Video: NBC Sports-NFL offseason examination:Dallas Cowboys are built to win now

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Dallas made it to the divisional round last year.

Off the top of my head I cant think of anyone we lost besides Linehan, Beasley, Swaim, Wilson, Rod Smith. Linehan was awful and Beasley is the only player that isnt bottom bin on that list.

Cobb and Witten at least offset Beasley and Swaim. Pollard probably cant be worse than Rod Smith. Quinn, Hyder, Covington, Hill is a pretty big talent injection along the DL. Boy wonder Kellen Moore cant be worse than Linehan. McGovern is a nice addition.

Across the board, the roster and coaching seem to have improved or stayed neutral. There were no real steps back anywhere. Then you factor in how young this team is, they're all now just more experienced. You've got Dak, Gallup, Cooper with a full offseason together.

I dont know, I feel pretty good about this year. We're basically a better version of last year and we won a playoff game last year so it follows we should have some success this year.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Built to win now is just another way of saying, when Dak gets his huge payday the Cowboys will backslide. So it's now or good luck down the road.

Flamma

Reaction score
I dont know, I feel pretty good about this year. We're basically a better version of last year and we won a playoff game last year so it follows we should have some success this year.

I agree. What Dallas has done this offseason is a stark difference from what they did in the offseason following the 2016 season. Barring any major injuries I'm expecting a 12-4 season.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
“They’re stacked...there’s NO doubt about it”.
“If they don’t just obliterate you, can they match WITS with you“—Sims

Getting out-schemed can’t happen again. The fact that the factors that enabled it to happen over and over have been given yet another chance is the only thing troubling about this team.

Maybe they finally get that their overall philosophy is a poor one(as most see) and change it.

Last edited:

Knotamus

Reaction score
Built to win now is just another way of saying, when Dak gets his huge payday the Cowboys will backslide. So it's now or good luck down the road.
:facepalm:
Yeah.. because the only teams winning SBs are the ones that have QBs playing on the rookie contracts:rolleyes:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“They’re stacked...there’s NO doubt about it”.
“If they don’t just obliterate you, can they match WITS with you“—Sims

Getting out-schemed can’t happen again. The fact that the factors that enabled it to happen over and over have been given yet another chance is the only thing troubling about this team.

Maybe they finally get that their overall philosophy is a poor one(as most see) and change it.

I thought both guys were really civil and make it a point of emphasis not to simply come out and bury the coach, even if that's exactly what their comments and criticisms did. They did it with great tact, never directly saying "coaching has let them down" even when they repeatedly mentioned needing more "creativity", which is, in fact directly connected to coaching. Coaches can and need to be creative, players don't have that luxury. When a coach does it, it's a good thing, when the players do it, it's "freelancing", and frowned upon.

So every time they mention "creativity", it's a direct shot at the lack of creativity from the coaching staff.

But as Simms said, this team is "stacked", and there's "no excuse" why they shouldn't be a contender this year. If they fall short, it will be the direct result of subpar coaching.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This team is ready to go and talent level is higher today than its been the last 23 years with the only Exception at QB which will be the make or break for our team this coming season.
Our team needs to win when Zeke is not rushing for over 75 yards.....

DanA

Reaction score
Dallas made it to the divisional round last year.

Off the top of my head I cant think of anyone we lost besides Linehan, Beasley, Swaim, Wilson, Rod Smith. Linehan was awful and Beasley is the only player that isnt bottom bin on that list.

Cobb and Witten at least offset Beasley and Swaim. Pollard probably cant be worse than Rod Smith. Quinn, Hyder, Covington, Hill is a pretty big talent injection along the DL. Boy wonder Kellen Moore cant be worse than Linehan. McGovern is a nice addition.

Across the board, the roster and coaching seem to have improved or stayed neutral. There were no real steps back anywhere. Then you factor in how young this team is, they're all now just more experienced. You've got Dak, Gallup, Cooper with a full offseason together.

This! Everywhere seems better, even if it's just a little. As you mention, if Cobb can be better than Beasley (very possible) we look better across the board.

Coaching:
OC - Agree, Kellen can't be worse than Linehan
QB coach - Kitna and his experience I think is better suited to the role

QB - Dak should show natural 4th-year incremental improvement
RB - More depth and certainly more versatile, Zeke might still be improving
TE - Witten > Swaim + Jarwin & Shultz should improve
OT - Collins might still be improving, perhaps some better depth (UDFA's), hoping for a healthier Tyron Smith, with the potential for Williams to maybe take OT snaps.
OG - Williams is bigger/stronger, Martin should be healthier, more depth than previous years (Looney, Su'a Filo, McGovern)
OC: Frederick back is a massive improvement, McGovern I suspect is better than Looney
WR: Full season of Cooper, Gallup should progress, Cobb more versatile than Beasley, Austin and Hurns were solid and if fit could have better season, Wilson/Brown and competition for the last spot or two IMO is better.

DE: Quinn is a big improvement, Taco & Armstrong should improve. If we get Gregory back then depth looks really good.
DT: Hill + Covington > Price + Ross, minimum they are better depth, could even be starters
LB: LVE and Jaylon still improving, Covington is improving.
CB: All players across the board are young and improving
S: Iloka is a better 3rd S, maybe even starter. Donovan adds depth, Fraizer should be healthier, Woods is young and improving

KR/PR: Austin healthy and Pollard should represent an improvement over "fair catch" Beasley.

Objectively, I think every single position looks better with perhaps the exception of slot WR.