News: NBC: Jaylon Smith expects to be better than Notre Dame 100 percent

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
The season hasn’t started.

is he suppose to say “no comment” when approached by reporters during the off-season?

He suppose to let his play speak for him. No one else is saying they are better as a pro than they were in college. It's stating the obvious.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Jaylons problem is he doesnt react to the play fast enough

And in that case, is that a physical problem or lack of "football smarts" or just lack of experience in the pro game?

Will at least be interesting to see what happens, whehter it's good or bad...

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith expects to be “better than Notre Dame 100 percent”
Posted by Charean Williams on May 16, 2018, 10:14 PM EDT
gettyimages-867946236-e1524768007207.jpg

Getty Images

No longer in need of an ankle foot orthosis (AFO) brace for drop foot, Cowboys linebacker Jaylon Smith has no more reminders of his devastating knee injury from two years ago. Instead, he sees only a bright future.

“From the start, people thought I’d never be able to play the game again,” Smith said, via Kate Hairopoulos of the Dallas Morning News. “I’ve been able to accomplish that and each and every day I’ve gotten better. Last year, each game I improved.

“I’m getting there. I’m going to be better than Notre Dame 100 percent. My overall knowledge of the game has improved each and every day, and [I’m physically] going to improve as well.”

Smith’s knee injury in the final game of his Notre Dame career — on New Year’s Day 2016 — severely damaged his peroneal nerve. He sat out all of 2016 in a redshirt season of sorts before playing 16 games with six starts last season while becoming one of the rare NFL players to play with an AFO brace.

He doesn’t expect to need it this season.

“I’m happy,” Smith said. “There’s a great chance that I won’t have to play with it this year. I haven’t wore it since the offseason training began, [and I] want to keep it going.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...cts-to-be-better-than-notre-dame-100-percent/

it just moved.

Sydla

Reaction score
Depends on the question. What are you suggesting he was asked, eactly?

So after ranting about the things he said and arguing that he just offered up his commentary to a reporter and should shut up and just play, now you basically admit you don't even know what he was asked. So how in the world could you then determine what he said was wrong in your eyes if you don't even know what he was asked?

The more you write, the more you eventually end up sinking your own positions. It's really quite entertaining.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
New Year’s Day 2016

So the start of camp will be about 2 1/2 years since the injury. I'm not a doctor (don't play one on TV either), but it would seem to me that his recovery should be complete, or nearly so. Remember they said the nerve would regenerate, if it was going to, at a rate of about an inch a month, so unless the man's lower leg is 3 feet long, the nerve has had plenty of time to grow back. Of course he would have to get the nerve all the way back to be able to practice fully, so that might be a factor.

I'm just going to wait and see...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish I could get more behind the Jaylon hype. He's a good guy, and his draft selection party was legitimately heart warming. I just wish he looked like a better player so far.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So after ranting about the things he said and arguing that he just offered up his commentary to a reporter and should shut up and just play, now you basically admit you don't even know what he was asked. So how in the world could you then determine what he said was wrong in your eyes if you don't even know what he was asked?

The more you write, the more you eventually end up sinking your own positions. It's really quite entertaining.
LOL Monologing like the evil villain before delivering the fatal blow to the hero. Please just answer my question.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"My overall knowledge of the game has improved each and every day, and [I’m physically] going to improve as well."

Reasonably profound statement. I like the fact that he is addressing the mental-side of the game and not just the physical. I have read elsewhere that Smith is a student of the game. I would like to think that Sean Lee has had some influence in Smith's development.

I sincerely hope so, because I saw his biggest issues last year as mental ones rather than physical. At times, he looked clueless out there. Dog chasing cars clueless. It was shocking given that he had a year in the program on the mental side, and sat next to Coach Sean Lee every day.

That's where I hope to see his biggest improvement

Sydla

Reaction score
LOL Monologing like the evil villain before delivering the fatal blow to the hero. Please just answer my question.

You mean the question you asked about what questions he was asked after you ranted about his answers?

It's times like this when I wonder if you are just trolling for fun or really this ignorant in real life.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You mean the question you asked about what questions he was asked after you ranted about his answers?

It's times like this when I wonder if you are just trolling for fun or really this ignorant in real life.
Seriously. What do you think he was asked to merit the answer he gave?