My Opinion on Terence Newman's Comments

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Terence Newman talked about coaches not being accountable, and I agree with him. When one of your very best players is talking, you need to listen. It isn't hard for me to figure this one out, imo.

How can a coach take accountability for his team's play? Here is one simple way, and it's a start.

It would be nice if Jason Garrett would have got in front of a camera after the Pittsburgh game and said...

That 4th and 2 bomb inside the Pittsburgh 40 was my fault. I have to put Tony in a position to succeed with my play calling and coaching. 3 points down there probably wins the game. A safer call there, gives us a better chance to keep the ball and get at least 3 points. That's poor game management on my part. I'll take the blame there.

Both of the floating picks to Owens are on me. I have to get Tony Romo to manage the game better. Throwing the ball deep in your own territory, in horrible conditions, against the # 1 defense in the NFL, isn't good game management. Those types of throws can be risky if you are not careful, especially in those playing conditions. I need to call some safer passes when we are starting those drives. That's on me. I failed Romo.

I should have given Choice the ball on 4th and inches. Davis and Colombo had the push to get the yards, and Choice probably sees that. With Folk, we left, at least, three points on the field.

I should make sure Romo holds the ball with two hands when he is going down, not one. I need to coach him better.

Tony didn't see open receivers and forced some throws. That's on me. I have to make sure that Williams, Bennett, Crayton or Austin get the football when they are open. I have to call more plays for these receivers, because they are getting open.

It sounds like some of the defensive players are tired of the some of the sloppy play on offense. The offense has turned the ball over 26 times and thrown 17 interceptions this year.

If Jason Garrett or Wade Phillips don't hold Tony Romo accountable, the other players are going to see that double standard.

I think Terence Newman is talking about Jason Garrett, imo. Tony Romo is his responsibility. Garrett's game management of Romo in these three games (Washington, Arizona, and Pittsburgh) were very costly to the team.

Phillips calls out Newman in the media for one play, a play where the other team didn't score. This comes from a coach who takes the blame for everything and covers for players. Yet, he throws one of his best players under the bus for one play in the football game. He does this when the offense had three different chances to put that game on ice. He didn't call out Romo or Witten or the special teams. That is wrong. That is one great way to lose the team.

Who is always preaching about accountability?

Wade Phillips

Who is accountable for Jason Garrett's mismanagement of some of these football games and Romo?

It must not be Wade Phillips.
Last edited by 41gy# : 1 Minute Ago at 09:02 PM.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
TNew was doing a locker room interview today with our friends the media. He came out answering for what he stated this morning. He started "next question" to someone, I believe it might have been Watkins? He also after rehashing all the info a couple of times, he then started answering only questions related to this upcoming game. At the end of it, he got up left, as Werder came over. He pretty much stared him down as he starts walking away. Its at the 8:41 of the 8:42 clip.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multimedia/multimedia_center.cfm?id=2DD1A17C-FA7F-CCBA-7C764C06E5B31FD1

STSINAZ

Reaction score
41gy#;2485705 said:
Terence Newman talked about coaches not being accountable, and I agree with him. When one of your very best players is talking, you need to listen. It isn't hard for me to figure this one out, imo.

How can a coach take accountability for his team's play? Here is one simple way, and it's a start.

It would be nice if Jason Garrett would have got in front of a camera after the Pittsburgh game and said...

That 4th and 2 bomb inside the Pittsburgh 40 was my fault. I have to put Tony in a position to succeed with my play calling and coaching. 3 points down there probably wins the game. A safer call there, gives us a better chance to keep the ball and get at least 3 points. That's poor game management on my part. I'll take the blame there.

Both of the floating picks to Owens are on me. I have to get Tony Romo to manage the game better. Throwing the ball deep in your own territory, in horrible conditions, against the # 1 defense in the NFL, isn't good game management. Those types of throws can be risky if you are not careful, especially in those playing conditions. I need to call some safer passes when we are starting those drives. That's on me. I failed Romo.

I should have given Choice the ball on 4th and inches. Davis and Colombo had the push to get the yards, and Choice probably sees that. With Folk, we left, at least, three points on the field.

I should make sure Romo holds the ball with two hands when he is going down, not one. I need to coach him better.

Tony didn't see open receivers and forced some throws. That's on me. I have to make sure that Williams, Bennett, Crayton or Austin get the football when they are open. I have to call more plays for these receivers, because they are getting open.

It sounds like some of the defensive players are tired of the some of the sloppy play on offense. The offense has turned the ball over 26 times and thrown 17 interceptions this year.

If Jason Garrett or Wade Phillips don't hold Tony Romo accountable, the other players are going to see that double standard.

I think Terence Newman is talking about Jason Garrett, imo. Tony Romo is his responsibility. Garrett's game management of Romo in these three games (Washington, Arizona, and Pittsburgh) were very costly to the team.

