NBA Offseason

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Big move that looks imminent. Westbrook to the Lakers for Kuzma, KCP, Harrel and a 2021 FRP
Not sure I understand the Lakers move here.

Russ is just so inefficient and that is a bottom 5 contract in the league if not across all major sports.
You want to move away from LeBron as primary ball handler because he's aging but depend upon a 32 year old whose game is 99% athleticism? Makes no sense to me.

That same trade but for Beal made a ton of sense.
Getting Hield made a ton of sense.
DeMar for pennies? Yup.

But all your apples in one basket and nearing apron for Russ at 91M over two years? Yikes.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not sure I understand the Lakers move here.

Russ is just so inefficient and that is a bottom 5 contract in the league if not across all major sports.
You want to move away from LeBron as primary ball handler because he's aging but depend upon a 32 year old whose game is 99% athleticism? Makes no sense to me.

That same trade but for Beal made a ton of sense.
Getting Hield made a ton of sense.
DeMar for pennies? Yup.

But all your apples in one basket and nearing apron for Russ at 91M over two years? Yikes.
It's gonna be a interesting show in LA for sure. Will be interesting to see how that team meshs.

From what I hear Beal is committing to Washington. He hasn't said anything, but thats whats going around. They opened up alot flexibility with that trade.

It's interesting that OKC dangled SGA to try to get #1. I wonder if he is on the market or they just liked Cunningham that much. It makes sense to try to get that pick, but you also risk alienating SGA. I do think they have to make a decision in the next couple years. Are they gonna start moving picks to put a legit squad around him, or are they going to draft and develop players. Giddy is underwhelming IMO, and I think he has a high bust potential. I can see him being a version of Lakers Lonzo that cant defend

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It's gonna be a interesting show in LA for sure. Will be interesting to see how that team meshs.

From what I hear Beal is committing to Washington. He hasn't said anything, but thats whats going around. They opened up alot flexibility with that trade.

It's interesting that OKC dangled SGA to try to get #1. I wonder if he is on the market or they just liked Cunningham that much. It makes sense to try to get that pick, but you also risk alienating SGA. I do think they have to make a decision in the next couple years. Are they gonna start moving picks to put a legit squad around him, or are they going to draft and develop players. Giddy is underwhelming IMO, and I think he has a high bust potential. I can see him being a version of Lakers Lonzo that cant defend
LAL's biggest weakness appears to be outside shooting but this move feels a lot like them becoming the 76ers pre Curry/Green combo
Are you really gonna try to 2 man game Russ/AD and leave LBJ as your spot up 3 threat?
If so mannnn that is an insane drop off in efficiency.
LBJ is like a 51% FG guy and has 51/35/73 splits.
Russ is like a 43% FG guy and has 43/30/79 splits.

So paint gets tighter on AD and all the other Lakers. With Kuz and KCP to lost some of the already pretty poor 3PT shooting.
Russ averages just over 1 3PT make per game. Woof.

Cade:: He is simply a far better prospect than Trae Young was coming out of the Big 12. He's a physical dynamo with shades of Jimmy Butler and Luka Doncic in raw size and length.
He's a plus defender and plus shooter, plus ball handler and plus passer.
He doesn't have a menacing first step that eats people up but he's the prototype big point/playmaker.
The Big 12 was probably the best defensive conference in college basketball last year and Cade still scored it really efficiently.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
LAL's biggest weakness appears to be outside shooting but this move feels a lot like them becoming the 76ers pre Curry/Green combo
Are you really gonna try to 2 man game Russ/AD and leave LBJ as your spot up 3 threat?
If so mannnn that is an insane drop off in efficiency.
LBJ is like a 51% FG guy and has 51/35/73 splits.
Russ is like a 43% FG guy and has 43/30/79 splits.

So paint gets tighter on AD and all the other Lakers. With Kuz and KCP to lost some of the already pretty poor 3PT shooting.
Russ averages just over 1 3PT make per game. Woof.

Cade:: He is simply a far better prospect than Trae Young was coming out of the Big 12. He's a physical dynamo with shades of Jimmy Butler and Luka Doncic in raw size and length.
He's a plus defender and plus shooter, plus ball handler and plus passer.
He doesn't have a menacing first step that eats people up but he's the prototype big point/playmaker.
The Big 12 was probably the best defensive conference in college basketball last year and Cade still scored it really efficiently.
They are gonna have to stagger Lebron and Russ well, and get shooters willing to come cheap for a run.

