My wife's cousin has a litter of pure-bred French Bulldog puppies

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Don't go there, you freaks.
She has a litter of pure-bred French Bulldog puppies.
She knows we take great care of our dogs and she has offered to give us one of her litter.
Free. Because she knows he/she will live a wonderful life with us.

I have always wanted one, but I have a pit/mix that is nearly 16 years old and has hip dysplasia.

I have an 8 year old Malti/Poo who is a little possessive, but understands the current hierarchy of my Mug being the Big Dog.

A new presence might change dynamics and will definitely change my where I have to focus my attentions.

I'm seriously tempted to say yes, but I'm concerned that the family unit might be compromised as a whole.

I'm looking for a little advice and maybe guidance in this decision making process.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Don't go there, you freaks.
She knows we take great care of our dogs and she has offered to give us one of her litter.
Free. Because she knows he/she will live a wonderful life with us.

I have always wanted one, but I have a pit/mix that is nearly 16 years old and has hip dysplasia.

I have an 8 year old Malti/Poo who is a little possessive, but understands the current hierarchy of my Mug being the Big Dog.

A new presence might change dynamics and will definitely change my where I have to focus my attentions.

I'm seriously tempted to say yes, but I'm concerned that the family unit might be compromised as a whole.

I'm looking for a little advice and maybe guidance in this decision making process.
Personally (with no offense toward you or your wife's cousin) I'm for letting the pug nose breeds fade out, or at least breed the pug part out of them. It seems like a very uncomfortable way to live, with labored breathing and such.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Personally (with no offense toward you or your wife's cousin) I'm for letting the pug nose breeds fade out, or at least breed the pug part out of them. It seems like a very uncomfortable way to live, with labored breathing and such.
I hear you on that, but if the baby is already born (and I don't breed), that's a baby that needs to be cared for.
I just have reservations of the consequences of bringing in a bubba while I have one dude that may last 1 month, or 2 more years and a little wiener that's a bit possessive.

I work at home so I'll be there, but I'm not sure I'm being fair to my boys bringing a new one in.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dogs are resilient, will be fine after a week or two.
That's not always true. Sometimes they get so used to being the only kids that they get jealous of any new additions, plus the old dog might get irritated with a puppy.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I hear you on that, but if the baby is already born (and I don't breed), that's a baby that needs to be cared for.
I just have reservations of the consequences of bringing in a bubba while I have one dude that may last 1 month, or 2 more years and a little wiener that's a bit possessive.

I work at home so I'll be there, but I'm not sure I'm being fair to my boys bringing a new one in.
I understand your position. If it's already born it's already born, and it's not like you can talk her into not breeding more of them. At least you'll give the pup any medical advantage possible.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
If they see you like the puppy, they will like the puppy. You are the big dog, the others will follow

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Hard to say, not knowing anything about the dynamic, but it ultimately depends on you and how you manage the situation.

It's certainly doable with the right approach.

lukin2006

Reaction score
If it’s the type of dog I’m thinking of…they always look at me like I’m food?

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I like Frenchies. Puppies are generally tolerated pretty well, just make sure to give your current dog plenty of attention. Dogs can tell when they're getting shorted, there's been studies about it.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My wife always wanted one. We have a mini Aussie who is a wonderful dog. Decided to bite the bullet and get her one a little over a year ago.

WORST MISTAKE EVER!! I got her from a couple and not a dog farm. Thought that was the way to go. I didn't get to see her too much in person, just on videos. She seemed playful, a little stubborn head butting her siblings for food - but all in good fun. She was 8 weeks old, brought her home and it was all fun and games with the kids and wife. They were all on cloud 9.

She was very easy to potty train, didn't really mess with any toys that weren't hers and the two dogs seemed to get along. As she got a little older, we noticed she became very aggressive around food and water. We always kept our other dogs food in the master bathroom - she was on a self feeder and never really took advantage of it too much. Was active enough to not get overweight.

Not the wonderful little frenchie. She would eat so fast and then fart non stop and would just keep eating if you let her. We got her a special bowl that slows down her eating, but now she guards the bathroom and tried to attack everyone but my wife. Those two are now 1 in the same. She hates me and the kids - which scares me. She has already bit both of them, including my son on his face (he was holding a treat in front on his face, standing on side by the bed, dog was on the bed and face level with him - she went for it and got his face). I know the face thing is hard to blame on the dog, but still in the back of my mind.

