Local TV: NBCSP
Radio: 97.5 The Fanatic

Denver Nuggets vs Portland Trail Blazers

Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2019 • 10:00 PM ET
Moda Center • Portland, OR
National TV: ESPN
Local TV: ALT, NBCSNW
Radio: Rip City Radio 620

If your going to make a NBA season thread then do it right @Rockport. You should have your thread renamed to San Antonio Spurs 2019 thread.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Looking forward to it. Curious to see Zion and the supposed improved shot of Ball.

Also interested in watching the 76ers to see if they can take the next step.

Excited to see Doncic and Porzingas paired together.

Ja Morant and JJJ should provide fun glimpses of being a good combo.

Hoping Lauri can take the next step. WCJ is supposedly up over 270 with 6% body fat. He’s not an explosive athlete, but is a sound player fundamentally. Otto and LaVine provide more experience and stability at the wings. Not expecting anything great, but it will be watchable.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Looking forward to it. Curious to see Zion and the supposed improved shot of Ball.

Also interested in watching the 76ers to see if they can take the next step.

Excited to see Doncic and Porzingas paired together.

Ja Morant and JJJ should provide fun glimpses of being a good combo.

Hoping Lauri can take the next step. WCJ is supposedly up over 270 with 6% body fat. He’s not an explosive athlete, but is a sound player fundamentally. Otto and LaVine provide more experience and stability at the wings. Not expecting anything great, but it will be watchable.
Curious to see what kind of role Brandon Ingram has with the Pelicans. Hoping the former Laker players all do well with the Pelicans.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Celtics will be an interesting watch this year. I think they will be a better team than last, but I think they are no better than 3rd in the East.

Kemba is a downgrade from Kyrie, but he has a similar game and should be more willing than Kyrie was to play within Stevens gameplan.

Brown was actually a better player in 2019 than he was in 2018. He had a bench role in 2019 and a slow start which had alot of people down on him, but he became more consistent.

Tatum's shot selection went backwards last year. Too many long 2's. He needs to turn that around

Some optimism from people that Hayward should be better a year now that he is furthur away from that ankle injury. Wait and see I guess.

Robert Williams could get alot of minutes this year. In looking forward to see that. He could be a Capela Lite

After Langford (who I dont think will get much PT in 19/20) we took more mature rookies in Grant Williams and Carsen Edwards. Both will likely be in the rotation. Williams will proproba absorb some of Horfords minutes, and Edwards will like absorb Roziers minutes. Edwards kinda reminds me of Fred VanVleet

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Also, I think it’s going to be interesting to see the player’s actual heights revealed....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Should be a wide open and less predictable season than we have seen in ages.
The only inevitable is how overrated the Lakers are lol.

Clips vs Bucks in Finals makes sense but is hardly written in stone.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Celtics will be an interesting watch this year. I think they will be a better team than last, but I think they are no better than 3rd in the East.

Kemba is a downgrade from Kyrie, but he has a similar game and should be more willing than Kyrie was to play within Stevens gameplan.

Brown was actually a better player in 2019 than he was in 2018. He had a bench role in 2019 and a slow start which had alot of people down on him, but he became more consistent.

Tatum's shot selection went backwards last year. Too many long 2's. He needs to turn that around

Some optimism from people that Hayward should be better a year now that he is furthur away from that ankle injury. Wait and see I guess.

Robert Williams could get alot of minutes this year. In looking forward to see that. He could be a Capela Lite

After Langford (who I dont think will get much PT in 19/20) we took more mature rookies in Grant Williams and Carsen Edwards. Both will likely be in the rotation. Williams will proproba absorb some of Horfords minutes, and Edwards will like absorb Roziers minutes. Edwards kinda reminds me of Fred VanVleet
Celts will be interesting as they had accumulated too much talent.
Guys need roles. There is a reason most good baketball teams are 3 dudes sourrounded by role players.
All-star teams never work unless the talent is so overwhelming.

But the Celts will need J Tatum and J Brown to develop.
Those 2 are the key to the season.
In the NBA it is about elite transformative player at the top of the roster.
Kyrie was not good enough in that role. There's a reason he bolted to join KD.
Hard to be "the guy" and be 6'2" even if you have arguably the game's best non-Curry handle.
I have heard reports Hayward looks elite again after explosion/strength training all off-season os perhaps he can fill one of those 2 roles.
At his best he was a match up nightmare.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think the Clips have easily the best overall roster and a top 5 coach.
They are my faves and should be able to stay int he top 3 in the West then really hit their stride in the playoffs when Kawhi and PG13 can basically hand check dudes without drawing many fouls.

