News: NBC: Jaylon Smith expects to be better than Notre Dame 100 percent

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
No. I guess he suppose to yell, "I feel good" and go into a James Brown dance.
I'm waiting for the "AFO? Let me drop this on you..."
giphy.gif

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I sincerely hope so, because I saw his biggest issues last year as mental ones rather than physical. At times, he looked clueless out there. Dog chasing cars clueless. It was shocking given that he had a year in the program on the mental side, and sat next to Coach Sean Lee every day.

That's where I hope to see his biggest improvement
And 4 years of college and he looked that lost? That is a concern to me, I expect a bit of a learning curve, but totally lost seems to be excessive...

DiResta

Reaction score
I sincerely hope so, because I saw his biggest issues last year as mental ones rather than physical. At times, he looked clueless out there. Dog chasing cars clueless. It was shocking given that he had a year in the program on the mental side, and sat next to Coach Sean Lee every day.

That's where I hope to see his biggest improvement
understandable
Tyron Smith is a beast of a player but there were times last year he looked awful

my opinion is that he had big problems adjusting to the game because he was very limited physically

with Jaylon
he couldnt commit well because he couldnt change direction well enough
he couldnt stand up blockers early on because he didnt want to anchor his foot
early on he waited in the hole because he could get shook pretty easy (and he did at times) he played high and had trouble breaking down

if hes doing all this **** this year then im an idiot and wow he must have lost all instincts that people raved about since HS
but if he looks completely different then i wont be surprised because when you are physically injured you prob cant perform your physical job well

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You mean the question you asked about what questions he was asked after you ranted about his answers?

It's times like this when I wonder if you are just trolling for fun or really this ignorant in real life.
I'll do you one better.
You mean the question you asked about what questions he was asked after you ranted about his answers?

It's times like this when I wonder if you are just trolling for fun or really this ignorant in real life.
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/05/17/here’s-why-jaylon-smith-plans-be-“better-notre-dame-100-percent”

There is the article. Where is the question that merited Jaylon's responce?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I feel very confident in Jaylon to become a big impact player that scouts saw before the injury. After the injuries many said he would never play again and he proved them wrong. This kid is a hard worker and willing to do what he has to do, to become a top player. I think his return last season where he had 81 tackles 1 sack and 2 forced fumble was not bad for a guy who has returned to the game after 1 plus year absence from the game and I think bigger things lay ahead for him.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
So the start of camp will be about 2 1/2 years since the injury. I'm not a doctor (don't play one on TV either), but it would seem to me that his recovery should be complete, or nearly so. Remember they said the nerve would regenerate, if it was going to, at a rate of about an inch a month, so unless the man's lower leg is 3 feet long, the nerve has had plenty of time to grow back. Of course he would have to get the nerve all the way back to be able to practice fully, so that might be a factor.

I'm just going to wait and see...

His nerve and muscles will regenerate at their own pace. IDK what's going on with him. I was guessing. An educated guess but still a guess. Like you said.......we'll see.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I love how every player we have is optimistic about next season. I really can't wait until the season starts.

That was true even in the Campo years. Every year was the year when Rocket Ishmael was going to torch the league and this was the year we were going to make the playoffs.

Undefeated

Reaction score
Now you are just a troll. I said last season I was wrong about that. Jaylon just isn't convinced yet.
I think he's convinced he's better than college Jaylon. A lot of it probably has to do with his football knowledge. You are the one who's not convinced he's better. If you do think he is, you wouldn't suggest that Jaylon is only trying to convince himself instead of it being Jaylon just saying that he feels like he's back and even better than his college self.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I think he's convinced he's better than college Jaylon. A lot of it probably has to do with his football knowledge. You are the one who's not convinced he's better. If you do think he is, you wouldn't suggest that Jaylon is only trying to convince himself instead of it being Jaylon just saying that he feels like he's back and even better than his college self.
You are in no position to tell me what I think, especially when it contradicts what I have already said I think. What are you the thought police? Think about the statement Jaylon made. It seems to be quite obvious he is better now so why does he feel the need to say the obvious? Read the article where he is quoted and notice the question that spurred that responce in omitted. Was there even a question? If there wasn't, then it suggest him saying that without being asked means he's trying to convince himself. IMO.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Sounds like not quite normal to me with waffling on the AFO brace.

Same impression for me.

Better than Notre Dame, but he's counting knowledge and experience.

I want to know how the nerve is. If he's saying he may not need the brace, that's also saying he may, which says he'd need it *today* and is hoping for improvement to where he wouldn't need it.

Sounds like he has made significant progress with the nerve, isn't all the way back functionally, and isn't sure he will be.

And this is from a guy who thought he'd be ready to go toward the end of his rookie season.

Sounded like the trainer last year thought he'd be football functional 100% this year. They've walked that back a little.

Undefeated

Reaction score
You are in no position to tell me what I think, especially when it contradicts what I have already said I think. What are you the thought police? Think about the statement Jaylon made. It seems to be quite obvious he is better now so why does he feel the need to say the obvious? Read the article where he is quoted and notice the question that spurred that responce in omitted. Was there even a question? If there wasn't, then it suggest him saying that without being asked means he's trying to convince himself. IMO.
How is it him trying to convince himself instead of him giving an update on how he's feeling? And if he's "obviously" better, why does he need to convince himself? IMO, the reason he probably said something is because his injury is a huge part of his story and would just like to address it by letting fans know that he's back, because some people might not think he's at that level.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith expects to be “better than Notre Dame 100 percent”
Posted by Charean Williams on May 16, 2018, 10:14 PM EDT
gettyimages-867946236-e1524768007207.jpg

Getty Images

No longer in need of an ankle foot orthosis (AFO) brace for drop foot, Cowboys linebacker Jaylon Smith has no more reminders of his devastating knee injury from two years ago. Instead, he sees only a bright future.

“From the start, people thought I’d never be able to play the game again,” Smith said, via Kate Hairopoulos of the Dallas Morning News. “I’ve been able to accomplish that and each and every day I’ve gotten better. Last year, each game I improved.

“I’m getting there. I’m going to be better than Notre Dame 100 percent. My overall knowledge of the game has improved each and every day, and [I’m physically] going to improve as well.”

Smith’s knee injury in the final game of his Notre Dame career — on New Year’s Day 2016 — severely damaged his peroneal nerve. He sat out all of 2016 in a redshirt season of sorts before playing 16 games with six starts last season while becoming one of the rare NFL players to play with an AFO brace.

He doesn’t expect to need it this season.

“I’m happy,” Smith said. “There’s a great chance that I won’t have to play with it this year. I haven’t wore it since the offseason training began, [and I] want to keep it going.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...cts-to-be-better-than-notre-dame-100-percent/

Going into his 3rd season and he isnt even sure he will be able to play with the brace? Would the Cowboys draft him again knowing what they know now? This will be the key season to answer that question.