From what I read, the offer was SGA and #6 for #1. Presti is drinking his own bath water if he think Detroit is taking that. I really like SGA, and I think he can be the best player on a pretty good team someday, but Cade is a legit cornerstone. Add to that it was really a 5 player draft. The pool greatly diminished after Barnes and Suggs

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Mavs takes:
Not mad at Lowry going to MIA. The Heat could put together quite an off-season.
But I'm not sure I am that upset Mavs missed on Lowry. 4th leading scorer on a 27 win team at age 36 for 30M a year?
You better put those pieces together right because that can go south fast.

Dwight Powell is on trading block but not sure what you think you can get for him without being part of a much larger trade.
WCS's option being grabbed is interesting and indicates DAL has a pretty good idea of the numbers they need (or don't need)in cap space.

I'd love to see DAL get in on Richaun Holmes and Buddy Hield with SACTO but have nothing of real value to trade off to a rebuilding team.

DeMar Derozen might end up in DAL is the latest chatter and that would be fine but nothing special. 20+ PPG guy who has limited range. Would be an improvement on THJ but at the cost of spacing. And same soft level of defense.

This FA class was pretty trash.
Hoping Mavs can operate over the cap and use their MLE/BAE along with SnT's for the guys they don't want back.
Cap room teams don't have much to cheer about with this FA class. --unless Kawhi wants to leave LA which is very, very unlikely.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mavs takes:
Not mad at Lowry going to MIA. The Heat could put together quite an off-season.
But I'm not sure I am that upset Mavs missed on Lowry. 4th leading scorer on a 27 win team at age 36 for 30M a year?
You better put those pieces together right because that can go south fast.

Dwight Powell is on trading block but not sure what you think you can get for him without being part of a much larger trade.
WCS's option being grabbed is interesting and indicates DAL has a pretty good idea of the numbers they need (or don't need)in cap space.

I'd love to see DAL get in on Richaun Holmes and Buddy Hield with SACTO but have nothing of real value to trade off to a rebuilding team.

DeMar Derozen might end up in DAL is the latest chatter and that would be fine but nothing special. 20+ PPG guy who has limited range. Would be an improvement on THJ but at the cost of spacing. And same soft level of defense.

This FA class was pretty trash.
Hoping Mavs can operate over the cap and use their MLE/BAE along with SnT's for the guys they don't want back.
Cap room teams don't have much to cheer about with this FA class. --unless Kawhi wants to leave LA which is very, very unlikely.
Ya there aren't a ton of ground shaking improvements to make this offseason. Beal and Dame dont apear to be on the move. Washington opened up alot of cap flexibility for next season, so I can see Beal even re-upping.

I think Lowery is going to wind up being a bad signing for Miami. Never a good defender and at his age, his offense can go downhill fast.

If I was Dallas, I wouldn't turn my nose up at Kemba. You can get asset back taking his contract. Next season it may be a marketable trade chip as an expiring. And for 2021, I think would be very effective with Luka

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They are gonna have to stagger Lebron and Russ well, and get shooters willing to come cheap for a run.

From what I read, the offer was SGA and #6 for #1. Presti is drinking his own bath water if he think Detroit is taking that. I really like SGA, and I think he can be the best player on a pretty good team someday, but Cade is a legit cornerstone. Add to that it was really a 5 player draft. The pool greatly diminished after Barnes and Suggs
Going to be interesting. NBA always is it seems!
Russ/Harden didn't work a lick and I see a lot of similarities in this move.
Lakers have a ton of appeal to free agents so this move seemed to be almost desperate and a bit too early.
A really massive 2 year commitment to this threesome I'd have just never made.

I think I'd have wanted to get Dinwiddie or someone else via SnT that has longer term upside with AD.

Agreed on Cade: He was a significantly better prospect than Trae Young coming out of B12. No way I'd pass on him at 1.
I like SGA's game and upside too but his ceiling doesn't touch Cade's.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ya there aren't a ton of ground shaking improvements to make this offseason. Beal and Dame dont apear to be on the move. Washington opened up alot of cap flexibility for next season, so I can see Beal even re-upping.

I think Lowery is going to wind up being a bad signing for Miami. Never a good defender and at his age, his offense can go downhill fast.

If I was Dallas, I wouldn't turn my nose up at Kemba. You can get asset back taking his contract. Next season it may be a marketable trade chip as an expiring. And for 2021, I think would be very effective with Luka
I was in on Kemba last off-season but his limits in BOS showed up big-time.
He's either hot and has ball in his hands and pouring in points or he disappears.
The issues he had with Tatum on the ball he'll have with Luka.
But if you can get an asset attached that might be the best deal DAL can make in hat looks like a tragic off-season for them as the last time they have cap cash for a long, long while.

Lowry can defend for an old 1 but his 2 point game is non-existent. 7.2 of his 13 shots per game are from 3.
He's basically a 3 and D version of a PG.
He'd help DAL because any ball handler with a pulse would but 30m a year for 3 years feels like a bad deal coming.
Hollinger had him valued at 25M a year but I'd want the team option on year 3 at that rate tbh.

