NBA Season 19-20 -- League Suspended -- See Coronavirus Zone forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Mavs next two are the Kings and Pistons. Two teams under .500 so Dallas could find itself at 18-6 by this time next Saturday. Because beginning next Saturday, the schedule turns up a notch and will show us where Dallas truly is.

Vs Miami, @ Milwaukee, Vs Celtics, @Sixers, @ Raptors

3-2 and I’m happy. 4-1 or better and I’m excited.
Mavs played 5 games in 8 days.
Crazy that they won as many of those as they did.
Was shocked they actually had a chance to win last night at the end of that stretch after sleepwalking thru 3 quarters.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Luka put on a total clinic in Mexico City
Another 40 point triple-double and win

That city is Luka-crazy and had been waiting for him.
Certainly gave them what they wanted!

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Really looking forward to the Mavs/Celtics. Outside of the teams being very good, they are both very high on the "fun" scale.

Shane612

Reaction score
Maybe Luka missing a few games is a blessing in disguise.
This should make Porzingis to take charge.

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was really looking forward to playing him. That would have been a very exciting game, and I dont think we have the Mavs again this year

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Also this may be all around down year for KP. At his height, his recovery could be longer and didnt play for a year and a half. 2020-21, I think he is back to old KP.

You Mavs shouldn't too concerned with him. He will be ok

Shane612

Reaction score
Also this may be all around down year for KP. At his height, his recovery could be longer and didnt play for a year and a half. 2020-21, I think he is back to old KP.

He was solid tonight, 26, 14, 4, including two huge 3s late in the game.

gmb1

Reaction score
So yeah...the Mavs win without Luka. Color me shocked.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

fwiw, if you compare him now to what he was in 2017, which was the FULL season before injury, he's about the same.

2016-17
18.1 PPG, 45% FG, 35.7% 3PT FG, 7.2 RPG, 1.5 APG, 0.7 SPG, 2.0 BPG

2019-20
17.2 PPG, 40% FG, 33.6% 3PT FG, 9.0 RPG, 1.5 APG, 0.5 SPG, 2.0 BPG

So yea, his numbers are down from the career year he was having in 2017-2018. He'll be fine, everyone just needs to give him time.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Time to level up on the expectations for the Mavs from playoff hopefuls to contenders. Carlisle is working some magic again. Curry, THJ, Brunson and Delon are capable of holding the team up until Luka gets back.

Not a fan of the Mavs trading for a 3rd guy right now b/c this bench is showing that's not really necessary.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Time to level up on the expectations for the Mavs from playoff hopefuls to contenders. Carlisle is working some magic again. Curry, THJ, Brunson and Delon are capable of holding the team up until Luka gets back.

Not a fan of the Mavs trading for a 3rd guy right now b/c this bench is showing that's not really necessary.
I wouldnt make a trade for a 3rd star right now if I was the Mavs unless there was something too good to pass on. Get a look at them in the playoffs first, then see what you to add to your core

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
fwiw, if you compare him now to what he was in 2017, which was the FULL season before injury, he's about the same.

2016-17
18.1 PPG, 45% FG, 35.7% 3PT FG, 7.2 RPG, 1.5 APG, 0.7 SPG, 2.0 BPG

2019-20
17.2 PPG, 40% FG, 33.6% 3PT FG, 9.0 RPG, 1.5 APG, 0.5 SPG, 2.0 BPG

So yea, his numbers are down from the career year he was having in 2017-2018. He'll be fine, everyone just needs to give him time.
KP has been more than fine.
People are just so caught up in offensive numbers.
KP is top 10 in the league right now in defensive FG % against for guys who play enough defense to qualify.

His defense has been far better than it ever was in NY and his rebounding which is a major key for Mavs is up a couple per game over expecatation.
He has missed some open looks but that part of the game is really not important for the Mavs who feature an elite offense.
Where they struggled mightily last year post trade was defense and boarding.
No other Mavs big is good on the board.
KP has been a perfect fit and a is big reason they are winning.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I wouldnt make a trade for a 3rd star right now if I was the Mavs unless there was something too good to pass on. Get a look at them in the playoffs first, then see what you to add to your core
More concerned with fit than "star status".
There are some very workable trades out there but you'd really like a starting 3 and D wing that is an upgrade over DFS or a larger rebounding force.

Mavs have THJ, Powell or Maxi, Lee(big expiring deal), JB, Justin Jackson, a very high 2nd rounder,and a 2025 1st to play with and would likely eat long term money for the right guy.

Does Steven Adams fit? Andre Drummond? Robert Covington?
Any of the 3 would be a major upgrade IMHO.

At the end of games rebounding has been an issue.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Just watched 30 for 30 about Dennis Rodman. I learned more about him than I thought I knew. A troubled guy from the start, pretty amazing that he made it to the NBA even more so what he accomplished.
Yup interesting story to those local to Dallas.
Explains a lot of his weirdness too.
To go from SOC, our cities most heavily african-american high school to living with a white family in oklahoma is a massive culture shift.
A lot of his issues are self-borne but you can feel for him when you read his history.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You should be, at least a little.
Bucks is the best team in the East.
Beat the Bucks at their place minus Luka, beat the Laker at their place and should have won at home as well if ref call was made as suggested after officials review.

Far better than people expected, even the homers like me.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Beat the Bucks at their place minus Luka, beat the Laker at their place and should have won at home as well if ref call was made as suggested after officials review.

Far better than people expected, even the homers like me.

Yea...such a great decision to trade KP for first round picks in 2021 and 2023. No doubt that will pay dividends :facepalm:

In all seriousness, it's hard to say it was more beneficial to trade him as opposed to rolling the dice and him walking in 2021. The two first rounders will end up being 20+ at best by the time we get them.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yea...such a great decision to trade KP for first round picks in 2021 and 2023. No doubt that will pay dividends :facepalm:

In all seriousness, it's hard to say it was more beneficial to trade him as opposed to rolling the dice and him walking in 2021. The two first rounders will end up being 20+ at best by the time we get them.
NY was in a bad bad spot and likely had to get what they could.
But even if KP was good they werent winning anything.
They were short a lot of pieces.
This may well work out for them in the long run.

If they are content to simply keep tanking they will eventually land a generational guy to build around. Or they will have enough money to go get 3-4 guys who can really play all in one window and build that way plus with young draftees to fill out.

It's always darkest just before dawn.

Knicks fans gotta let KP go tho man. He is on their mind non-stop. Knicks twitter blows up every time KP has a mediocre game much less a bad one lol.
Not sure why he got singled out with all the guys who didn't wanna be there including Melo and even past Knicks legends like Oakley getting banned.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
NY was in a bad bad spot and likely had to get what they could.
But even if KP was good they werent winning anything.
They were short a lot of pieces.
This may well work out for them in the long run.

If they are content to simply keep tanking they will eventually land a generational guy to build around. Or they will have enough money to go get 3-4 guys who can really play all in one window and build that way plus with young draftees to fill out.

It's always darkest just before dawn.

Knicks fans gotta let KP go tho man. He is on their mind non-stop. Knicks twitter blows up every time KP has a mediocre game much less a bad one lol.
Not sure why he got singled out with all the guys who didn't wanna be there including Melo and even past Knicks legends like Oakley getting banned.

personally, I’m still a KP fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.