Phillips calls out Newman in the media for one play, a play where the other team didn't score. This comes from a coach who takes the blame for everything and covers for players. Yet, he throws one of his best players under the bus for one play in the football game. He does this when the offense had three different chances to put that game on ice. He didn't call out Romo or Witten or the special teams. That is wrong. That is one great way to lose the team.

Wade Phillips

Who is accountable for Jason Garrett's mismanagement of some of these football games and Romo?

Phillips is a joke.

The Panch

Reaction score
Bottom line is both him, Bradie and "Anonymous Players" need to shut their mouth. They didnt help situations in the least. Say what you want about the Patriots, but how many times do you see stuff like this happen in New England? One of the major reasons they have been the most consistent team of the decade is that the locker room leadership is always there. Same thing with the 90's Boys despite all the drama that happened outside of football. Irvin had his issues off the field, but he always kept them off the field and remained a leader for others despite his flaws. Who's that on this team? Who's that guy who's gonna step up in front of the entire locker room and say "Whoever these anonymous players are running their mouthes are gonna have to answer to me and this whole locker room"? Where is that? Cause it's for damn sure not with the owner or the coaches.

WG5516

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know how this team is putting up with this. I know it seems as if every week I come on here it's something new. I yelled at my computer screen yesterday with frustration. I know if I'm frustrated not with the play on the field, but with the locker room BS, I know the players have to be. This team has way too much drama.

The Panch

Reaction score
WG5516;2485839 said:
Honestly, I don't know how this team is putting up with this. I know it seems as if every week I come on here it's something new. I yelled at my computer screen yesterday with frustration. I know if I'm frustrated not with the play on the field, but with the locker room BS, I know the players have to be. This team has way too much drama.
It's the Cowboys. This wouldnt be headlines if it was the Jags. Controversy sells and so do the Dallas Cowboys. Put em together............

Givincer

Reaction score
I didn't think the players would take Phillips seriously when he says "if you screw up it's my fault." Guess they have.

One of our best players saying that exactly.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I think he must be talking about Brian Stewart. Remember the Rams game where the team looked like it had quit, and the even D Ware and Zach looked so disgusted with him on the sideline? In Hard Knocks he seemed way overbearing. And right after that was when Wade took over and things immediately got better.

Or maybe TO convinced him that Garrett wasn't being fair with them. But Jason doesn't seem like the type to call people out anyway, especially TO.

Whatever it was, he should shut up. I have a feeling he thought he was helping somehow, but someone needs to tell him he's only making things worse. Talking to the media that way NEVER helps.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
The Panch;2485828 said:
Bottom line is both him, Bradie and "Anonymous Players" need to shut their mouth. They didnt help situations in the least. Say what you want about the Patriots, but how many times do you see stuff like this happen in New England? One of the major reasons they have been the most consistent team of the decade is that the locker room leadership is always there. Same thing with the 90's Boys despite all the drama that happened outside of football. Irvin had his issues off the field, but he always kept them off the field and remained a leader for others despite his flaws. Who's that on this team? Who's that guy who's gonna step up in front of the entire locker room and say "Whoever these anonymous players are running their mouthes are gonna have to answer to me and this whole locker room"? Where is that? Cause it's for damn sure not with the owner or the coaches.

Exactamundo!!!

When did the concept of 'for the good of the team' get lost?

And they wonder why Emmitt keeps calling them a bunch of individuals that are not a team.

superonyx

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2485880 said:
Exactamundo!!!

When did the concept of 'for the good of the team' get lost?

And they wonder why Emmitt keeps calling them a bunch of individuals that are not a team.

Great Post!!!!

Take a look at many of the people on this message board. They are acting like this crap is ok. Like TO, Newman ect are ok to air dirty laundry to the media. You are correct. Good for the team has been lost with this group. It starts with the top. Put Bill Cowher or Jimmy Johnson as the coach and see what happens. I like Wade as a person, but he isnt equipped to manage this group of individuals. Im not sure anyone is.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why did TNew voluntarily call ESPN and start yapping? I don't get that. When answering questions at his locker, he seemed level-headed and wasn't taking the bait, which makes calling ESPN all the more strange.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2485946 said:
Why did TNew voluntarily call ESPN and start yapping? I don't get that. When answering questions at his locker, he seemed level-headed and wasn't taking the bait, which makes calling ESPN all the more strange.

I was thinking the same thing. I heard one call where he said nothing really.
Then a few minutes later is was like a whole different guy.

The Panch

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2485946 said:
He said why. It was his way to call out the coaches without actually calling them out to their faces.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I don't like T.O. talking to Deion and complaining about the offense or Romo or Garrett, either. His comments after the first Washington game were just not helpful to Romo. In fact, they were pretty ridiculous. Romo forces the ball too much to Owens at times, and he doesn't deserve that stuff.

