My Plan - How To Draft An Elite QB and win a Super Bowl

Kwyn

Reaction score
Sounds like a Wile E. Coyote plan...
20200121-035234.jpg
Great comparison!

I would have to say that the strategy of “draft a QB every year” is real and you can see it in thread after thread. I present it here as a joke but to do it in reality would take Wile E Coyote levels of luck and accidental genius to ever have a chance of working

Whyjerry

Reaction score
How to find the next Elite QB and win a Super Bowl

Year One
  1. Draft a QB in the first round. Rookie contracts are great. We’ve only sunk 17 million into this guy over the next four years
  2. Our pick pick is now QB1.
  3. Whoever was QB1 is not QB2. Sucks to be you bro
Year Two
  1. Draft a QB in the second round. Too soon to know if QB1 is going to be elite but hey, he we’re still high on him. He could turn out to be Pat Mahomes
  2. Continue to start QB1. Watch QB2 on the scout team. He’s looking pretty good. Could he be the next Aaron Rodgers?
  3. Might have been nice to have a new starting defensive tackle in the 2nd round but that’s ok QB2 could be elite one day
Year Three
  1. QB1 was just ok in his second year but definitely showed signs of growth. Still, he hasn’t proven he’s elite and we don’t know anything about QB2 except he tears it up on the Scout Team and looks great in shorts.
  2. Drafting another QB in the 1st round. Trust the Process.
  3. Crap, we better cut or try to trade QB1 because we have to find out if QB 2 or QB3 can play.
  4. Wait, you mean we still have to pay QB1 millions of dollars for two more years because he was a first round pick? No one will offer us better than a 3rd round pick? Ok, fine, we’ll take #103 overall. Hope QB2 is elite
  5. QB2 is now QB1! Woohoo!
  6. Wait, we have to pay lo the “new” QB2 first round contract money? Isn’t that why we dumped last years QB1?
  7. Since QB2 only gets reps with the scout team and was a first round pick, we need to elevate his profile. After all, we’re paying him 6 million dollars. Let’s call his job QB1a-Scout Team Commander
  8. Didn’t someone say we needed a starting top tier cornerback?
Year Four
  1. Crap. The new QB1 looks like a bust in year 2. All that promise he showed on the scout team was just an illusion.
  2. Gonna promote QB1a-Scout Team Commander to QB1
  3. Better try to trade “last years QB1 for a 4th round pick. Either that or just bench him and Call him QB2-1st round BackUpEdition
  4. Gotta stick with the plan. None of these guys are looking like Dan Marino. Better draft a QB in the third round just in casE. We’re being smart this time. Only a third rounder.
  5. Hahaha, I’m a genius level GM! This new guy is going to break our scout team records. I can feel it.
  6. Dang it - QB1 got sacked 23 times because we haven’t drafted a first or second round O-Lineman in years and our staring left tackle is 37 years old
  7. The new, new, QB1a-Scout Team Commander Commander is clearly an Elite Scout Team player. Maybe he’s going to be Tom Brady some day. He looked good with some of his passes yesterday to Hingle McCringleberry. Should we start him for the last half of the season?
  8. The new, new, new QB1 is all beat to hell and hasn’t looked like Montana quite yet
Year Five
  1. We’re 4-12. Gonna have the fifth overall pick. Please let it be Elway Jr
  2. Fans at Cowboys Zone are *pissed*. I think one of them is parked in that tinted out Crown Vic. I’m not sure if he’s part of the “QB1 Mob” or the “QB1aScot Team Commander Mob”. Hell, he could be a Member if the “Romo Mob” still pissed about the Dak draft
  3. Got lit up on Cowboys Fan Zone today. A bunch of them want to know why we’re not trading our next three years of first round picks to move up from #5 to first overall.
  4. Didd my GM homework. The highest rated QB on yhe board is D'Glester Hardunkichud. He was a test tube baby formed by a blend of DNA from Troy and Roger using eggs from Serena Williams. They grew him in a lab, some of the Cowboys Zone posters are saying that neither Troy nor Eoger were elite and that I’m just a homer trying to cash in on past glories and nostalgia
  5. D'Glester Hardunkichud Is in the hizzouse! Those two future firsts were a steep price to swap the #5 for the first overall but I need to stick with The Process.
  6. Not sure who is QB1 or QB2 anymore. Pretty sure Rowdy is now taking snaps as the QB1a-Scout Team Commander.
  7. Went down to the parking lot across from Home Depot and found some guys who will worn for the minimum. Hope none of them are killed by our opponents actual NFL players
Year Six
  1. "The Fan Zone has taken the Star. We have barred the gates, but cannot hold them for long. The ground shakes... Drums. Drums in the deep. We cannot get out. The ghost of Jason Garrett moves in the dark... We cannot get out... They are coming."