Bucks are probably 2nd for me with Giannis being the best overall talent in the game today. That team is well built with defined roles and coaching.
They are helped by being in the East. It is improving but the talent still resides mostly in the West.

Many pundits put Lakers and 76ers in elite area but those are 2 I am lower on than most.
Lakers are 2 supreme guys and then ballast.
76ers need floor spacing in an era where 3s beats 2s but def have toughness and defense covered. They do have a rton of assets though and could alter team make up before the trade deadline.
No team needed JJ Redick more tho so was odd they let him leave without a top 5 catch and shoot 3 replacement.
Volume matters as much as shooting %.

HOU is going to be hard to figure out. It really comes down to what role Westbrook plays.
Arguably the leagues 2nd best pure athlete after Giannis but far less skilled than the Beard.
If Russ will play defense and push pace to get the Rockets trail 3s that team may be special.
If he feels the need to compete shot for shot with Harden they can plan on being unceremoniously being dumped out of the playoffs again.

Western depth will be insane again.
Utah, Portland, Denver are really good basketball teams that could end up in a WC Finals.
Add that to a falling but still quality GSW, the Lakers, the young Mavs and what the Spurs still offer and the there should be no easy playoff wins in the West.
There may be 10 playoff caliber teams fighting for 8 spots w New Orleans looking to have really reloaded.

The East will probably be a bit softer again and really only go 3-4 teams deep in EC contenders and 5-6 in true playoff quality.
KD returning healthy would really help there.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Celts will be interesting as they had accumulated too much talent.
Guys need roles. There is a reason most good baketball teams are 3 dudes sourrounded by role players.
All-star teams never work unless the talent is so overwhelming.

But the Celts will need J Tatum and J Brown to develop.
Those 2 are the key to the season.
In the NBA it is about elite transformative player at the top of the roster.
Kyrie was not good enough in that role. There's a reason he bolted to join KD.
Hard to be "the guy" and be 6'2" even if you have arguably the game's best non-Curry handle.
I have heard reports Hayward looks elite again after explosion/strength training all off-season os perhaps he can fill one of those 2 roles.
At his best he was a match up nightmare.
Thats one of the things that killed us last year. People not willing to accept roles. I was saying all last year they need to find more minutes for Theis and Semi Ojeleye.

Im really interested in what there draft picks do tbis year. Dont expect much from Langford, might even spend some time in the G League. But Williams and Edwards are they type of high floor/low ceiling guys that can come and a play a role well immediately

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
The only inevitable is how overrated the Lakers are lol.
Who overrated the Lakers?

I think the Lakers should make the playoffs, i don't think they are going to win the title, they have a chance to do so just not a good one. I expect AD and LBJ to both miss some games this season, question will be how many games. If those guys miss too many the Lakers might not even make the playoffs.

So i ask again who's doing the overrating?

kskboys

Reaction score
I think the Clips have easily the best overall roster and a top 5 coach.
They are my faves and should be able to stay int he top 3 in the West then really hit their stride in the playoffs when Kawhi and PG13 can basically hand check dudes without drawing many fouls.

Bucks are probably 2nd for me with Giannis being the best overall talent in the game today. That team is well built with defined roles and coaching.
They are helped by being in the East. It is improving but the talent still resides mostly in the West.

Many pundits put Lakers and 76ers in elite area but those are 2 I am lower on than most.
Lakers are 2 supreme guys and then ballast.
76ers need floor spacing in an era where 3s beats 2s but def have toughness and defense covered. They do have a rton of assets though and could alter team make up before the trade deadline.
No team needed JJ Redick more tho so was odd they let him leave without a top 5 catch and shoot 3 replacement.
Volume matters as much as shooting %.

HOU is going to be hard to figure out. It really comes down to what role Westbrook plays.
Arguably the leagues 2nd best pure athlete after Giannis but far less skilled than the Beard.
If Russ will play defense and push pace to get the Rockets trail 3s that team may be special.
If he feels the need to compete shot for shot with Harden they can plan on being unceremoniously being dumped out of the playoffs again.

Western depth will be insane again.
Utah, Portland, Denver are really good basketball teams that could end up in a WC Finals.
Add that to a falling but still quality GSW, the Lakers, the young Mavs and what the Spurs still offer and the there should be no easy playoff wins in the West.
There may be 10 playoff caliber teams fighting for 8 spots w New Orleans looking to have really reloaded.