I'd be very interested in Dragic for about half his current salary or in acquiring an asset to eat his 19M this year.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Howard and Ariza to Lakers? Howard still in shape? No idea how Ariza is these days.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Celtics silent so far in FA. They made a couple trade before the horn, using Thompson and exceptions to being back some expiring deals (Richardson, Dunn). Neither trade is finalized yet, and apparently the teams involved are looking to expand the Dunn deal.

Losing Fournier sucks, but the price tag was steep for him. I like him alot better as a 15 million guy. I think he will help that NY squad though.

Looking at what they have done since Ainge stepped down, its clear that they are looking to create a max salary slot in 2022. An interesting wrinkle could be potential extentions for Smart and Williams. Mannix floated that they were looking to trade Smart, but it got shot down by Himmelsbach. Mannix has as worse rep amongst Celtics fans than Fisher does with Cowboys fans.

A couple names that have been attached to today are Reggie Jackson and Danny Green. Green has a long history with Udoka and would be a big asset onntje court. Jackson is interesting, but we is basically a vet version of a productive player we already have in Pritchard.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Celtics silent so far in FA. They made a couple trade before the horn, using Thompson and exceptions to being back some expiring deals (Richardson, Dunn). Neither trade is finalized yet, and apparently the teams involved are looking to expand the Dunn deal.

Losing Fournier sucks, but the price tag was steep for him. I like him alot better as a 15 million guy. I think he will help that NY squad though.

Looking at what they have done since Ainge stepped down, its clear that they are looking to create a max salary slot in 2022. An interesting wrinkle could be potential extentions for Smart and Williams. Mannix floated that they were looking to trade Smart, but it got shot down by Himmelsbach. Mannix has as worse rep amongst Celtics fans than Fisher does with Cowboys fans.

A couple names that have been attached to today are Reggie Jackson and Danny Green. Green has a long history with Udoka and would be a big asset onntje court. Jackson is interesting, but we is basically a vet version of a productive player we already have in Pritchard.
Gonna need you guys to trade my Mavs Marcus Smart before I start mailing in death threats to both Boston and Dallas FO.

Would love to offer you Dwight Powell and Jalen Brunson. lol.
Then Danny Green would really make sense for you guys.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Howard and Ariza to Lakers? Howard still in shape? No idea how Ariza is these days.
Lakers have signed the entire 1992 Dream team so not sure it matters but I am guessing a handful of those guys are going to be pretty irate in a few months with rotation minutes.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Gonna need you guys to trade my Mavs Marcus Smart before I start mailing in death threats to both Boston and Dallas FO.

Would love to offer you Dwight Powell and Jalen Brunson. lol.
Then Danny Green would really make sense for you guys.
If the plan is to extend Smart and Timelord to ultimately trade them(and FRP's) for a star, I could see Smart being rerouted to Dallas in a 3 team. All depends on who that player is. If that is looking to enter a rebuild, Smart has little use for them.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Celtics bringing back the eternally likable Enes Kanter on vet min

He has a stone age game, but vet min for any guy averaging a double double is pretty solid

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I was a bit surprised the Dubs maintained picks 7 & 14 but really interested in seeing how Kuminga develops. Summer League is what it is but he was pretty impressive in his debut.

I thought Moody had a chance of going Top 10 so was happy to get him at 14. I think he has the makeup even as a rookie to receive regular rotation minutes.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Best guys left in FA?

Lauri -- Pels/Mavs/Hornets? Bulls gonna keep him another year or trade him for a pittance?
Avery Bradley -- Still a solid 2 way guy who doesn't hurt you. Burned some bridges opting out of bubble during a title run.
Dennis Schroder -- Schroder isn't this bad... so weird. Scopred almnost 1000 points last year.
Paul Milsap -- PJ Tucker-esque short big man who can rebound. Rotation worthy for most teams.
Josh Hart -- RFA might need to return to Pels for one more year.
JJ Redick -- Still a great shooter but body is falling apart and he only wants to play in northeast. Likely doesn't want vet min deals and Mavs would gladly use his rights to send elsewhere but needs to happen fast.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was a bit surprised the Dubs maintained picks 7 & 14 but really interested in seeing how Kuminga develops. Summer League is what it is but he was pretty impressive in his debut.

I thought Moody had a chance of going Top 10 so was happy to get him at 14. I think he has the makeup even as a rookie to receive regular rotation minutes.
Summer league is always an interesting follow. There are alot of guys that are never gonna play NBA minutes. However its a decent indicator of how a rookie can play VS NBA players, and how much 2nd year guys worked on their game