So while SF plays in the Super Bowl and TN just went to the AFC Championship with a re-tread QB, the Dallas Cowboys, who have not played a meaningful playoff game in 25 years will embark on a cockamamie 6 year scheme to find a new QB rather than signing the guy that just threw 30 TDs and for 5000 yards?

Wow has this franchise fallen on hard times...

Kwyn

Reaction score
So while SF plays in the Super Bowl and TN just went to the AFC Championship with a re-tread QB, the Dallas Cowboys, who have not played a meaningful playoff game in 25 years will embark on a cockamamie 6 year scheme to find a new QB rather than signing the guy that just threw 30 TDs and for 5000 yards?

Yes! You want to be elite right? You want to win Super Bowls right? Well, you better getcha one of those Elite QB’s that everyone else has.

Not poking you at all. I think we are probably in agreement. I chose to reply to your comment

A team could draft 7 QB’s this year and outside of Burrow find themselves without an “elite” one and even Burrow is an unknown and the odds are probably against him ever becoming elite or winning a Super Bowl

To show how hard it is, name the last sure fire HOF QB to be drafted #1? I mean a guy that everyone *knew* was going to be elite and who actually delivered with a Super Bowl.

I’ll give you a couple of hints. It was 1998 and he sells insurance for Nationwide.

Before that it was our boy Troy in 1989

There have been #1s since who have won super bowls, including Eli, Luck and Stafford but only one of the three won a Super Bowl and Eli wasn’t regarded as “cant miss” even though he went #1 (and then forced a trade to screw over the Chargers who drafted him)

So yeah, draft a hundred QB’s. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut. Hope you can fill the other 23 positions with free agents

Flamma

Reaction score
An Elite QB is not needed to win a SB. Have a good QB and be solid or good at both DL and OL and you'll be in the mix. The 49ers are in the SB because of that. 5 first rounders on the defensive line and a good offensive line with a TE that is another OLineman when run blocking. When you own the trenches you're hard to beat.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Yes! You want to be elite right? You want to win Super Bowls right? Well, you better getcha one of those Elite QB’s that everyone else has.

Not poking you at all. I think we are probably in agreement. I chose to reply to your comment

A team could draft 7 QB’s this year and outside of Burrow find themselves without an “elite” one and even Burrow is an unknown and the odds are probably against him ever becoming elite or winning a Super Bowl

To show how hard it is, name the last sure fire HOF QB to be drafted #1? I mean a guy that everyone *knew* was going to be elite and who actually delivered with a Super Bowl.

I’ll give you a couple of hints. It was 1998 and he sells insurance for Nationwide.

Before that it was our boy Troy in 1989

There have been #1s since who have won super bowls, including Eli, Luck and Stafford but only one of the three won a Super Bowl and Eli wasn’t regarded as “cant miss” even though he went #1 (and then forced a trade to screw over the Chargers who drafted him)

So yeah, draft a hundred QB’s. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut. Hope you can fill the other 23 positions with free agents

How many "Elite QBs" were in the final 8? 3 - Mahomes, Wilson, and Rodgers. Dak is better than Wentz, Cousins, Tannehill, Watson...Jackson is debatable given the great year he had but boy was he terrible in the TN game. My point is Dak is very much good enough. Dallas didn't make the playoffs because the coaching staff was terrible, Jerry created a zero-accountability culture, the had no DTs, Secondary stunk, Kicking game was a joke, and the LBs don't like to tackle.