She not only attacks anything that gets near her food, including our other dog - who must have the patience of a Saint, because she'll just sit and look at her as the Frenchie runs growling and snapping right up to her. No flinch, no growl, no teeth - just sits there and looks at her, asking what she gonna do...haha. She also, when near my wife is pretty much untouchable - have to tip toe around her or she'll get mad. My wife tells her no and tries to stop it, but they've bonded and just like peas and carrots :)

She also has TERRIBLE allergies. She breaks out in hives and scratches non stop. We've gone to really expensive allergy food, we've cut out her outside time because that is what seems to cause the flare ups, we give her a bath in some expensive Px shampoo from the vet because she's gets skin infections from scratching, which also causes her to smell awful. We have to get her a shot once about every 6 weeks with a med called Cytopoint - which stops the scratching or she'll do it till her skin just bleeds. She won't go the the restroom outside unless you stand and watch her go. If you let her out and shut the door, she goes straight to the glass and scratches at it until you open the door or you walk out and watch her use the restroom.

I know they aren't all like this but so far this has been the dog from H E double hockey sticks and she's only 1 1/2 yrs old.

So to sum it up, if you want a dog who:

Hates everyone except my wife
Is allergic to air it appears
Scratches and chews on self non-stop due to the air allergies
Has a bite that can be pretty bad, because her mouth opens up like plant from Little Shop of Horrors
Who's food probably cost more than what I eat on a daily basis
Has to be taken to the vet in a muzzle about once a month for expensive treatments - because she hates everyone but my wife
Who chases everyone out of the bathroom because they are gonna eat her food
Who has to put on a potty show - rain, sleet, snow, heat, cold - doesn't matter. You gotta watch her go, or it's not gonna happen and she'll end up going in the house somewhere.
But does play fetch pretty well, I have once I could sell you pretty cheap :)

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
You're a daddy again! Congrats dear. :muttley:
Dogs are resilient, will be fine after a week or two.
So true. They are eternally optimistic, unabashedly loving, & of course, endlessly loyal.

Their innate need to be companions makes them resilient, bouncing back from even the most traumatic experiences when given a little love.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
My wife always wanted one. We have a mini Aussie who is a wonderful dog. Decided to bite the bullet and get her one a little over a year ago.

WORST MISTAKE EVER!! I got her from a couple and not a dog farm. Thought that was the way to go. I didn't get to see her too much in person, just on videos. She seemed playful, a little stubborn head butting her siblings for food - but all in good fun. She was 8 weeks old, brought her home and it was all fun and games with the kids and wife. They were all on cloud 9.

She was very easy to potty train, didn't really mess with any toys that weren't hers and the two dogs seemed to get along. As she got a little older, we noticed she became very aggressive around food and water. We always kept our other dogs food in the master bathroom - she was on a self feeder and never really took advantage of it too much. Was active enough to not get overweight.

Not the wonderful little frenchie. She would eat so fast and then fart non stop and would just keep eating if you let her. We got her a special bowl that slows down her eating, but now she guards the bathroom and tried to attack everyone but my wife. Those two are now 1 in the same. She hates me and the kids - which scares me. She has already bit both of them, including my son on his face (he was holding a treat in front on his face, standing on side by the bed, dog was on the bed and face level with him - she went for it and got his face). I know the face thing is hard to blame on the dog, but still in the back of my mind.

She not only attacks anything that gets near her food, including our other dog - who must have the patience of a Saint, because she'll just sit and look at her as the Frenchie runs growling and snapping right up to her. No flinch, no growl, no teeth - just sits there and looks at her, asking what she gonna do...haha. She also, when near my wife is pretty much untouchable - have to tip toe around her or she'll get mad. My wife tells her no and tries to stop it, but they've bonded and just like peas and carrots :)

She also has TERRIBLE allergies. She breaks out in hives and scratches non stop. We've gone to really expensive allergy food, we've cut out her outside time because that is what seems to cause the flare ups, we give her a bath in some expensive Px shampoo from the vet because she's gets skin infections from scratching, which also causes her to smell awful. We have to get her a shot once about every 6 weeks with a med called Cytopoint - which stops the scratching or she'll do it till her skin just bleeds. She won't go the the restroom outside unless you stand and watch her go. If you let her out and shut the door, she goes straight to the glass and scratches at it until you open the door or you walk out and watch her use the restroom.

I know they aren't all like this but so far this has been the dog from H E double hockey sticks and she's only 1 1/2 yrs old.

So to sum it up, if you want a dog who:

Hates everyone except my wife
Is allergic to air it appears
Scratches and chews on self non-stop due to the air allergies
Has a bite that can be pretty bad, because her mouth opens up like plant from Little Shop of Horrors
Who's food probably cost more than what I eat on a daily basis
Has to be taken to the vet in a muzzle about once a month for expensive treatments - because she hates everyone but my wife
Who chases everyone out of the bathroom because they are gonna eat her food
Who has to put on a potty show - rain, sleet, snow, heat, cold - doesn't matter. You gotta watch her go, or it's not gonna happen and she'll end up going in the house somewhere.
But does play fetch pretty well, I have once I could sell you pretty cheap :)
Man, I just want to say that was a very well told account. I feel bad for you, but I couldn't help but laugh when I was reading it. When it goes bad with a dog, it can go REALLY bad.