CFZ My questions leading up to the first game

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
1. What can we expect from Tank? There really hasn't been a ton of talk about him either way. I personally like the player, and I think he does so many things that go unnoticed. But can he return to double digit sack form?

2. Why do we throw too much at rookies? Early in the preseason one of the head honchos said they think they threw too much at Tyler Smith. Now, Stephen said they have thrown too much at Tolbert. Why would you do this? Why wouldn't you give them one job to get comfortable with and then look to expand that as they get a little experience and confidence? We did the same thing with Parsons, fortunately he was able to handle it, but I think with 95% of all rookies you need to bring them in, have them focus on one spot and then increase their responsibilities as they show they can handle it.

3. Can this group of no name receivers hold things down until Gallup gets back? What about Washington? His timetable was 6-10 weeks and we are basically coming into week 6 now. Will we get any kind of spark out of him?

4. Will the interior DT be a strength? We have thrown a lot of draft capital into the spot. Hill, Odiggy, Gallimore, Bohanna, Ridgeway. It is time for them to step up.

5. Do we have a ton of pass rushing depth? Outside of Parsons, who has shown he can get after it, we have a lot of guys that have shown they can get to the QB for 6-8 sacks a year. Our 1985 team set the team record with 62 sacks. We had 41 last year. Could we see a big jump in total sacks this year?

6. Can Dak raise the level of those around him? It has been the buzzword from the front office lately when we didn't add any veterans into the mix at WR and OT before finally signing Peters. Can Dak make the OL look better than it is? Can he elevate a bunch of no name WR's?

7. Is Maher really gonna be the Kicker all year? I think one thing that might help him is that he has to realize that you don't have to kick every FG like it is a 60 yarder. With his leg, just an average swing will get the ball 50 yards. Slowing things down a bit and a little less effort might increase the accuracy on those must have kicks inside the 45.

8. Can the OL be average at least? We only have one position locked down right now and that is RG. Everything else is a question mark. Seems to be too much to ask for 4 guys to be better than they have ever been .

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
1. What can we expect from Tank? There really hasn't been a ton of talk about him either way. I personally like the player, and I think he does so many things that go unnoticed. But can he return to double digit sack form?

2. Why do we throw too much at rookies? Early in the preseason one of the head honchos said they think they threw too much at Tyler Smith. Now, Stephen said they have thrown too much at Tolbert. Why would you do this? Why wouldn't you give them one job to get comfortable with and then look to expand that as they get a little experience and confidence? We did the same thing with Parsons, fortunately he was able to handle it, but I think with 95% of all rookies you need to bring them in, have them focus on one spot and then increase their responsibilities as they show they can handle it.

3. Can this group of no name receivers hold things down until Gallup gets back? What about Washington? His timetable was 6-10 weeks and we are basically coming into week 6 now. Will we get any kind of spark out of him?

4. Will the interior DT be a strength? We have thrown a lot of draft capital into the spot. Hill, Odiggy, Gallimore, Bohanna, Ridgeway. It is time for them to step up.

5. Do we have a ton of pass rushing depth? Outside of Parsons, who has shown he can get after it, we have a lot of guys that have shown they can get to the QB for 6-8 sacks a year. Our 1985 team set the team record with 62 sacks. We had 41 last year. Could we see a big jump in total sacks this year?

6. Can Dak raise the level of those around him? It has been the buzzword from the front office lately when we didn't add any veterans into the mix at WR and OT before finally signing Peters. Can Dak make the OL look better than it is? Can he elevate a bunch of no name WR's?

7. Is Maher really gonna be the Kicker all year? I think one thing that might help him is that he has to realize that you don't have to kick every FG like it is a 60 yarder. With his leg, just an average swing will get the ball 50 yards. Slowing things down a bit and a little less effort might increase the accuracy on those must have kicks inside the 45.

