaluate the multi-year impact of signing an expensive free agent now. Sites like OTC show future cap space but that is only for players under contract for those seasons.

Teams have to project the future years cap by estimating the costs of a full 53 man roster plus practice squad and players on IR. We as fans can't do that with OTC.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My offseason plan is to smoke meat, drink a few beers, watch some baseball, catch a few fish ...