Dak is not the issue!!!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Year One
  1. Draft a QB in the first round. Rookie contracts are great. We’ve only sunk 17 million into this guy over the next four years
Year Two
  1. Draft a QB in the second round. Too soon to know if QB1 is going to be elite but hey, he we’re still high on him. He could turn out to be Pat Mahomes
  2. Continue to start QB1. Watch QB2 on the scout team. He’s looking pretty good. Could he be the next Aaron Rodgers?
  3. Might have been nice to have a new starting defensive tackle in the 2nd round but that’s ok QB2 could be elite one day
Year Three
  1. QB1 was just ok in his second year but definitely showed signs of growth. Still, he hasn’t proven he’s elite and we don’t know anything about QB2 except he tears it up on the Scout Team and looks great in shorts.
  3. Crap, we better cut or try to trade QB1 because we have to find out if QB 2 or QB3 can play.
  4. Wait, you mean we still have to pay QB1 millions of dollars for two more years because he was a first round pick? No one will offer us better than a 3rd round pick? Ok, fine, we’ll take #103 overall. Hope QB2 is elite
  6. Wait, we have to pay lo the “new” QB2 first round contract money? Isn’t that why we dumped last years QB1?
  7. Since QB2 only gets reps with the scout team and was a first round pick, we need to elevate his profile. After all, we’re paying him 6 million dollars. Let’s call his job QB1a-Scout Team Commander
Year Four
  1. Crap. The new QB1 looks like a bust in year 2. All that promise he showed on the scout team was just an illusion.
  3. Better try to trade “last years QB1 for a 4th round pick. Either that or just bench him and Call him QB2-1st round BackUpEdition
  4. Gotta stick with the plan. None of these guys are looking like Dan Marino. Better draft a QB in the third round just in casE. We’re being smart this time. Only a third rounder.
  5. Hahaha, I’m a genius level GM! This new guy is going to break our scout team records. I can feel it.
  6. Dang it - QB1 got sacked 23 times because we haven’t drafted a first or second round O-Lineman in years and our staring left tackle is 37 years old
  7. The new, new, QB1a-Scout Team Commander Commander is clearly an Elite Scout Team player. Maybe he’s going to be Tom Brady some day. He looked good with some of his passes yesterday to Hingle McCringleberry. Should we start him for the last half of the season?
  8. The new, new, new QB1 is all beat to hell and hasn’t looked like Montana quite yet
Year Five
  2. Fans at Cowboys Zone are *pissed*. I think one of them is parked in that tinted out Crown Vic. I’m not sure if he’s part of the “QB1 Mob” or the “QB1aScot Team Commander Mob”. Hell, he could be a Member if the “Romo Mob” still pissed about the Dak draft
  3. Got lit up on Cowboys Fan Zone today. A bunch of them want to know why we’re not trading our next three years of first round picks to move up from #5 to first overall.
  4. Didd my GM homework. The highest rated QB on yhe board is D'Glester Hardunkichud. He was a test tube baby formed by a blend of DNA from Troy and Roger using eggs from Serena Williams. They grew him in a lab, some of the Cowboys Zone posters are saying that neither Troy nor Eoger were elite and that I’m just a homer trying to cash in on past glories and nostalgia
  5. D'Glester Hardunkichud Is in the hizzouse! Those two future firsts were a steep price to swap the #5 for the first overall but I need to stick with The Process.
  6. Not sure who is QB1 or QB2 anymore. Pretty sure Rowdy is now taking snaps as the QB1a-Scout Team Commander.
  7. Went down to the parking lot across from Home Depot and found some guys who will worn for the minimum. Hope none of them are killed by our opponents actual NFL players
Year Six
  1. "The Fan Zone has taken the Star. We have barred the gates, but cannot hold them for long. The ground shakes... Drums. Drums in the deep. We cannot get out. The ghost of Jason Garrett moves in the dark... We cannot get out... They are coming."

I was thinking how the universe, is, like, endless, man. Endless!

AbeBeta

Reaction score

Year One
Year Two
Year Three
Year Four
Year Five
Year Six

Yes. The 5th QB taken in the draft this year is automatically our starter.

Embarrassing take dude

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Which year are we in of the 10 years we ll be ruing facing Robert Griffin III?

Reaction score
Dumb. Here's a better plan: Trade Dak & Zeke for 2 number one picks in 2021. The team will suck, so their own pick will be pretty high. Then, trade all three picks for the number one spot. Take Clemson's Trevor Lawrence. In the 2nd round, take a quality back to go with Pollard. That's a SB recipe.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Year 4 no.7, Hingle McCringleberry couldn't catch a cold, Everbody knows this, You lost all credibility at that point.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Dumb. Here's a better plan: Trade Dak & Zeke for 2 number one picks in 2021. The team will suck, so their own pick will be pretty high. Then, trade all three picks for the number one spot. Take Clemson's Trevor Lawrence. In the 2nd round, take a quality back to go with Pollard. That's a SB recipe.
Hopefully Lawrence finds some accuracy next year.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

So we're going to get two first round picks for a "fat, slow, overrated" (just a few of the terms I've read here) running back on his second contract and an "inaccurate, bus driver" QB also on his second contract. In other words, posters here are much smarter than these idiot GMs to whom you plan to trade these players.

If only you could trade them to Jerry. :muttley:

By the way, the OP was being sarcastic.

Creeper

Reaction score
Let's just draft an elite QB. It couldn't be easier. Here is are all the QBs drafted in teh 1st round since 2015:

2015 - Jameis Winston (1), Marcus Mariota (2)
2016 - Jared Goff (1), Carson Wentz (2)
2017 - Mitch Trubisky (2), Patrick Mahomes (10), DeSaun Watson (12)
2018 - Baker Mayfield (1), Sam Darnold (3), Josh Allen (7), Josh Rosen (10), Lamar Jackson (32)
2019 - Kyler Murray (1), Daniel Jones (6), Dwayne Haskins (15)

Out of 15 QBs, 2 went to a Super Bowl. Mahomes will make 3. You can argue that guys like Josh Allen or Sam Darnold could get there one day. Same with Lamar Jackson. But anyone who thinks drafting an "elite" QB is the answer is spitting in the wind. Dak is arguably better than 12 guys on this list right now. And btw, note that only Lamar Jackson went lower than 15 in the draft.

CB61

Reaction score
We are now at a time and a place that they like to call in NASCAR this silly season and we have rapidly rabidly approached that LOL !!

conner01

Reaction score

It’s a process