The East will probably be a bit softer again and really only go 3-4 teams deep in EC contenders and 5-6 in true playoff quality.
KD returning healthy would really help there.
There are people putting the Lakers in the elite area? Who? Haven't heard anyone say that. The talk about the Lakers is whether they will make the playoffs and if LeBron will stay healthy.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Lakers and rankings et al.

If you are a Lakers fan saying 5-8 seed you are being very realistic and kudos to you.
That's not the norm however.

https://www.ranker.com/list/2020-nba-championship-predictions/ranker-nba
general fan rank is 2nd best in NBA.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...-teams-to-avoid-from-advanced-computer-model/
This has 3rd best.

https://www.lineups.com/articles/nba-power-rankings-2020/
3rd again.

https://www.oddsshark.com/nba/nba-futures
This has Lakers as favorites! --which means the money is actually coming in on them winning it all.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Gonna be some interesting young teams in the West.
Dallas, Sac Town, and New Orleans. If KP is ready to rock, I expect Dallas will be in the playoffs. I think Sacramento makes that leap this year as well. I dont see NO getting there, but they will ne very interesting to watch. I do expect to see a good team not making the playoffs in the West

Johnny23

Reaction score
Really hoping to see the Bulls break even or win about 45 games.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Gonna be some interesting young teams in the West.
Dallas, Sac Town, and New Orleans. If KP is ready to rock, I expect Dallas will be in the playoffs. I think Sacramento makes that leap this year as well. I dont see NO getting there, but they will ne very interesting to watch. I do expect to see a good team not making the playoffs in the West

It will be interesting too see Lonzo’s new shot.... I think he’ll take off in New Orleans. Him and Zion in the open court should be fun to watch.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Really hoping to see the Bulls break even or win about 45 games.

It’s possible... just not sure they are there, yet. To me, there is too much uncertainty defensively. WCJ is a sound defensive player and I think he’ll make strides there. Otto is a good perimeter defender. But LaVine leaves a lot to be desired. Lauri is ok. And Satoransky is ok.

Dunn can defend, but he has mental lapses there. And I’m not sure Dunn should start with the other 4. He isn’t going to provide spacing; he really needs to be attacking... and when LaVine, Lauri, Porter, WCJ are out there... Dunn isn’t going to be a focal point offensively. They are better off with a more pure distributor and spacer with the starting 5.

Dunn can do that on the second team. With Hutch, Valentine, Young, and Feliciano. They’ll need offense and “play making” in the second unit.

Problem is that the first unit is blah defensively as a result... and so is the second unit.

Depending upon the strides Lauri and WCJ make, they might be able to challenge for a playoff spot. If pressed to guess, I’d say no.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Lakers looking good but still preseason too bad we won't see Boogie Cousins in action and I am not sold on Dwight Howard yet.

Johnny23

Reaction score
It’s possible... just not sure they are there, yet. To me, there is too much uncertainty defensively. WCJ is a sound defensive player and I think he’ll make strides there. Otto is a good perimeter defender. But LaVine leaves a lot to be desired. Lauri is ok. And Satoransky is ok.

Dunn can defend, but he has mental lapses there. And I’m not sure Dunn should start with the other 4. He isn’t going to provide spacing; he really needs to be attacking... and when LaVine, Lauri, Porter, WCJ are out there... Dunn isn’t going to be a focal point offensively. They are better off with a more pure distributor and spacer with the starting 5.

Dunn can do that on the second team. With Hutch, Valentine, Young, and Feliciano. They’ll need offense and “play making” in the second unit.

Problem is that the first unit is blah defensively as a result... and so is the second unit.

Depending upon the strides Lauri and WCJ make, they might be able to challenge for a playoff spot. If pressed to guess, I’d say no.
Agreed. I have liked Gaffords' effort and Thad Young has always been a good defensive power forward off the bench. The poor lapses in defense reared their ugly heads tonight again though Lauri showed alot of effort defensively too many lapses especially in transition..

I feel like the starting five will be:

Zach
Lauri
WCJ
Porter,Jr.
Satoransky

White's looking solid and I think he's the to be the firstg guard off the bench. Thad looking like the Sixth man. I think 40+ is best case senario. I would like to see this team make strides and be competitive.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Dunn reminds me a bit of Marcus Smart. He has similar skills. I think if he can find his niche as a D minded combo guard off the bench, he could really help you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.