8. Can the OL be average at least? We only have one position locked down right now and that is RG. Everything else is a question mark. Seems to be too much to ask for 4 guys to be better than they have ever been .
Lots of good questions.
I think # 2 is very important.
We get too much into position flex.
We almost ruined Byron Jones doing this.
My concern is they are throwing Tyler off the deep end and saying sink or swim.
This is not the best way to break a raw rookie into the NFL.

Shane612

Reaction score
Lots of good questions.
I think # 2 is very important.
We get too much into position flex.
We almost ruined Byron Jones doing this.
My concern is they are throwing Tyler off the deep end and saying sink or swim.
This is not the best way to break a raw rookie into the NFL.
Isn't that true for all NFL teams in today's NFL?
They can't stockpile good veterans anymore.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Isn't that true for all NFL teams in today's NFL?
They can't stockpile good veterans anymore.
With the cap this is true up to a point.
You can ease a rookie in a little better than we are doing making him the game one starter.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Questions? Which bourbon will I drink, will there be a game Day menu, how many points will the Cowboys win by:laugh:

It's early in the season and no one really knows which questions will be answered successfully. As always I will be cheering hard, and hoping for the best.

Go Cowboys :flagwave:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. What can we expect from Tank? He has been pretty quiet so far. Maybe this will help him focus and be the player he was when he got his 19 sacks or whatever it was.

2. Why do we throw too much at rookies?
I never liked when they spout this position flex stuff. Yes, maybe get them some work in, but let them do their main job well 1st.

3. Can this group of no name receivers hold things down until Gallup gets back? I think they will be better than many think.

4. Will the interior DT be a strength? It is time for them to step up. 2nd year of Quinn's defense, they can react as opposed to last year, think then react. I think they can step up.

5. Do we have a ton of pass rushing depth? Outside of Parsons. See your 1st question. Fowler could have a comeback year, and Sam Williams and Armstrong easily replace Gregory.

6. Can Dak raise the level of those around him? He is a natural leader, so he will need to do this.

7. Is Maher really gonna be the Kicker all year? This is the biggest question mark to me.

8. Can the OL be average at least? We only have one position locked down right now and that is RG. Everything else is a question mark. Not really. Steele has had a lot of playing time and starts, Biadasz is going into his 2nd year starting, the question is how will TS73 play at LT, a position he played in college, and has McGovern improved and all the starters will help.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
8. Can the OL be average at least? We only have one position locked down right now and that is RG. Everything else is a question mark. Not really. Steele has had a lot of playing time and starts, Biadasz is going into his 2nd year starting, the question is how will TS73 play at LT, a position he played in college, and has McGovern improved and all the starters will help.

Steele was good as a run blocker, average to slightly below as a pass protector and that was with us shifting help his way. We can't do that with a rookie on the other side. Biadasz is in second year starting, but his first year he was not even average. He has to improve greatly. McGovern has improved? Based on what? His only extended playing time last year showed he wasn't really ready. I think you have rose colored glasses on regarding the OL.

Flamma

Reaction score

All good questions, but we really can't answer them in week 1. Teams are totally different by mid season.

But I can answer #6. No. Or if so, very limited. That ability is really only limited to a few QBs. And they usually end up in the hall of fame. We need the coaches to elevate the players with a good game plan and the ability to get these players to execute the plays.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
That's a luxury that no team has. No team is that deep with talent.
If they tagged you as their first round pick, you better be ready to play.
Well Shane we are gonna have to agree to disagree with this one.
We had plenty of cap space to sign a decent swing tackle this off season but did not.
If we had that player could be starting and we could have eased Tyler in, and Tyler could have developed into a starter
by the end of the season.
My take.
Thanks

Shane612

Reaction score
I think lot of fans are counting on Diggs to get double digit INTs again.
Turnovers makes the defense look much better than it may actually is.
Interception are hard to make, against any QBs. A lot of that are just pure luck.
I think about 5 interception is a good year for a top tier DB.

