National Baseball Rule Change

Reaction score
Everyone enjoys going to a baseball game -- it's one of America's past times. Hot dogs, peanuts, and cracker Jacks ...

But what about the guy that was in Chicago; the Cubs were playing someone when a ball was hit deep into center field ...

Before I go on, for those that don't know, this was the deciding game to determine if the Cubs would finally go into the World Series/Pennant after years and years of disappointment.

Anyway, the ball is in the air and the outfielder is in hot pursuit. The outfielder leaps high up Over the homerun wall, only to have the ball scooped up out of his glove by the glove of a fan sitting in that section of Center field.
The outfielder could do absoultely nothing! The ball was ruled a Homerun, and the Cubs ultimately lost the game and did not proceed to the next level.

Your thoughts ...

WHile this was a mjor story for a while, it's happened Before. Perhaps In lesser important games, could have been foul balls that if caught could have ended the inning; if not the game, yada yada, yada!

I'd like to see the MLB Assn. establish a contract to have a net placed/constructed that would disallow fans sitting only in the first few seats,
from possibly catching, stealing a catch from a player that is attempting to my a play on the ball (something similar to the net/caGe behind home plate.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
The play you're referring to actually happened at a Yankees/Orioles playoff game, about 10 years ago I think. A 12 year old took a homerun ball away from an Orioles outfielder who was going for it. Umps had no choice but to rule it a homerun.

In typical NY fashion the local papers called the kid a hero :rolleyes:

Reaction score
GTaylor said:
In typical NY fashion the local papers called the kid a hero :rolleyes:

Yeah, same concept. But the scenario I referred to actually happened in ChicagO about two years ago. The fan was almost lynched> People actually stalked His house until the season ended. Believe he didn't even keep the ball (uncertain about that part). :)

AceofSpades

Reaction score
ARMAGEDDON EAGLE said:
Yeah, same concept. But the scenario I referred to actually happened in ChicagO about two years ago. The fan was almost lynched> People actually stalked His house until the season ended. Believe he didn't even keep the ball (uncertain about that part). :)

That was last year and it was a foul ball and not a homerun. Besides, that play didnt cost them the game. There was three or four bad plays they made that cost them the game, but instead of taking the blame themselves they blamed "Bartman".

Reaction score
AceofSpades said:
That was last year and it was a foul ball and not a homerun. Besides, that play didnt cost them the game. There was three or four bad plays they made that cost them the game, but instead of taking the blame themselves they blamed "Bartman".

Hold on to your baseballs AOS! You're identifying all of the intricate details but your missing the ball park. Wanted to know (not necessarily from you) "How do you feel about establishing the outfield net in MLB that would guard against repeat incidents like in Chicago (foul ball or Not)?"

BTW, it was controversial as to whether or not the ball that Steve Bartman caught was foul or not! Here's the story ...

http://cubscurse.knup.net/

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
But Ace does have a point - the very next play after the Bartman incident was a grounder to the SS that was bobbled and ruled an error, had he made the play the inning would have been over and the Cubs would have still been in the lead.

I find it sad that Bartman gets the blame but not Cruz, the SS who made the critical error late in the game...a game by the way that was only game 6. Cubs weren't eliminated until game 7 with Kerry Wood pitching...