News: NBC: Jaylon Smith expects to be better than Notre Dame 100 percent

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Because some people said he would never be the player he was in college, other people said "he will never play again"... not quite sure who some of those people are
Now you are just a troll. I said last season I was wrong about that. Jaylon just isn't convinced yet.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Your continued bitterness over anything and everything Smith is hilarious. You've moved on from the whole "he'll never play" to now criticizing him for typical player speak.

LOL.
Bitterness? I'm happy for Jaylon. I ate crow last season for being wrong about him. I'm over it. But you obviously are not. It's yourproblem. I just wonder why he's stating he obvious.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I don't see how anyone could not root for a person of Jaylon Smith's character to succeed. I have and always will.

But at the same time, I want to start seeing results rather than continuing to hear players, the team, or fans talk about them. I'm at the "show me" stage. The team invested the 34th overall pick in 2016 on him. About as close to a first rounder as you can get without being one. That's a significant investment, and it's now going on three years time.

Between the investments made in Smith, the 2nd rounder and big money contract made in Sean Lee, and now this year's 1st rounder made in Leighton Vander Esch, this team's linebacking corps not only needs to be good, they need to be great.

I'm not sure that there's a team in the league with more invested in that position group. For as much as the Cowboys have invested in their offensive line, at least some consider them to be the league's best. Nobody's ever said anything close about the linebackers. I hope that given the investments made, they start.

It'll be interesting to see how this year pans out.

We have huge potential at multiple spots on the roster

LB- an all pro, a player deemed top 5 in the draft that fell due to injury, and the 19th overall pick. All three come with injury concerns.

DLine- an all pro, a player deemed a top 12 player in the draft that fell due to off field issues, a DT that averaged nearly a sack a game last season, and a 1st rounder.

Oline- three all pros, a 1st round talent that went undrafted due to off field concerns, and a 2nd rounde who was widely considered a 1st round talent.

All pro RB

CB- a 2nd roundee who played well, a 3rd rounder who dropped due to legal issues who also played well, and a 1st rounder who played well in his sole season at CB.

We have our weaknesses for sure, but we could end up with some elite groups if everything comes together.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Panthers have three former first round picks at LB - Luke Kuechly, Thomas Davis and Shaq Thompson.

Wow! That is a huge investment! Good for them that many consider theirs the best group in the league.

Sydla

Reaction score
Bitterness? I'm happy for Jaylon. I ate crow last season for being wrong about him. I'm over it. But you obviously are not. It's yourproblem. I just wonder why he's stating he obvious.

You come into a thread where Smith makes standard, typical playerspeak answers to questions from the media and you want to take pot shots at him for his answers.

Yeah you sure seem like you are over it.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
While I understand your position, I don’t agree with it.

What is he suppose to say? “I plan on coming back to be a lesser player and disappoint everyone?”

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You come into a thread where Smith makes standard, typical playerspeak answers to questions from the media and you want to take pot shots at him for his answers.

Yeah you sure seem like you are over it.
Nope, you just love Captain Jaylon Obvious.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
"My overall knowledge of the game has improved each and every day, and [I’m physically] going to improve as well."

Reasonably profound statement. I like the fact that he is addressing the mental-side of the game and not just the physical. I have read elsewhere that Smith is a student of the game. I would like to think that Sean Lee has had some influence in Smith's development.

Sydla

Reaction score
Nope, you just love Captain Jaylon Obvious.

And there it is. When JoeKing can't debate/defend his bizarre positions/statements, he turns to the ridiculous.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Sydla

Reaction score
Jaylon just needs to shutup and and be better. We don't need to be told about it. If he's better we'll see it with our own eyes.

So......... if the media asks him a question, he should just ignore them and not answer them?

And if that happened, I have little doubt you'd be hear talking about what a jerk he is because he refused to talk the media.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
While I understand your position, I don’t agree with it.

What is he suppose to say? “I plan on coming back to be a lesser player and disappoint everyone?”
He suppose to let his play speak for him. No one else is saying they are better as a pro than they were in college. It's stating the obvious.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
If Jaylon makes a leap this year and looks like the player from Notre Dame and if Sean Lee stays healthy, my goodness our LBs will be nasty.

Jaylon, Gregory and Vander Esch are all huge X factors. If one reaches their potential, that's a big win. If two reach their potential, we are gonna be scary. If all three do, hoo boy mama.

Ehhhh. So many ifs though. You can't count on Lee to ever stay healthy and Jaylon is still a huge wildcard that doesn't look right on the field. And Vander is a rookie.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
And there it is. When JoeKing can't debate/defend his bizarre positions/statements, he turns to the ridiculous.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
And Sydla is down for the count. One.. Two... Three...

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So......... if the media asks him a question, he should just ignore them and not answer them?

And if that happened, I have little doubt you'd be hear talking about what a jerk he is because he refused to talk the media.
He wasn't asked about that, he came up with that "revelation" on his own.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Everyone rooting for this kid. We would love for him to become better than nd Jaylon but I’d just be happy w how he was AT Notre Dame. Kid was a beast. Let’s see it on the field.