My take on this teams ups and downs

playmakers

Reaction score
Right now we are in a hangover from last year. Lets be honest, if you were a player and playing the 0-4 Bengals this week how fired up do you think you will get? I know it sounds cocky, but I really think it is what it is and it happens even more today, with the larger contracts, than ever before. Everyone on this team knows how good we are and playing the regular season is just basically some warm-up games for them until the real season starts. On Hard Knocks it was obvious when all of the players talked about this during interviews. Romo was quoted by saying "why fast forward right to the playoffs? If you do that your miss out on all the fun getting there." That quote is horrible if your looking for a dominate regular season. If he saying this it only means that the feeling is around the locker room. It also doesnt help that the media keeps filling these players heads with this question and thoughts of being better than they already are.

The poistive of all this????? Come playoff time our guys are going to come out and dominate and play to their ability. I really think this is how its going to turn out. All we have to have is some patience and come to the understanding that nothings won in the regular season. Come playoff time the NFL is in trouble because the Cowboys are going to take it by storm this year. Wait until we play the Commanders and Giants and see what team shows up. That should be a taste of the playoffs. In closing, lets have some patience. Lets have a long term look than short term.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
playmakers;2320462 said:
if you were a player and playing the 0-4 Bengals this week how fired up do you think you will get?.

I would be extra fired up, it would have been a stat game for me......

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
playmakers;2320462 said:
The positive of all this????? Come playoff time our guys are going to come out and dominate and play to their ability. I really think this is how its going to turn out. .

This is NOT the attitude championship teams have. You don't just turn it on and turn it off. You can't lolly-gag through the season playing half-assed, uninspired football and expect to turn it on in the playoffs.

You play hard all year - you play to the best of your ability all year - you don't wait for the playoffs to come knocking -PERIOD......imo/fwiw.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Sarge;2320807 said:
This is NOT the attitude championship teams have. You don't just turn it on and turn it off. You can't lolly-gag through the season playing half-assed, uninspired football and expect to turn it on in the playoffs.

You play hard all year - you play to the best of your ability all year - you don't wait for the playoffs to come knocking -PERIOD......imo/fwiw.

You mean like how the Giants played against the Vikings and 2nd Skins games last year?

Other than that, I agree with you-we did the same under Parcells. Pt being that we need a MAJOR overhaul in our 53 man roster...really.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Boysboy;2320890 said:
You mean like how the Giants played against the Vikings and 2nd Skins games last year?

Other than that, I agree with you-we did the same under Parcells. Pt being that we need a MAJOR overhaul in our 53 man roster...really.

The Giants, IMO, didn't turn it on, they got progressively better all year and played well, right on into, and through the Super Bowl and they continue on, right now.

I don't look at the Giants as turning it on and off. They got better and stayed there.

Remember, at the start of last year, they were talking about benching Manning.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
I reject the "all that matters is the Super Bowl argument." How many of the Cowboys greatest moments were regular season and playoff games in years when Dallas didn't win the Super Bowl? What about Staubach's 1979 comeback versus the Skins? Or the Hail Mary game? We need to stop looking at this sport we all love from a jaded perspective and start enjoying every game again.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
We are 4-1. If we win, we'll be 5-1... which is where we were after 6 games last year.

Oh noes. The horror.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Sarge;2320907 said:
The Giants, IMO, didn't turn it on, they got progressively better all year and played well, right on into, and through the Super Bowl and they continue on, right now.

I don't look at the Giants as turning it on and off. They got better and stayed there.

Remember, at the start of last year, they were talking about benching Manning.

They also had alot of depth too-on their OL, they have like 5 capable backups for each starter. Kevin Boss was one of the steals of the draft, so when Shockey went down, Eli still had a safety valve. They had numerous pass rushers, so when Kiwi went down, their pass rush didn't diminish. Ahmad Bradshaw was a steal in the 7th round, so when Derrick Ward went down, their run game didn't diminish.

Overall-everyone in their draft ultimately stepped up when it counted most.

yimyammer

Reaction score
playmakers;2320462 said:
Come playoff time our guys are going to come out and dominate and play to their ability. .

Thats a dangerous assumption, I believe in the mantra, "you play like you practice" but if they are still of the mindset they can just turn it on come playoff time, they might be in for another big let down.

Hell, as tough as this division is, if they continue to assume the playoffs are a foregone conclusion, they might find themselves out of the playoff picture altogether.

I like to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I believe this is a better mindset.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Vintage;2320921 said:
We are 4-1. If we win, we'll be 5-1... which is where we were after 6 games last year.

Oh noes. The horror.

The Cards ain't gonna be no cupcake

Boysboy

Reaction score
yimyammer;2321202 said:

This has been one strange season. We either play nailbiters or lose to teams we thought we would blow out(Eagles, Skins, and Bengals). But OTOH-teams we thought we would LOSE to, we would end up winning by double digits(Browns and Packers).

Yes-I agree the Cards are no cupcake, and I have a feeling we will lose to them. However-read the above para...

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
yimyammer;2321202 said:

Maybe that's why I put "if" in that statement.

Just a thought...

yimyammer

Reaction score
Boysboy;2321214 said:
This has been one strange season. We either play nailbiters or lose to teams we thought we would blow out(Eagles, Skins, and Bengals). But OTOH-teams we thought we would LOSE to, we would end up winning by double digits(Browns and Packers).

Yes-I agree the Cards are no cupcake, and I have a feeling we will lose to them. However-read the above para...

Man, I agree, I have no idea how this team will perform from week to week.

I was VERY tempted to load up on Cinci last week with that huge spread, but the economy took all my courage away. Coulda, woulda, shoulda....

Boysboy

Reaction score
yimyammer;2321253 said:
Man, I agree, I have no idea how this team will perform from week to week.

I was VERY tempted to load up on Cinci last week with that huge spread, but the economy took all my courage away. Coulda, woulda, shoulda....

If anything, we may have caused the downfall of the Browns and Packers. Despite a bad preseason, the Brownies were nonetheless AFC favorites playing on the national stage in front of their home crowd-they got embarrased nonetheless and haven't recovered since. When we played the Packers, they were HOT, Rodgers looked like he all but buried the Favre-soap opera from TC, etc, etc. They ended up getting buried on the national stage in front of their home crowd.

The Cards are facing a similar situation-for the first time in years, they've field a team that's FINALLY getting respect from the national press, and they'll likely be playing in front of a national stage.

I'm not saying we're going to win(as a matter of fact, I'm pretty skeptical), but this team just plays BETTER when most of the media pundits end up picking AGAINST us.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yimyammer;2321202 said:

We really need pressure on Warner - he can be rattled easily and if you so much as pass gas on him, he'll injure something.

playmakers

Reaction score

Sarge, with your quote is that a way to describe our teams at times? Our team is cocky and it doesnt get any more cockier than on the dline imo Spears, Johnson, Canty basically everyone but Ratliff. Thats why I think thats been our most inconsistent poistion all season but I think they will turn it on at the end. I know that attitude doesnt work but I think this team could be the exception to the rule.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
playmakers;2321506 said:

Sarge, with your quote is that a way to describe our teams at times? Our team is cocky and it doesnt get any more cockier than on the dline imo Spears, Johnson, Canty basically everyone but Ratliff. Thats why I think thats been our most inconsistent poistion all season but I think they will turn it on at the end. I know that attitude doesnt work but I think this team could be the exception to the rule.

Exception to the rule?

There are no exceptions to that rule in the NFC East. Especially this year. We're simply not that good, especially on defense.

I simply do NOT agree with the "we can turn it on when we need to" philosophy - especially with a team that hasn't won a playoff game in a zillion years.