I don't have a problem with what Bradie James said. Although, I wouldn't give Werder the time of day.

I don't have a problem with what Terence Newman said about the coaches being accountable for their mistakes, because the head coach called him out in the media after the game. How would you feel if you were Newman after you played special teams in that game, and guys were taking cheap shots at you while you were doing it? He has to be thinking this. Man, our offense and special teams gave that game away, and I'm being singled out right after the game. That is a great way to loose the respect of a player. Newman is a proud player, an elite player. He didn't deserve to be thrown under the bus by the head coach after that game.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Givincer;2485855 said:
I didn't think the players would take Phillips seriously when he says "if you screw up it's my fault." Guess they have.

One of our best players saying that exactly.

The coaches have to be accountable for some of the things that happen on the football field. I realize that it did get old when Phillips kept saying everything was his fault. The players have to do their jobs for sure, but there are definate things coaches can do to help players out, especially the quarterback of the team.

For example, there is no excuse for throwing a football 35 yards down the field when it is 4th and 2. That is on Jason Garrett. He should be able to call a safer play that will net the 2 yards and keep the ball and get points on that drive. It is called managing the game. If Garrett doesn't see throwing a bomb on 4th and 2 as a problem, then he needs to wake up.

Who is responsible for managing Tony Romo?

Jason Garrett

It is Garrett's job to coach Romo up and his eliminate these mistakes, but he needs to look at his own play calling, because it is part of the problem. There is nothing wrong with a coach taking responsibility for a player's bad play, especially sloppy picks and fumbles. Garrett can protect Romo through his play calling and game plans and his coaching. The play calling in the three games I mentioned wasn't very good, and Romo suffered. Plus, the team lost. Garrett needs to get the concept of not losing the games, defensive games. Until he does, Romo is going to keep having games like the Pittsburgh one and the Arizona one and the first Washington game. Jason Garrett must hold Tony Romo accountable, and the team must know that he is doing it. In order to hold Romo accountable, he must look himself in the mirror and hold himself accountable for some of his gameplans and play calls.

If Garrett would say the stuff like I wrote, it would earn the team's respect, imo. They would know that he will be working with Romo to fix the mistakes. They would know that Romo is being held accountable, and Garrett is smart enough to see his own mistakes.

The chain of command should be:

Phillips
Garrett
Romo

Phillips to Garrett:

The turn overs must stop in these close defensive games. The defense is playing really well, and we can't afford to be sloppy with the football and give games away. I think we need to help Romo out through the play calling and coach him up. When we are backed up, we need safe, quick throws in some of these defensive games.

(Evidently, Wade loves the sloppy offense when his defense is dominating, because it continues to show up.)

Garrett goes to Romo

This is the problem, imo. Romo's bad games can be traced to some questionable play calling and game plans.

However, Garrett has to see that he could help Romo avoid some of these mistakes through his coaching.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2485871 said:
I think he must be talking about Brian Stewart. Remember the Rams game where the team looked like it had quit, and the even D Ware and Zach looked so disgusted with him on the sideline? In Hard Knocks he seemed way overbearing. And right after that was when Wade took over and things immediately got better.

Or maybe TO convinced him that Garrett wasn't being fair with them. But Jason doesn't seem like the type to call people out anyway, especially TO.

Whatever it was, he should shut up. I have a feeling he thought he was helping somehow, but someone needs to tell him he's only making things worse. Talking to the media that way NEVER helps.

I could be wrong, but I think Newman is frustrated with the offense's sloppy play. Think about the game they just lost.

I think Newman definately called out Phillips. Perhaps, he doesn't see Phillips holding Garrett or Romo accountable.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I dunno guys,,, seems to me that Phillips ALWAYS has the player's backs, he NEVER throws them under the bus.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Honestly-not only the entire season, but the entire year has really taken its toll on the Boys. It all started since losing to the Giants in the playoffs. Just one drama after another-from all the kitchen sink for McFadden rumors to the entire national media saying we're a lock for the Super Bowl to "Hard Knocks" to starting off the season with 3 national spotlight games to TO and Ellis not being happen to the injuries to Brian Stewart finally getting his playcalling duties stripped to communication breakdowns among the coaching staff to the players complaining about the coaches now, etc, etc.

I hope we can start next year afresh.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
The Panch;2485954 said:
He said why. It was his way to call out the coaches without actually calling them out to their faces.

So, instead of being a man about it and expressing his frustration face to face, he took the C.S. way and went to friggin' ESPN.

Nice.

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
41gy#;2485705 said:

Wade Phillips

41, your hypothetical response Garrett should have given in a press conference sounds a lot like something Parcells would have said. :D