Video: NBC Sports-NFL offseason examination:Dallas Cowboys are built to win now

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
this is why we should have gone all in and spend the money on Earl Thomas or Landon Collins.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Dallas made it to the divisional round last year.

Off the top of my head I cant think of anyone we lost besides Linehan, Beasley, Swaim, Wilson, Rod Smith. Linehan was awful and Beasley is the only player that isnt bottom bin on that list.

Cobb and Witten at least offset Beasley and Swaim. Pollard probably cant be worse than Rod Smith. Quinn, Hyder, Covington, Hill is a pretty big talent injection along the DL. Boy wonder Kellen Moore cant be worse than Linehan. McGovern is a nice addition.

Across the board, the roster and coaching seem to have improved or stayed neutral. There were no real steps back anywhere. Then you factor in how young this team is, they're all now just more experienced. You've got Dak, Gallup, Cooper with a full offseason together.

I dont know, I feel pretty good about this year. We're basically a better version of last year and we won a playoff game last year so it follows we should have some success this year.
One thing you left out, they're getting their first team All-Pro Center back which is huge.

Frederick back plus Cooper for the full season plus more D line depth on an already 11 win roster is scary

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
:facepalm:
Yeah.. because the only teams winning SBs are the ones that have QBs playing on the rookie contracts:rolleyes:
There have been several teams who've paid huge contracts to QB's because they thought their teams were in contention. After giving out those huge QB contracts those teams struggled to stay above .500 in the following years. And I'm compiling this list just off of memory, no research.

--Ben Roethlisberger. After his second Superbowl appearance the team didnt even make the playoffs the following year.
--Joe Flacco
--Tony Romo
--Russell Wilson (second team friendly contract)
--David Carr
--Micheal Vick in Philly
--Mark Sanchez
--Cam Newton
--Andrew Luck
--Mathew Stafford
--Matt Ryan
--Matt Schaub
And its happening right now to the Vikings with Kirk Cousins.

And I'm sure I forgot a couple of people. So do your research and tell me I'm wrong.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Teams have to recover a little after handing out huge contracts to QB's. It's true. I know because I pay attention to what's going on in the NFL. So do your research and tell me I'm wrong.

Huge contracts and struggling to stay above .500 have been going hand and hand here recently.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Quote: Holy Cow...these Joneses have studs all over the roster. They have a good eye for talent and this team is loaded...now, coach them to the NFC Championship game...and earn it!

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Still hamstrung by a head coach who can't win a battle of wits against opposing head coaches.
Red zone scoring and coaching are the make or break issues. Red zone is really part of scheme (play execution not withstanding.)

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Teams have to recover a little after handing out huge contracts to QB's. It's true. I know because I pay attention to what's going on in the NFL. So do your research and tell me I'm wrong.

Huge contracts and struggling to stay above .500 have been going hand and hand here recently.

Are you saying you know what goes on and others or myself do not?
Many fans pay attention to what goes on. Not just you as you claim.

So post your findings then as opposed to just saying it. You brought it up. So prove it. Don’t tell me to do your research for you. As that is a BS statement from you.
I see what type of poster you are already. Come in and make statements then not offer proof, but yet get on others for not doing your work for you.

Get over yourself and prove it.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Are you saying you know what goes on and others or myself do not?
Many fans pay attention to what goes on. Not just you as you claim.

So post your findings then as opposed to just saying it. You brought it up. So prove it. Don’t tell me to do your research for you. As that is a BS statement from you.
I see what type of poster you are already. Come in and make statements then not offer proof, but yet get on others for not doing your work for you.

Get over yourself and prove it.
I dont like to argue. I dont think I should be shamed by my post, but you put the shame face on my post like I should be ashamed of my post. So why should I be ashamed of my post? Explain that to me. Is it asking too much of you to get you to explain something you posted.

Please do not respond. I dont like to argue so let's just let it go.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont like to argue. I dont think I should be shamed by my post, but you put the shame face on my post like I should be ashamed of my post. So why should I be ashamed of my post? Explain that to me. Is it asking too much of you to get you to explain something you posted.

Please do not respond. I dont like to argue so let's just let it go.

I posted as you tried to shame me and other by stating you pay attention as if other do not.
I was not trying to shame you, I was just pointing out, please do not make claims then tell someone to go do the research.

Not trying to argue, so it is over and done with

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I posted as you tried to shame me and other by stating you pay attention as if other do not.
I was not trying to shame you, I was just pointing out, please do not make claims then tell someone to go do the research.

Not trying to argue, so it is over and done with
Oh...ok. Yeah that was kind of cocky for me to say. My bad, didn't mean to upset you.

To tell you the truth I just had to go back and read what I said. But yeah I should not have said that.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
“Built to lose” describes a team whose philosophy is to lose and stockpile draft packs until they’re certain “this is their year.”

But it’s never their year. The philosophy just perpetuates losing because the NFL is so incredibly fluid.

Unfortunately, it’s how half the posters around here want the team run.

Verdict

Reaction score
This! Everywhere seems better, even if it's just a little. As you mention, if Cobb can be better than Beasley (very possible) we look better across the board.

Coaching:
OC - Agree, Kellen can't be worse than Linehan
QB coach - Kitna and his experience I think is better suited to the role

QB - Dak should show natural 4th-year incremental improvement
RB - More depth and certainly more versatile, Zeke might still be improving
TE - Witten > Swaim + Jarwin & Shultz should improve
OT - Collins might still be improving, perhaps some better depth (UDFA's), hoping for a healthier Tyron Smith, with the potential for Williams to maybe take OT snaps.
OG - Williams is bigger/stronger, Martin should be healthier, more depth than previous years (Looney, Su'a Filo, McGovern)
OC: Frederick back is a massive improvement, McGovern I suspect is better than Looney
WR: Full season of Cooper, Gallup should progress, Cobb more versatile than Beasley, Austin and Hurns were solid and if fit could have better season, Wilson/Brown and competition for the last spot or two IMO is better.

DE: Quinn is a big improvement, Taco & Armstrong should improve. If we get Gregory back then depth looks really good.
DT: Hill + Covington > Price + Ross, minimum they are better depth, could even be starters
LB: LVE and Jaylon still improving, Covington is improving.
CB: All players across the board are young and improving
S: Iloka is a better 3rd S, maybe even starter. Donovan adds depth, Fraizer should be healthier, Woods is young and improving

KR/PR: Austin healthy and Pollard should represent an improvement over "fair catch" Beasley.

Objectively, I think every single position looks better with perhaps the exception of slot WR.
Tight end is probably a step back. Witten is done. Sean Lee may be a step back from Wilson. This isn’t the Witten or Lee of 5 years ago.

TheStarInFLA

Reaction score
I agree. What Dallas has done this offseason is a stark difference from what they did in the offseason following the 2016 season. Barring any major injuries I'm expecting a 12-4 season.
Even with the much tougher schedule?

Tussinman

Reaction score
Even with the much tougher schedule?
I don't think it's much tougher to be honest. The NFC portion will be a little harder but the AFC portion will be a lot easier.

We could Easily flip are afc record next year (last year we went freaking 1-3, against the afc east we could realistically got 3-1)

GenoT

Reaction score
We likely have the talent to win now but the question remains, do we have the coaching?

Won’t know until the end of the regular season...and hopefully beyond.