Shane612

Reaction score
Well Shane we are gonna have to agree to disagree with this one.
We had plenty of cap space to sign a decent swing tackle this off season but did not.
If we had that player could be starting and we could have eased Tyler in, and Tyler could have developed into a starter
by the end of the season.
My take.
Thanks
Okay. Fair enough.
Kinda depends on what you mean by "decent", too.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Steele was good as a run blocker, average to slightly below as a pass protector and that was with us shifting help his way. We can't do that with a rookie on the other side. Biadasz is in second year starting, but his first year he was not even average. He has to improve greatly. McGovern has improved? Based on what? His only extended playing time last year showed he wasn't really ready. I think you have rose colored glasses on regarding the OL.

No I do not. I made a statement as to IF McGovern improved. As he did not look like it from PS games. However, once all the starters, on offense are in there he could look better.
As to the WR running proper routes, playing with an actual game plan, Dak at QB and not the backups, Zeke and Pollard in the game and not Davis and Shampklin. That makes a big difference.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Tank has an interview posted yesterday on YouTube. He talked about how he is in the best shape and diet of his life, he realizes what age does and does not want to let the team down and be out. They kept trying to get him to say this is the best defense he’s ever played on which he finally did, but he was very strong about saying first they had to prove it not just say it. And that’s what I’ve noticed on pretty much all the defensive player interviews this week. They all feel optimistic they all feel they are highly talented but none of them want to come out and say it. They want to put it on the field first which is nice to see in this overrated Hollywood Cowboys Jerryworld we watch.

blueblood70

Reaction score

come on man !! Zeke and dak handles it some can some cant i believe the coaches know the difference. Martin, Tfred, and Smith handled it.,many rookies can handle it..not sure where you get your info from, these days many players even at WR and QBs are playing day 1.

you going to rip Jimmy for throwing Aikman to the wolves? how about P.Manning dudes got ate alive both are HOF players now.

morasp

Reaction score

Good teams have very few rookies they count on. The Bills had a couple rookies play but for the most part it was vets. I'm looking for MM to do what he did with Packers and build on the previous year. Not like JG who seemed to do well one year and bad the next.

The Bills had Diggs and some other guys. Hopefully Lamb will be our Diggs. Just as important can Dak be our Josh Allen. He looked really sharp Thursday.

It could be argued that Miller elevated the Bills pass rush and made them all better for seven sacks against the Rams. If Parsons can be our Miller I see good things happening.

9. Will Kellen Moore be better than last year? MM is supposedly more involved with the offense.

75boyz

Reaction score
1. Don't think he will produce double digits but his play should benefit from Parsons presence. Will be interested to see what kind of contributor he is post Thanksgiving as I have my personal doubts on durability.

2. Tyler should been left at guard where he practice/played most of preseason. Should've been a vet FA brought in as quickly as Smith went down imo. Tolbert must not have studied his playbook like Houston. Either TheLandryHat or BTB did an article propping up Houston for his playback study and knowing all 3 X, y and z receiver positions.

3. Not as confident as some by what I thought were underwhelming performance of Tolbert/Fehoko against non player CBs during preseason games. Regardless of the poor QB play. I thought more flashes would have happened. Opponent CB2s and CB3s are not losing any sleep. With Washington I have no idea based on the team's historically sketchy return dates when reporting personnel injuries. Could be 6 weeks or could be 10. I remember Gallimores last year and that was a little longer than what was first reported, lol.

4. Interior defensive line is a wait and see for me with fingers crossed on growth/development of all the guys.

5. Parsons elite talent will lift complimentary players performances of these rushmen because of opposing DCs concern over Micah. Opportunities will be available. I believe the concern should be IF they don't get home then what.

6. No comment

7. Patterns of behavior are hard to overcome. Fingers crossed and plenty of 4 leaf clovers in that Maher has learned to consistently hit 35-45 yarders, which is the majority percentage of field goals attempted in the NFL. Cheers to his second chance.

8. The overall key to the season imo. Any linemen not named Martin should be a concern. I fear one more injury loss to either position group of o-linemen or WRs and this offense could turn into a 3 and out machine if it's not already.
Thus negating all the positive defensive vibes for this year cuz they'd be on the field too long because of the offenses ineptitude and eventually wear down.

jmo

Last edited: